Crapskis, I suck.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Crapskis, I suck.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2029 Times on 1295 Posts
Likes Given: 1113

Default Crapskis, I suck.

I finally got to a range yesterday. I havnt fired a handgun for about 20 months due to health and a fourple bypass.
Now I probably over did it. I took a Sig P239, ruger sr9c, Cz 52, colt 380 gov't, ruger std. 22, s&w highway patrolman, ruger security_six, and a friend's Rossi 38 , and new ruger lrc 22.
I fired all of them. All at 25 ft.
It was great to shoot again, but right from the start I knew it would be bad.
My hands shook and I had to use a mag loader to load more than a few rounds.
With all pistols without a colored front sight, I was all over the target, although maintaining decent com.
M y best groups were with the Sig (my edc), the s&w highway patrolman (first time I've ever fired it), and surprisingly, the cz 52.
By best, I mean about 4". With concentration.
I clearly need more range time.
Well, I have plenty of ammo and the range fee is only $5 for the day. If I can overcome the handshakes and get new glasses, I should get those groups down to 2".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1540

Give it time Boat, 20 months is a long time not shooting, things will improve as you get in more range time.

I fear what I am going to be like after not shooting for 7 years.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Boat, new glasses will help, but also consider XS sights. Their Big Dot, 24/7 Express sights are MUCH easier to see and use, especially by those of us getting older! Take a look at the link below - they are worth it.

http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=han dgun

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 AM   #4

Liked 2029 Times on 1295 Posts
Likes Given: 1113

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Boat, new glasses will help, but also consider XS sights. Their Big Dot, 24/7 Express sights are MUCH easier to see and use, especially by those of us getting older! Take a look at the link below - they are worth it.

http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=han dgun
Tek, the Sig has tritium, the highway patrolman just has a bigass front sight , and the cz is a long slide. I should do a lot better with practice and some new specs.
I used to be pretty darned good with all of own pistols, but then I got in a lot of trigger time off my front porch.
Moving to town has its disadvantages.
Can't wait to see how badly I do with the rifles.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Dry fire time.

Concentrate of the basics of shooting.

Avoid stimulants next time you go. (And avoid the blue pill the night before)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 143 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 139

........and find a Ruger Old Model Blackhawk.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #7

Liked 772 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 1594

Default Geez Boat...

20 months away..?? Fourple bypass ??... 4" groupings at 25 ft sounds GREAT to me considering the circumstances. You just need to get your gloove back that's all... and that comes with time and getting physically back to square one (or as close to sq 1 as age will let you)

10 years ago... One week after my last chemo round... I got this notion in my head to go to the ice rink for a stick & puck pick up game. As I was heading out the door with my bag of gear my wife said "You think this is a good idea??" ...I answered back "No... but I feel the desire.. and want to do so."
I took my time... The others took it easy on me (was wearing the blue "no contact" jersey)... spent a lot of time short shifting and hydrating... but I played through 3 full periods. I had sooooo missed it. Can't even remember the final score... just remember having fun again!!

Now I wake up every morning... and as long as I don't have dirt on top of me I say "Gonna be a good day today!!"... I get the impression you feel like that now also. As Teddy would say "BULLY for you my good fellow!!"
P.S. I don't think any threat you have to pull your piece and fire on is gonna look down at the center mass and then say "Four inches apart ?!?! Really... what the hell man ?!?!?"

Old 06-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #8

Liked 1907 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 1261

Some of my S&W revolvers came with a white rear sight and orange front sight. I like it enough that I used the wife's fingernail polish to duplicate it on some of my other guns. It works great. And nail polish is a lot cheaper than sights. You can also experiment with different colors to see which works best for you.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

NC1760 Likes This