Coyotes killin my cats im fed up - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Coyotes killin my cats im fed up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Was over my friends house about 8months ago, getting ready to head to the range,when he went to go let his yellow lab in (in a fenced in yard) saw 2 yotas chacing the lab. He tryed to grab his dog and the yotas bit him a couple of times on the left hand and legs. Once i heard the yelling for help i grabed my ar and ran. Not a good thing when you hear your friend screaming for help. Needless to say 2 dead yotas and an hour of explaing my actions to the cops. No charged were filed just a warning not to do that again. Thanks officer ill just let my friend get eatin alive next time.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

dango Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #32

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
Free running "Pit Bulls"? There has never been as many people killed by coyotes as those Damn drug dogs.
I hate that pits git such a bad rep from bad owners. I grew up with pits running the streets ware I live. Nobody ever got attacked. Pit bulls were originally bread to work on farms for this exact reason. Protecting the farm animals, help heard cattle and be loyal to there owner. These dogs do this extremely well.

If a pit is abused by a human they become afraid of humans. They will then see a human as a threat. And they deal with threats the same way you and I do.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Your cats won't want to be outside so bad if they have never been outside. I have two cats right now. One comes and goes from the house. My kitten has never been outside and doesn't seem to know what he's missing. The only way to keep them safe is to keep them inside. I've had many cats that come and go from the house over the years. Most left and never came back. Two got hit in the road and the others I assume got eaten by coyotes or something. My newest kitten will not be going outside.

Also, in a neighborhood with 1 acre tracts of land, I don't think you can be shooting at coyotes in that setting. The houses are too close to make shooting safe, in my opinion.

Exactly this. Check before you do any shooting.

Years ago I had a friend that had a Great Pyrenees. You are not kidding they get huge. And they are very friendly dogs to humans. That might be a good idea............if you want a HUGE dog.
My wife's cat has never been outside. But it tries. Cats are naturally curious.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #34

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Methinks a 22 RF and your cat caged up by your property line would make a great opportunity. 'Yotes are smart and after losing a few(let them lie) your area would be safe for a long time.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #35
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

part of this problem with coyotes is that civilization is encroaching on their natural habitat. many times they have no where to go, so these incidents are going to become more occuring. best suggestion is to keep your domestic animals penned up or inside. might talk to the game wardens and explain the problem and see if they have any solutions.

but being that close with that many houses, shooting them is not the solution and there may even be an ordinance against it. trapping is maybe an alternative. check with the game warden in your areas.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by -06 View Post
Methinks a 22 RF and your cat caged up by your property line would make a great opportunity. 'Yotes are smart and after losing a few(let them lie) your area would be safe for a long time.
you do realize that there are many other houses very close and i could also be illegal to be firing off a gun that close?

might want to rethink your next reply.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

you do realize that there are many other houses very close and i could also be illegal to be firing off a gun that close?

might want to rethink your next reply.
Talk to your near by home owners and see if they will be ok with it. Idk about ware you are from but ware I'm from as long as you are not within 50' of an inhabited building you can shoot.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Talk to your near by home owners and see if they will be ok with it. Idk about ware you are from but ware I'm from as long as you are not within 50' of an inhabited building you can shoot.
what if there is an ordinance against doing so? that trumps the 50' rule. then there is always th possibilty of a stray or ricochet that might end up getting someone hurt. always best to stay legal and to err on the side of caution.

from what i gather from the OP, it's a pretty densely populated area. one acre tracts with houses. that's not a lot of room between them for shooting safely IMO. where does a bullet end up if he misses the shot?

Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #39

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If its how I think he explained it and the 500 acres of land are begin his house or positioned in a way that he'd be shooting away from any buildings into the thick brush, he would most likely have the bullet impact a tree before anything else. He could also elevate himself slightly so any missed shots would go into the softer ground.

But like other have said, it depends on wether or not he can legally shoot on his land.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #40

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

So I looked in to it can't shoot here to residential I can walk 50 yards to the 500 acre line and shoot there with permission from the land owner which he will not give me. I walked to the gate line and there's tons of holes from them damn things seems almost hopeless with out being able to actually hunt the land.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"