cysts?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > cysts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Default cysts?

Ok so a year and a half ago i wad out hiking bear foot with my mosin slipped and my tail bone landed on the stock of my rifle i thought i broke my tail bone but it turned out i had a cyst and now i have another one after doing some research no one is really sure what causes it weather trama or in grown hairs. I also found out its pretty common and in ww2 it was called jeep disease because they thought it was from riding in jeeps in rough country also i found out that people live with reoccuring cyst for years and mostly men.

I guess what im asking is does anyone else have these cyst pop up? They suck plain and simple

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7315 Times on 4399 Posts
Likes Given: 8971

My oldest son had one bout of this pylonidal cyst. He had his cut open and drained. Then it was packed with gauze for a couple weeks while it healed from the inside out. The surgeon said if it occurred again, he might want to consider having the whole cyst sac surgically removed and it would not recur. My son's cyst never came back. But since this is not the first time for you, I would consider having it surgically removed and be done with it forever. It's a relatively easy procedure and it is certainly easier to live with recouping from the surgical procedure than living with the constant pain of this cyst.

Please, consult a doctor for some relief.

People Like This 
Old 12-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have one, has does my father and younger brother. My father had his surgically removed about 15 years ago. He went through recovery which looked to be a painful experience and 9 months after the surgery it returned. I choose to live with the inconvenience of mine, but you may very well have better luck with the surgery. I will caution to keep a very close watch on it, they can and will become gangrenous under the right circumstances.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #4

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Im sorry to say that i had the surgery with the first one. First they tried packing it but then it didnt go so well so they cut it out. This one showed up about and inch or so from the scar where they cut the other one out.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1843 Times on 1262 Posts
Likes Given: 672

Witch hazel will make the skin over the septic part of the cyst peel away. It should be gone in a few days. When you notice the skin peeling off the cyst soak it with a hot compress or take a long bath.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Had a cyst removed from my neck after it swelled and burst a couple of times. Scar itches now and then, otherwise no problems.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #7

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

I had one removed from my upper back. Done as an outpatient with local anesthetic. I was back at work the same day. Not a big deal at all.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #8

Liked 2290 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 500

If you've never had it addressed, I would recommend letting a doctor evaluate it the next time it is actively draining. As these recur the walls if the cyst can track inward and expand each time they occur. If this happens enough they can actually cover a lot of territory under the surface of the skin. Some track inward and have on some occasions made a outlet through the intestinal wall. These are known as a communicating cyst. Others can develop tunneling tract that run under the surface if the skin for several inches to the sides or above the original outlet.

The earlier you can get one resolved the better. The majority of the cysts I've seen treated with simple incision and drainage, followed by antibiotics and daily packing and dressing changes, seem to resolve. I've seen more cysts have recurring problems when they have become severe enough that they try to excise the entire cyst and then stitching it closed. Often one of the smaller tracts is missed, closed off and becomes a new cyst. If these new cysts are treated early, then they often don't come back. But that is usually because they are opened, drained and packed, and left open and allowed to heal from the floor of the cyst back to the surface of the skin, preventing a new pocket from forming. That is the big key, getting the cyst to heal from the bottom up without leaving any pockets behind.

Not all cysts are created equal. I've dealt with treating cysts on crew members from nickel sized to odd shapes that were bigger than a silver dollar. Early intervention makes things simpler with a better prognosis for preventing recurrence.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 12-28-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Never had one but I'm sure I'd take a razor to it. Wish you luck.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #10

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
Ok so a year and a half ago i wad out hiking bear foot with my mosin slipped and my tail bone landed on the stock of my rifle i thought i broke my tail bone but it turned out i had a cyst and now i have another one after doing some research no one is really sure what causes it weather trama or in grown hairs. I also found out its pretty common and in ww2 it was called jeep disease because they thought it was from riding in jeeps in rough country also i found out that people live with reoccuring cyst for years and mostly men. I guess what im asking is does anyone else have these cyst pop up? They suck plain and simple
Had one on my neck, required two surgeries.
You should def have it looked at, my uncle had one in nearly the same place as mine, turned out to be cancer and killed him in 9 mos.. Please do not ignore these things..

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.