Curing Jumpiness

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Curing Jumpiness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Curing Jumpiness

Start laughing now... but it's still a problem for me

I have been to a few beginner handgun classes at a range near my brother's house. I have used loaner .38 revolvers and a 9mm Glock 26.
Others there have used the same and similar guns...no .50 cal or machine guns, not even Colt .45s

I'm jumpy. Despite the fact that I'm wearing hearing protection and I'm focused on others shooting, I am jumpy.

Yes, laugh all you want...nearly every time a shot is fired, whether it's 5 lanes away and I'm looking at that lane or not, I jump.

I feel like such a .... wimp, I guess is the right word.

Doesn't happen when I'm firing, thank goodness

Is this something that goes away with time/experience? I am one of those who's more aware of what's happening around him than the average person and I don't have much time and experience yet.

Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

one word zanax

The only times in this nations history that anything great happened it was because normal men put aside their petty differences and fight for a common cause.

Chester

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution.)

Old 04-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Maybe spending more time around the noise will help you become acclimated to it. As for hearing protection, try using a combination of foam earplugs along with the over-ear protection. Maybe if the sound is really deadened, it won't bother you as much.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #4

So, is this problem not something everyone encounters in the beginning?

I mean, I was hoping it would get better with time or with some sort of practice.

I'll try both types of hearing protection-right now I just use headphones

Old 04-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

It's normal for beginning shooters to experience this. I definitely wouldn't worry about it too much unless you were literally coming off the ground and ducking/covering up.

The first thing I would question is what kind of hearing protection are you using? Believe it or not, good hearing protection is often overlooked by a lot of people, especially when they don't know any better.

My Fiancee' had never been to a gun range before until she met me. She wanted to learn to shoot, but having only indoor pistol ranges near our house, it was kind of unnerving for her with ALL that action going on. I got her a pair of Howard Leight electronic earmuffs like these - to which I added a pair of soft, ear plugs that she puts underneath and that greatly helped reduce the noise factor for her.

Without a lot of range time, you aren't going to get over it easily, but slowly as you become more accustomed to the sounds going on around you it will slowly fade into the background.

Best of luck!

D

Old 04-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
It's normal for beginning shooters to experience this. I definitely wouldn't worry about it too much unless you were literally coming off the ground and ducking/covering up.

No, nothing like that, just that little jerk-of-the-shoulder, startled feeling. Not with every shot I heard, just some.

OK so no need for the meds yet

Old 04-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #7

..Would it be Shell-Shock????were you in NAM..LOL..with hearing aid
on your head,question???how does the faint noise make you jumpy???
..........BOO....

..I UPHOLD THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BARE-ARMS..

Old 04-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #8

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

"NOT A PUT DOWN",But just maybe shooting is not for you and nothing is wrong with that.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:38 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankStone View Post
"NOT A PUT DOWN",But just maybe shooting is not for you and nothing is wrong with that.
Well, I don't think I'd say that. Shooting is for everyone, criminals and congress excepted....

9x18=Makarov

Old 04-14-2008, 12:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Well, I don't think I'd say that. Shooting is for everyone, criminals and congress excepted....
shooting is some thing every one can enjoy
i mean my kids love it they have there own gunz and love to go out with dad after they go out a few times they get over there jumpiness

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain