Craigs list - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Craigs list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
I pulled my adds on CL. I have had enough. I don't even understand what these people want and why they would bother to reply with the stuff they send me ???????????

It's that 1% strategy. Selling door to door, hitting on women at bars, etc...

If you present to 100 people, chances are 1 of them will respond.

I agree with you, it's very annoying. But if you MUST sell something... at least on CL you don't have to pay for an ad that no one reads anymore.

Your cost is putting up with nimrods with nothing better to do.

PatMan

"You'll put your eye out, kid"

”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
~Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my future bumper sticker.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #32
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
I pulled my adds on CL. I have had enough. I don't even understand what these people want and why they would bother to reply with the stuff they send me ???????????
There is a learning curve for sure, I wouldn't give up right away, consider it part of the cost to do business there. I would post a new ad that clears up some of the BS that you had with the first one. Part of the curve.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #33
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7315 Times on 4399 Posts
Likes Given: 8970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillersfan View Post
And she probably looked like the bad end of a dog after it ate a bar of soap..
Actually, they don't look to bad. I have yet to have a shirtless man come on to me from my Craigslist ad. Why is that? I think there's a whole new window of opportunity there for some of you guys.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Actually, they don't look to bad. I have yet to have a shirtless man come on to me from my Craigslist ad. Why is that? I think there's a whole new window of opportunity there for some of you guys.
You think that the chick in the pic is actually the one trolling on Craigslist?

Years ago I worked at a shop and there was a really homely looking fat gal that worked there in the office, she was really nice and all, great personality, but if she stood in the tracks a train would take the dirt road to avoid her her looks. She actually worked nights and weekends as a phone sex operator- or whatever you call the gal that gets guys all worked up on the phone. She made great money at it too. Once in awhile when we were all out at the break truck she would give us some action. . I mean, I am no prude by any means but holy cow! I know a lot of words but this gal could put them together in ways that I couldn't imagine until I heard it for myself.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
You think that the chick in the pic is actually the one trolling on Craigslist?

Years ago I worked at a shop and there was a really homely looking fat gal that worked there in the office, she was really nice and all, great personality, but if she stood in the tracks a train would take the dirt road to avoid her her looks. She actually worked nights and weekends as a phone sex operator- or whatever you call the gal that gets guys all worked up on the phone. She made great money at it too. Once in awhile when we were all out at the break truck she would give us some action. . I mean, I am no prude by any means but holy cow! I know a lot of words but this gal could put them together in ways that I couldn't imagine until I heard it for myself.
Hopefully she is out there making some blind guy VERY happy!

Never understood the phone sex thing; strippers, sure it's like naughty halloween especially if you know some of them.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I think it was dateline who did a special investigating on line scams. A very common one was sending pictures of a beautiful woman who is looking for love/relationship. They develope an on line relationship, then they start asking for gifts, not money at first but easily sold electronic gear, I-Pad, smart phones etc. They tracked down the Real person in the photo (often an oriental model) & their picture is simply copied from web site.

The second category is even stranger -middle aged men who pretend to be teenage women on-line.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #37

Liked 1028 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
There is a learning curve for sure, I wouldn't give up right away, consider it part of the cost to do business there. I would post a new ad that clears up some of the BS that you had with the first one. Part of the curve.
+1 You sound like a Craigslist Vet who knows what he's doing. It's all about how to play the game. you have to accept it for the way it is, and really, it's nothing to be afraid of, just to be aware of. I know people who are terrified of it because "they'll get screwed." ONe of them is the guy that owns the company I work for. I personally have never had a problem buying. The wife & I have bought tons of stuff, some of it over a thousand bucks. Selling is a little harder, but can be done.

1. Don't ask to much for your stuff. Be reasonable, people are looking for a deal. KNOW what it's worth, and mark it DOWN from there. Unless it's a wicked hot item.

2. Photos. There is NO reason whatsoever not to include at a minimum one photo.

3. Sound intelligent. You have spell check, use it. Also read the ad to make sure it makes sense.

4. Include ALLLLLLLLLL of the pertinent info. Again, NO excuse not to. This includes Make & Model #.

5. Make sure to leave a way to be contacted. Some people don't. Really???? And, be available when they do. Don't post an ad, then go on a month long VACA.

6. Come on, man! You sold your crap, would it be so hard to remove your ad? (It's very easy) So I don't call you asking about it when you've already sold it? And, this is the reason I ask if you've sold it, don't get all offended when I do.

Last edited by clr8ter; 01-11-2013 at 12:18 AM.
People Like This 
Old 01-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
+1 You sound like a Craigslist Vet who knows what he's doing. It's all about how to play the game. you have to accept it for the way it is, and really, it's nothing to be afraid of, just to be aware of. I know people who are terrified of it because "they'll get screwed." ONe of them is the guy that owns the company I work for. I personally have never had a problem buying. The wife & I have bought tons of stuff, some of it over a thousand bucks. Selling is a little harder, but can be done.

1. Don't ask to much for your stuff. Be reasonable, people are looking for a deal. KNOW what it's worth, and mark it DOWN from there. Unless it's a wicked hot item.

2. Photos. There is NO reason whatsoever not to include at a minimum one photo.

3. Sound intelligent. You have spell check, use it. Also read the ad to make sure it makes sense.

4. Include ALLLLLLLLLL of the pertinent info. Again, NO excuse not to. This includes Make & Model #.

5. Make sure to leave a way to be contacted. Some people don't. Really???? And, be available when they do. Don't post an ad, then go on a month long VACA.

6. Come on, man! You sold your crap, would it be so hard to remove your ad? (It's very easy) So I don't call you asking about it when you've already sold it? And, this is the reason I ask if you've sold it, don't get all offended when I do.
I think I would add this one:

1) BE AVAILABLE!!!! If the people wanting to buy your stuff want to see it, then you need to be available to show it to them!

And if you are a buyer:

1) Have the freaking money available!!! Don't go wasting a seller's time if you don't have the money. This includes time on the phone and/or email. Don't go offering stupid stuff to trade, or a check if you aren't going to go to the bank to cash it right then and there. From your freaking account, not the seller's. I have taken a total of 2 checks for stuff I have sold on CL, in one case it was a guy on Calguns who lives near me and I went to his house to sell ammo to him. I know where he lives. And in another case it was at a weekend long show and the other guy was selling stuff too. I was able to determine he was no flake and I also went into town to cash the check before I delivered the goods.

Quote:
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #39

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

What does that mean?

Anyway, I am trying to sell some items on Criagslist, too. I keep getting woman sending me sexy pictures of themselves asking if we can meet for drinks.
To Craigslist I go!!

-Matt

Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #40

Liked 1028 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 677

I personally have never really had a money issue with a buyer, once I found an actual buyer. Lots of people will say they are a buyer, but are not. You can tell when someone is serious. Last August, I put my truck on Craigslist. A total of 9 minutes went by before a guy called. I talked to him for 20 min, and it was obvious he wanted it. He told me up front it would be a few days before hen could come out, but he did everything he said he was going to, and on time. (I had removed the ad immediately after his first phone call.) So it took a week to complete the sale, but everybody was happy. Communication is also key.