Coyotes killin my cats im fed up - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Coyotes killin my cats im fed up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

If your a dog person,consider getting a pair of Great Pyrenees dogs. They get real big,like 150 pounds,and were bred to protect livestock. We knew a guy out in the country who was a deer processor when I was younger and his neighbors bred champion show goats. They also bred Great Pyrenees dogs when and kept about 4 or 5 adults around to protect the goats.

One time we went out there and they were burying a couple coyotes that had the misfortune to get caught by ONE of the dogs. From the looks of it they didnt stand a snowballs chance in hell.... The dogs were seemingly very good with children as well and tolerated rides from the couples young child.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #22
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7151 Times on 4304 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post
Thanks for all the info everyone. I do try and keep them inside but they want to be outside so bad. I am considering screening in my back porch. And yes I do see them and it seems they are getting more and more fearless. I didn't relize that wild cats were such a problem for some folks. Also I will try and put out a call try and get the more aggressive ones on to my land and take them out. Some nights when I can't sleep and I'm smokin a cig I will see them walking on the road together 100 feet from me with no fear maybe if some finally starts firing some shots at them things will change. Once again thanks for the info everyone.
Your cats won't want to be outside so bad if they have never been outside. I have two cats right now. One comes and goes from the house. My kitten has never been outside and doesn't seem to know what he's missing. The only way to keep them safe is to keep them inside. I've had many cats that come and go from the house over the years. Most left and never came back. Two got hit in the road and the others I assume got eaten by coyotes or something. My newest kitten will not be going outside.

Also, in a neighborhood with 1 acre tracts of land, I don't think you can be shooting at coyotes in that setting. The houses are too close to make shooting safe, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
If your calling them, your hunting them. Some states have a minimum size plot of land to hunt on. Make sure your legal, you dont wanna lose a gun or any rights.
Exactly this. Check before you do any shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
If your a dog person,consider getting a pair of Great Pyrenees dogs. They get real big,like 150 pounds,and were bred to protect livestock. We knew a guy out in the country who was a deer processor when I was younger and his neighbors bred champion show goats. They also bred Great Pyrenees dogs when and kept about 4 or 5 adults around to protect the goats.

One time we went out there and they were burying a couple coyotes that had the misfortune to get caught by ONE of the dogs. From the looks of it they didnt stand a snowballs chance in hell.... The dogs were seemingly very good with children as well and tolerated rides from the couples young child.
Years ago I had a friend that had a Great Pyrenees. You are not kidding they get huge. And they are very friendly dogs to humans. That might be a good idea............if you want a HUGE dog.
People Like This 
Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Very impressive pits ! Coyotes kill for a living & they are good at it.

The Eastern Coyote is bigger n meaner than its Western cousin. (from mating w wolves) coyotes have attacked humans in every state. AZ - they have adapted too well.

Example - in AZ - kindergarten children are trained to yell Coyote - bunch together and then come inside in an orderly manner. Well a coyotes w come at lunch time - kids w go inside - coyote w jump fence, eat their lunches and then leave only to repeat the process the next day - always at lunch. This went on until a fat kid wouldn't part w his sandwhich and the coyote bit him in the ass.

Coyotes have scaled 6 foot fences w small dogs in their mouths in residential areas. They don't eat the animals, they just kill them - instinct - eliminate competition. (Wolves do the same to coyotes.)

If a coyote got my dog, I w get payback. A 22 short through a rifle barrel makes no noise and is very effective.( w headshots.) I've dispatched several raccoons this way. Coyotes are too smart in my area - they stay out of range and stray cats can be a problem as well.

I'm not saying its the right thing to do, I tell people to be patient, the Good Lord isn't finished w me yet...

I w site my gun in (shorts have a different POI than LR) drop a 1/4 pounder at a specified range and light a cigar. ( Make sure you are shooting in a safe direction) No court is gonna convict a man for defending his cheeseburger - if they get testy, just tell them there was Bacon on it.

Check local regs - you might even get a reward $$$

Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #24

Liked 136 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Where I live here in Louisiana Coyotes are in the cross hairs year round! They are considered a nuisance to the farmers and ranchers. Some put donkey's on their land to scare them off. Don't laugh, it works!

Old 02-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #25

Liked 2469 Times on 1603 Posts

Gonzo:
Coyotes coming around kids repeatedly? B.S.! (I believe you, just the idea of it happening). They need to be trapped, hunted, tazered, gassed, napalmed, etc. There is no excuse to let that go on! If animal right activists have a problem with it make them eat their lunch there.

Feral cat waterboarder

dango Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #26

Liked 136 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post

My cousin owns over 350 acres of farm land and is building a house on about 6 acres of it. The neighbor that lives across the road has one of these dogs. OMG, that thing is HUGE!
He is one of the friendliest dogs I have ever seen.
One day we were trying to see how he would react to certain animal calls. We did every call we could think of, then I started howling. That dog went nuts, looking and barking for what was howling.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #27
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7151 Times on 4304 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Gonzo:
Coyotes coming around kids repeatedly? B.S.! (I believe you, just the idea of it happening). They need to be trapped, hunted, tazered, gassed, napalmed, etc. There is no excuse to let that go on! If animal right activists have a problem with it make them eat their lunch there.
Why are the kids eating lunch outside? Isn't that a little unusual in a school setting? ESPECIALLY with coyotes around?
dango Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #28

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Save the KIDS!!! BAN THE COYOTES!!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

People Like This 
Old 02-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #29

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've had more trouble with my neighbors dogs, stray dogs, and raccoon killing my chickens and pets than coyotes. I find my Ruger 10-22 does an excellent job when dealing with such pests.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #30

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92
I have the opposite issue. Mine is with over populated cats.... I CANNOT STAND seeing paw prints on my camaro. Already got 2 this year and still fresh paw prints weekly. I swear they know it pisses me off cause my camaro is the only vehicle they climb on. I think we need to make a trade lol. Send me some coyotes and you can have these dam wild cats runnin around here!
I got the same problem, stray cats getting in my barn and pissing and sh**ing everywhere. They even crap on the deck and on the concrete steps going into the house under the carport. I shot one 3 days ago and got 2 more last night with my 870. I think I still got a couple but Im finally thining the herd.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

dango Likes This