crossbow or compound
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > crossbow or compound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Default crossbow or compound

Which is better and why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #2

Liked 2182 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

What do you want to do, and what are the regs in your state?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #3

Liked 2182 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Generally speaking, a crossbow is easier to shoot. It is slower to reload, it is usually heavier, if you are going to do long walks in the woods. If your state allows use of crossbows for hunting, it can be alreight, but not all states allow crossbows for hunting, and some allow crossbows with firearm season.

Some of the rest comes down to personal preference and reasons why you even want to use a bow. For me I like the extra challenge, and the fact that they are quiet, and I like light weight and minimal extras. I have a compound, bow but also have made my own long bows. A long bow is the hardest of the three to shoot well, but it is the lightest and simplest rig I have, and is more plesant to carry in the woods all day.

I haven't been able to bring myself to buy a crossbow, but have shot a couple of them that friends had. It felt kind of like cheating to me to have something with a rifle stock, and a scope to use during "primative" hunting season. Same reason I won't buy a modern in-line "black powder" gun that loads at the breach and a scope mounted and uses premeasured black powder substitue pellets, and modern jacketed, projectiles. It just seems to fly in the face of the spirit of "primative" firearms.

With archery it's a little different, because range is still fairly limited with compound bows and stick bows, so advanced scouting, stalking, and patience still become key. I wanted to become a better hunter, so I chose compound and stick bows.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

MS just changed the regs to allow crossbows in bow season; before you had to demonstrate a "disability" to use one. My BIL has one that is much heavier and more cumbersome than a compound bow; it is also not at all easy to load.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 955 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Generally speaking, a crossbow is easier to shoot. It is slower to reload, it is usually heavier, if you are going to do long walks in the woods. If your state allows use of crossbows for hunting, it can be alreight, but not all states allow crossbows for hunting, and some allow crossbows with firearm season. Some of the rest comes down to personal preference and reasons why you even want to use a bow. For me I like the extra challenge, and the fact that they are quiet, and I like light weight and minimal extras. I have a compound, bow but also have made my own long bows. A long bow is the hardest of the three to shoot well, but it is the lightest and simplest rig I have, and is more plesant to carry in the woods all day. I haven't been able to bring myself to buy a crossbow, but have shot a couple of them that friends had. It felt kind of like cheating to me to have something with a rifle stock, and a scope to use during "primative" hunting season. Same reason I won't buy a modern in-line "black powder" gun that loads at the breach and a scope mounted and uses premeasured black powder substitue pellets, and modern jacketed, projectiles. It just seems to fly in the face of the spirit of "primative" firearms. With archery it's a little different, because range is still fairly limited with compound bows and stick bows, so advanced scouting, stalking, and patience still become key. I wanted to become a better hunter, so I chose compound and stick bows.
+1 to above!
Saved me typing...
Can only add that you can hunt a smaller blind with a cross bow and fire through a smaller opening.

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 11-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

I was just wondering. It is legal here. I own a 150lb crossbow. I was looking into getting a compound bow. Its just kinda hard finding a left hand bow.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8260 Times on 4772 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrichthedragon View Post
I was just wondering. It is legal here. I own a 150lb crossbow. I was looking into getting a compound bow. Its just kinda hard finding a left hand bow.
Take a look at TNT Archery. They have left-handed bows now, and these are some of the most compact bows on the market without sacrificing speed or draw weight. When I first saw one I seriously thought it was a child's bow but when drawing it back there was no mistake. These bows are awesome!

http://www.tntarchery.com/index.html

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8260 Times on 4772 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Here is a magazine pic to give you an idea as to the size of this bow.

tnt.jpg  

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Here is a magazine pic to give you an idea as to the size of this bow.
Wow that is a tiny bow.
To the op, I hear ya on the left handed thing. It sucks with guns too. Its discrimination I tell ya.
I think cross bows are easier to shoot. At 15yds I can almost stack the bolts up and I know I couldnt do that with a bow.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #10

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

I have both a compound and a crossbow.

I prefer the compound bow,but a shoulder injury keeps me from drawing the compound bow anymore.
The compound bows are much more user friendly,concealable from your game you're hunting. Most crossbows need a cocking device to pull the bow back to reload your bolt,I have a 200 lb crossbow that either needs a cranking device to pull the string back or a mini block and tackle string that reduces the cocking pull by half,which is what I use.

If I had the choice I would hunt with the compound,the bow conceals in your silhouette much easier than a wide crossbow. I have a Darton Yukon compound bow that is a arrow splitter,I have 4 pins on that compound bow and it is more than lethal out past 50 yards.

Pick a compound and have fun