Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Craigs list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Craigs list

So I am new to this Craigslist and I listed some auto parts for sale and I have been getting the craziest emails from people that don't make any sense, or emails that are blank. Is this common from this site ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #2

Liked 4450 Times on 2348 Posts
Likes Given: 254

yes its common.

its also common that muggers rapists and serial killers use tht site to lure people to bad ends...

my recomendation is dont do it. here in se wisconsin your more likely to be robbed doing a face to face craigs list sale than completing the transaction safely. here recently there was an incident where the seller arranged the meet right in front of the racine county sherriff office and jail complex. he was robbed then shot and left on the sidewalk.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-09-2013, 01:52 AM   #3

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

I use it to sell pretty much everything other than guns and never had any bad luck, but read some horror stories like most. I use it quite often and is actually one of the main reasons I started carrying.

To answer your question, no, I've never gotten blank emails. I have gotten plenty from scammers.

I have a couple simple rules I follow and post them at the end of each listing. Cash only & face2face only transactions. Only meet in high traffic areas & times. I get a price established before I exchange any phone numbers also.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:56 AM   #4

Liked 595 Times on 301 Posts

I just sold a car on Craigslist, yea, 90% replies were scams. The scammers who wanted to send money orders or PayPal I had them call me wife to setup the transaction, of course her phone number was the local FBI field office, they didn't bother to call me back?

Old 01-09-2013, 02:08 AM   #5

Liked 994 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 345

I have had good results with craigs list. Yes, I have got some nutty replies. People that want a zillion pictures of the item. I don't reply to those email messages. You can tell when someone is serious and ready to buy.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 AM   #6

Liked 16792 Times on 9734 Posts
Likes Given: 43819

as with selling anything, they ain't serious unless they show up with cash!

several times, i have had people haggle over the price and we agree on it, then they need a few days or weeks to come up with the money?

the one that really gets me laughing, is they want to lowball your price and throw out that someone else has the same thing for much lower! my response, then why are you here wasting your time and mine?

Old 01-09-2013, 02:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
as with selling anything, they ain't serious unless they show up with cash!

several times, i have had people haggle over the price and we agree on it, then they need a few days or weeks to come up with the money?

the one that really gets me laughing, is they want to lowball your price and throw out that someone else has the same thing for much lower! my response, then why are you here wasting your time and mine?
I'm a car salesman by profession, I love it when someone tells me they can buy a brand new one for x thousand less, I just look at them and ask why they didn't buy it already if it's such a great deal. My dealership had the steeple removed a couple months ago, the owner decided he was interested in a profit!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:45 AM   #8

Liked 6103 Times on 3695 Posts
Likes Given: 6908

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
My dealership had the steeple removed a couple months ago, the owner decided he was interested in a profit!
What does that mean?

Anyway, I am trying to sell some items on Criagslist, too. I keep getting woman sending me sexy pictures of themselves asking if we can meet for drinks.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 03:47 AM   #9

Liked 16792 Times on 9734 Posts
Likes Given: 43819

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
What does that mean?

Anyway, I am trying to sell some items on Criagslist, too. I keep getting woman sending me sexy pictures of themselves asking if we can meet for drinks.
just forward them to some of the single male members here on the forum!
People Like This 
Old 01-09-2013, 04:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

What does that mean?

We're not a church giving handouts