Could you actually do it? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Could you actually do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
I got a question from a friend a while back. He asked if I could actually take a life in pure home defense. At first it made me think and then I realized, better his than mine (please note I am not pre meditating anything). Could you guys do it? Why? I am simply curious to see what your thoughts on a bad guy in the house and how you guys mentally handle this sort of thing
Owning a firearm makes you own the responsibility that comes with it. The political climate today produces great threats to home, family, and self. There should be no pause in reaching a life-saving decision. No one wants to take a human life. But then no one wants to lose theirs either. I hope no one is ever force to face such a decision. To me the decision has already been made. That's why shooting ranges do good business today.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #52
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21202 Times on 12040 Posts
Likes Given: 52916

an intruder breaking into my home and putting my loved ones and myself in danger, and the possiblity of death. yes i would without a doubt shoot to eliminate that threat. i believe in instincts and will have to rely on them as to the way i will perform. this decision was one i made many years ago and lots of thought and reflection and was not made quickly or rashly. i even had some long convesations with my own father about this several times.

so if a BG breaks into my home with intentions of harm, then IMO he will then get to play by the house rules. my house my rules. whatever it takes to make sure my loved ones and myself stay verticle and the BG leaves horizontally is what i will do. i will seek counseling after the fact. i figure counseling is much better for me than a funeral.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2723 Times on 1354 Posts
Likes Given: 267

I look at the world rather simplistically at times.
I don't believe the stopping the threat part to be a terribly hard decision. It's really simple math when you boil it down to the basics. Me & mine vs. someone with bad intent toward me & mine. Simple.
Dealing with the aftermath is another issue entirely. I believe that ending another human's existence is likely to be a traumatic experience, however much it's deserved or justified.
I hope to never have to deal with it.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
People Like This 
Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #54
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidyhowareya View Post
My wife does not think that a person who breaks into a house should be killed. I think that the person deserves a whole lot of lead heading their way. She asked me one time, "How would you feel if you shot and killed an intruder?" I replied, "Alive and satisfied and will be glad that you and the kids are safe."
Let her read about those thugs that broke into the home in CT a couple years ago, raped the daughters and Mom, beat the husband with a bat, and left him for dead, then poured gas on the girls tied to their beds and set them afire. The father lived, and has to re-live it everyday!!

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

dango Likes This 
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
Let her read about those thugs that broke into the home in CT a couple years ago, raped the daughters and Mom, beat the husband with a bat, and left him for dead, then poured gas on the girls tied to their beds and set them afire. The father lived, and has to re-live it everyday!!
another point for some to consider is this. a robbery or break-in during the day when no one is home is simple robbery and they are looking to just steal your property and make a profit. a home invasion in the middle of the night is an armed attack upon those living in the house and if the homeowners are not armed it usually ends badly, very badly. a home invasion with the homeowners home, isn't just about robbery, but is a violent attack that many times leaves the homeowners dead so there are no witness'. that is my viewpoint and where i base a decision to use deadly force if provoked. their breaking into my home in the middle of the night is the only provacation or justification i need to make that decision.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3860 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

In Germany we have to keep our guns in a safe with the ammo in a different compartment. If we do have time to get every together, we have to follow a certain order of events. First we warn we are going to shoot. Then we have to shoot the ground. Then we can shoot the intruder. I would start with step three and work my way up . Also if the intruder has a knife, I have to use a knife. Or bat, etc...That is why I have pepper spray bullets in one of my Sigs magazines. I am very good with bladed weapons like our katanas too, as well as my kids. I taught my kids to protect themselves at an early age. To bad we have to teach them to lethally fight adults, says a lot about our world today. Oh, only competition shooters and hunters can own guns and everything is very expensive with lots of red tape.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
In Germany we have to keep our guns in a safe with the ammo in a different compartment. If we do have time to get every together, we have to follow a certain order of events. First we warn we are going to shoot. Then we have to shoot the ground. Then we can shoot the intruder. I would start with step three and work my way up . Also if the intruder has a knife, I have to use a knife. Or bat, etc...That is why I have pepper spray bullets in one of my Sigs magazines. I am very good with bladed weapons like our katanas too, as well as my kids. I taught my kids to protect themselves at an early age. To bad we have to teach them to lethally fight adults, says a lot about our world today. Oh, only competition shooters and hunters can own guns and everything is very expensive with lots of red tape.
Jagermeister that just totally sucks. if the liberals ever truly had their way here in the US, we would be just as bad off.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #58

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
I look at the world rather simplistically at times.
I don't believe the stopping the threat part to be a terribly hard decision. It's really simple math when you boil it down to the basics. Me & mine vs. someone with bad intent toward me & mine. Simple.
Dealing with the aftermath is another issue entirely. I believe that ending another human's existence is likely to be a traumatic experience, however much it's deserved or justified.
I hope to never have to deal with it.
I take this stance as well, i just dont see anybody that has a strong will to live and a solid strength of character to hesitate in doing ANYTHING that needs to be done when his life or life of loved ones are at stake. When your flight or fight response kicks in I feel like your ego and conscience are no longer in play,you just act... If you don't act then its likely because you froze up in the face of danger,which does happen, or failed to train and couldn't act effectively.

I do see the conscience and ego coming into play in a big way after the fact.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3860 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Tell me about. What sucks is I am an American living overseas seeing politicians treating the constitution like it is toilet paper. America is turning into 1937 Germany.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Tell me about. What sucks is I am an American living overseas seeing politicians treating the constitution like it is toilet paper. America is turning into 1937 Germany.
very much agreed. that is why we that support the 2nd amendment must never relax or give in. we must remain vigilant at all times and never slack off. any gun rights lost are much harder to restore. IMO, i believe we are winning even if it is slowly.