creative ways to cut back. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

creative ways to cut back.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3242 Times on 1625 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Shop purposefully: By this I mean, don't get to wandering around either the local stores or your favorite web retailers when you get bored. Impulse buys are harder to make when you stay away from the places you shop.
+1 on the "Pack your own lunch" and "Thermos 'O' coffee." Packing your own lunch is HUGE when you actually do the math. (Even cheap lunches, say an average of $8 per day x 5 days per week x 4 weeks per month...$160.)
Snacks: Buy them elsewhere and stay away from the vending machines.
Tobacco: If you haven't already, quit. It was between $5 & $6 per pack here when I quit last march. Some of you in the dark blue states are paying as much as $9 to $10 per pack. A pack every other day or so, call it 14 packs per month...say $5.50 ea ...$77 +/- per month. Added Bonus, you'll feel better. Chantix worked well for me. It's not for everyone, talk to your doctor.
It sounds simplistic, but I carry very little cash ($5-$10 is about it most of the time.) When I have to break out the debit card, it makes me consider whether the purchase is really necessary.
Get your debt under control. The fewer hands you have out on payday, the better. Being debt free is like having an extra paycheck each month. Also, being debt free makes you treat the prospect of creating new debt with a great deal of skepticism.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand
CA357 Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #12

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

We have cut back on everything. One thing we haven't cut back on is eating out. Instead of eating in we order take out. We eat a nice sit down meal for the price of a big mac. The drinks and desert we always order at the last minute are what runs up the bill.

We both are losing weight since hard times have hit. We don't have a bag of chips or a box of sweet snacks in the house all the time. We both have cut back on the amount of soft drinks we buy. We make tea with just enough sugar to make it palatable.

Prepping is not even a thought in our house. We have always bought stuff on sale like we are prepping. 3 for $1 canned goods? We buy them by the case. Anything we see on sale we buy a bunch of it. We have never went shopping with a menu for the week on our mind. We go out looking for sales and that is the menu.
CA357 Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8799 Times on 5254 Posts
Likes Given: 11672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
It sounds simplistic, but I carry very little cash ($5-$10 is about it most of the time.) When I have to break out the debit card, it makes me consider whether the purchase is really necessary.
I do that, too. I rarely have cash on me. Or maybe $5 if any. I don't have a credit card. I only have a debit card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
We have never went shopping with a menu for the week on our mind. We go out looking for sales and that is the menu.
I also do that. I think up a meal with whatever I have in the house. I always have rice, dried beans and some kind of meat. Canned and frozen veggies. Lots of soups. I can always whip up something palatable.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

How much do you really need toilet paper?

http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Held-Bidet-Spray/dp/B002IWODHE/ref=sr_1_23?s=kitchen-bath&ie=UTF8&qid=1354572365&sr=1-23

http://www.amazon.com/Luxe-MB210-Non-Electric-Toilet-Attachment/dp/B001KKRCFU/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1354572468&sr=1-1&keywords=heated+bidet
heated for the northerners.

Think of the trees you will save (or corncobs).

Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #15

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2042 Times on 1131 Posts
Likes Given: 6119

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
..Or you can run an extension from the neighbor's outside box and plug everything into there....
Too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
How much do you really need toilet paper?.
Too .. just too.... you know

Old 12-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #16

Liked 841 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 256

Shop rates on your house and car insurances. We kept our Dish TV but dropped to the $15/month plan. Switched to Consumer Cellular phones(or pick another cheap one). Throw those smart phones out. Shop only once every two weeks, it will cut down on your impulse buys. If one of you buys extra stuff when they shop then that person stays home. Think ahead, plan ahead. Get a credit card that pays cash back and use that card to pay everything(and I mean everything), it saves you at least 1%. Always, always, always pay your credit card off each month. Cut down on your driving.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8224 Times on 4236 Posts
Likes Given: 9466

I started out as a cheepo so were having tougher times than Im used to! No Premium anything (cept I do still get my 8 oclock coffee!). No Car payments, no nights out, no unnecessary building projects that I dont already have the materials for and few gifts for anyone this Christmas except a couple for the Grandkids!

My Mantra this year is, "Times are Tough, Moneys hard, Heres your F'n Christmas card, Amen..."

Old 12-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2914 Times on 1897 Posts

Cut your own hair. I bought a waller clipper set about 17 years ago, and have been doing my own hair since then. It cost $30 then, and was USA made.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #19

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2042 Times on 1131 Posts
Likes Given: 6119

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Cut your own hair. I bought a waller clipper set about 17 years ago, and have been doing my own hair since then. It cost $30 then, and was USA made.
Whoa! This will make me admit that I use a FlowBee

Old 12-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #20

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

My wife cuts my hair too (zero on the clippers). We are considering getting rid of the smart phones but shes not thrilled about that. Also cutting back cable and food and anything else we can