Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Coyotes killin my cats im fed up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Default Coyotes killin my cats im fed up

Ok everyone I live in a Rural area with one acre houses evenly spaced there are about 40 houses in this neighborhood along these house is a major highway with more house on one side. On the other side is about 500 acres of brush land and a ranch house then another major highway. On this 500 acres are a teaming population of coyotes. The land owner is a non gun owning non animal killer and will not kill them off. There is only one area of land they are getting through a snare or a trap i think would help but this guy wont have it.Tonight they got my favorite cat I'm so pissed I just wanna go over there with my 270 my 12g and my handgun and kill every single one I see. Though I know I can't I'm not gonna brake the law but what can I do! If it was my land I'd be up 24/7 hunting those damn sorry excuse for a animal at all times.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19988 Times on 11362 Posts
Likes Given: 50414

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post
Ok everyone I live in a Rural area with one acre houses evenly spaced there are about 40 houses in this neighborhood along these house is a major highway with more house on one side. On the other side is about 500 acres of brush land and a ranch house then another major highway. On this 500 acres are a teaming population of coyotes. The land owner is a non gun owning non animal killer and will not kill them off. There is only one area of land they are getting through a snare or a trap i think would help but this guy wont have it.Tonight they got my favorite cat I'm so pissed I just wanna go over there with my 270 my 12g and my handgun and kill every single one I see. Though I know I can't I'm not gonna brake the law but what can I do! If it was my land I'd be up 24/7 hunting those damn sorry excuse for a animal at all times.
sounds like you need to keep your animals penned up or in the house. doesn't seem like there is much you can do.
People Like This 
Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #3

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you own any amount of land, why not make sure your animals are all in the house or barn for a day and then put a call out. You might be able to call a few off of his land onto your land giving you the opportunity to do as you please.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #4

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I have the opposite issue. Mine is with over populated cats.... I CANNOT STAND seeing paw prints on my camaro. Already got 2 this year and still fresh paw prints weekly. I swear they know it pisses me off cause my camaro is the only vehicle they climb on. I think we need to make a trade lol. Send me some coyotes and you can have these dam wild cats runnin around here!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Check with the game warden about nuisance wild life on your property.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 02-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #6

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

The coyotes are natural and your cats are an exotic species. If you want pets it is your responsibility to keep them contained. I place a lot of value on coyotes as without them cats would totally over run Arizona.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

People Like This 
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #7

Liked 2351 Times on 1529 Posts

There was an article a while back in American rifleman about coyotes becoming braver. If they are killing cats in populated residential areas such as yours, the next step could be attacking pets or even kids in front of people, showing no fear of humans at all. Try to find this article or a similar one to plead your case to the landowner.

Are you seeing them? If so, on your property, shooting one in self defense would have to help.

Feral cat waterboarder

dango Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #8

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Free ranging cats in this state like coyotes and wolves are shot on sight. Cats wipe out more Prairie chicken nest in the spring then the coyotes. Cats kill young cotton tail rabbits as well.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #9

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Thanks for all the info everyone. I do try and keep them inside but they want to be outside so bad. I am considering screening in my back porch. And yes I do see them and it seems they are getting more and more fearless. I didn't relize that wild cats were such a problem for some folks. Also I will try and put out a call try and get the more aggressive ones on to my land and take them out. Some nights when I can't sleep and I'm smokin a cig I will see them walking on the road together 100 feet from me with no fear maybe if some finally starts firing some shots at them things will change. Once again thanks for the info everyone.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

dango Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2845 Times on 1646 Posts
Likes Given: 16967

First , we had many cats just diapering around the area and thought "Coyotes"!
About 12 people I'd talked to had small missing critters and not just cats!

Odd at first this is a very large area and this was happen really fast !

Coyote we all thought at first! Wrong ! My neighbor and I were walking and talking about shooting on the up-coming week-end and that's when we saw it!

A humungous Great horn owl! a four and a half foot wing span at least , maybe a little bigger! It had a small animal in it's talons , looked like a cat.

Birds of prey and coyotes,we got both and witch one got my cat , just ain't sure? It's open season for coyotes , were zoned farming so it's legal! Can't shoot owls but coyotes don't cotton to my .45-70 much !