Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Craigs list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ive not once had an issue with anyone ive ever dealt with on craigslist. I think its fantastic. I dont live in a larger city though like others. I am always carrying anyways.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #12

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Craigslist can be a good resource, unfortunately it is rampant with scammers, beware any callers trying to make oddball payment arrangements also if you are looking to buy be weary of any deals to good to be true, one common one is newer model 4x4 tractor with loader and attachments for 4200 dollars, I have seen this ad in many cities and states on craigslist usually with different pics and dumb excuses as to why you cannot see the machine before you buy, like it is currently out on the brother in law's ranch in Montana.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6636 Times on 4015 Posts
Likes Given: 7884

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
We're not a church giving handouts
Oh. Hahahaha........thanks.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7655 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9867

I have had good experiences on CL, but there have been some strange ones. Look out for the scammers for sure. If it seems strange just don't bother responding. I also have no problem backing out if I get a bad feeling. I had a guy respond to an ad I placed for some night vision gear and he wanted to meet at 10:00 at night "so he could try it out for real" even though I assured him he could do so inside a shipping container or whatever. He was going to drive 5 hours just to look at it. Ummmm. Never mind dude, I just sold it.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5480 Times on 2707 Posts
Likes Given: 5813

I love Craigs List but Im a buyer not a seller! Never tried to sell anything on it but Ive bought lots of things from it. I do think as long as everyone is aware the deal is "Cash in hand, trust no Man and down the road you go", its all good! You do have to be more careful when your selling or buying expensive jewelry or other precious items, best to do so away from home in a public place.

A few years ago, I was looking for a large ornate cast iron gravity heat floor grate for one of my "This old House Projects", they were selling for $500 plus shipping on Ebay, I couldnt and wouldnt pay that much! After months of looking, I found one for $100 on Craigs about 80 miles away but driving to pick it up would have been expensive and time consuming so I asked her if she would ship it slow boat. She understood and was agreeable but because of all the scams, wouldnt accept checks or money orders so I took a chance and sent her cash for the item and shipping. I talked with her on the phone a couple times and she sounded nice. It was worth the gamble, (saving 500 buck's) so I sent her cash in the mail, registered and signed for. 6 days later, the 60 lb grate arrived in perfect condition, its beautiful, circa 1910 ish.

I probably wouldnt do that regularly or with much more at risk but it worked well for me.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #16

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I have had good experiences on CL, but there have been some strange ones. Look out for the scammers for sure. If it seems strange just don't bother responding. I also have no problem backing out if I get a bad feeling. I had a guy respond to an ad I placed for some night vision gear and he wanted to meet at 10:00 at night "so he could try it out for real" even though I assured him he could do so inside a shipping container or whatever. He was going to drive 5 hours just to look at it. Ummmm. Never mind dude, I just sold it.
He could check it out in a shipping container??? Hahahaha

Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #17

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
because of all the scams, wouldnt accept checks or money orders so I took a chance and sent her cash for the item
This is the problem I have had with the few things I have tried to sell, if I do get someone interested in buying they don't "trust" me to mail me a check or money order if I were to accept it, and I don't "trust" them to ship them my goods without first receiving payment in full. I understand being leary of scams but if you want to buy something you will have to pay for it somehow, it's too bad craigslist isn't more like ebay where the sellers are registered and have feedback and ways can be set up for buyers and sellers to use creditcards for secure payment.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Last edited by winds-of-change; 01-09-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 993 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 311

I use CL to both buy and sell things. As a buyer, I won't respond to people who don't post their ads using complete sentences and post a picture of the item and sound legit in the back and forth email traffic. I pretty much apply those same rules as a seller.

If I am buying something over $100 I usually say something like " I will be paying in cash but I will not get the money out of the ATM until we meet". Nothing is perfect but I think a small amount of skepticism is healthy and will reduce your chances of getting scammed or worse.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 01-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #19

Liked 695 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I do buy and sell occasionally on CL. When selling I never use the E-mail option only a phone number. That stops 95% or more of the scammers. Use a cell phone# as then they do not have your address and your phone records their phone#. I do not allow texts either. Voice only. I always carry anyway.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7655 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9867

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon15man View Post
He could check it out in a shipping container??? Hahahaha
Yup. Thing is I didn't want anybody like him looking around inside my shipping container!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.