Credit Union sends this - Transactions Limitations Policy - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Credit Union sends this - Transactions Limitations Policy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 324 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I like the "Bank Of Mattress"....no fees, no rules.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 02-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan View Post
I like the "Bank Of Mattress"....no fees, no rules.
No interest, either. My bank pays a whopping 0.01% on both my checking and savings. See what you're missing out on? <grin>

Old 02-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

This is not uncommon- the Federal Reg D applies to all savings and money market accounts. The credit union I do business with is subject to these rules, as are all credit unions and banks. From my understanding, you are allowed unlimited in-person withdrawals at the bank, unlimited ATM withdrawals, and unlimited electronic transfers directly to a loan at the same bank. You can also do as many withdrawals by mail as you like, though I doubt anyone would do a lot of that.

Pretty much everything else is limited to the six transactions. This is only for savings and money market. The reasoning behind the law from what I understand is that banks are required to have a percentage of reserves available to cover checking accounts since funds are 'on demand' and constantly moving in and out, while they do not have this requirement for savings and money market accounts since funds are meant to stay there longer. (Funds not on reserve are loaned out and earn interest paid to either shareholders or members. Funds on reserve are with the Fed and also are not earning any interest.) If someone is constantly transferring money in and out of their savings account, they are treating it more like a checking account and the theory is that the bank should have more in reserves to cover it. I'm not saying I agree with so many regulations on our money, but that is the idea behind it. Personally, I think it saves money for everyone for more of the 'restricted' types like online transactions, etc. to be allowed. Ideally, big banks would be more responsible to begin with and the government would butt out.

I have never heard of debit card transactions from a savings account at any bank or credit union I've ever used (except for ATM withdrawals, which do not count against the six transactions; nor do ATM transfers.) I do know that if you use your debit card and don't have enough in the checking account and it results in an overdraft transfer from the savings, that IS counted toward the six since it is an electronic transfer.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #14

Liked 1127 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post

I have never heard of debit card transactions from a savings account at any bank or credit union I've ever used (except for ATM withdrawals, which do not count against the six transactions; nor do ATM transfers.) I do know that if you use your debit card and don't have enough in the checking account and it results in an overdraft transfer from the savings, that IS counted toward the six since it is an electronic transfer.
It may not be law but my credit union USAA counts debit transactions on savings accounts against the limit. They send me warnings anytime i get below 3 left for a month.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
It may not be law but my credit union USAA counts debit transactions on savings accounts against the limit. They send me warnings anytime i get below 3 left for a month.
At the ATM?

Old 02-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
At the ATM?
I've used it at the checkout counter, choosing debit and have to type in the pin. I don't know if that's considered a different type of transaction than ATM.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Oh, ok. Probably so.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5740 Times on 2999 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I've used it at the checkout counter, choosing debit and have to type in the pin. I don't know if that's considered a different type of transaction than ATM.
Its only using your savings account to do a transaction. Linking your savings to your checking/debit card is a very bad idea.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Its only using your savings account to do a transaction. Linking your savings to your checking/debit card is a very bad idea.
Jokes on the bank, my savings account has less than a dollar in it now!

I actually use a different bank for real savings. I've found that in a digital age where all my accounts are accessible in an instant I had trouble saving money. Putting the money in a different bank makes it slightly less accessible because I don't have a debit card for that bank and I tend to actually save that money.

Hunter S. Thompson