Could you actually do it? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Could you actually do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I look at it like this. There is plenty in life I don't want to do but may have to. I didn't want to change dirty diapers but I did it and even learned to do it without gagging for awhile. I never enjoyed it.

I hate driving in rush hour traffic, but I drove it for years because I needed to support my family.

I would not shoot to kill. I will shoot to stop the attacker. Unfortunately for them the location I am best able to hit AND best able to get them to stop also contains so many of their vital organs. Killing them also ensures they are no longer a threat, so I won't hesitate. I've dealt with enough scumbags that I'm not even sure I would feel bad. That said, what I REALLY don't want is for my family to ever be in so much danger that I have to make that choice.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

People Like This 
Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2815 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 1640

As far as this situatiuon is concerned: My greatest hope is that the security and sanctity of our home is never violated. My second greatest hope is that I will live a full, productive, loving and giving life after I have been forced to kill someone to maintain that security and sanctity. I will do my utmost to secure my family and home! We do what we must out of love and committment.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Too many people seem to answer this quickly. It is really easy to say "yeah, f*ck em" conversation over. The truth is, there is not a whole lot that can be done to prepare for such a thing mentally unless youre trained for it. I like to think that I would without hesitation but I've never had to do it. I have feared for my life before, felt the heart race and the muscles get quick and jittery. So, I know dealing with adrenaline is a bitch.

I'll say I'd be most worried about hitting my dog, but I have come to terms that if it comes down to it she's gonna die. Cause if the bad guys willing to hurt me they won't think twice about hurting a dog trying to bite their face off.

The dog gets their first cause shes faster. The bad guys possibly kill or injure her. After that no, I got no fing problem shooting someone who hurt my dog in my own home. That's how I see my situation playing out at least.
Seems your system is down to Earth. You realize the reality of it all. And yes, kill my dog; I'll rip your f'ing head off.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
dango Likes This 
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Seriously someone who has "never fired a shot in anger" might hesitate or just flat out fail to--I think MANY would at best hesitate tho who knows till they're tested? I promise nobody is going to say they might
Yes. We never know how we will preform unless under real world conditions.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

dango Likes This 
Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
As far as this situatiuon is concerned: My greatest hope is that the security and sanctity of our home is never violated. My second greatest hope is that I will live a full, productive, loving and giving life after I have been forced to kill someone to maintain that security and sanctity. I will do my utmost to secure my family and home! We do what we must out of love and committment.
Amen to that brother. Someone's got to take out the trash, but not everyone is ready.

dango Likes This 
Old 02-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2894 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

Some training I have received in the past has prepared me for such a situation. I have tried to instill a little into my wife (not too much as the pupil has been known to outdo the teacher.)

But, YES, I could do it in defense of me or mine.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #17

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

The only thing that would make me hesitate is a lawsuit

Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #18
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I know from experience that defending myself I might hesitate, in defense of another, you don't want to be on the receiving end.

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
The only thing that would make me hesitate is a lawsuit

well that just comes down to knowing your state and local laws. Beyond that, I'd rather face a jury than the man upstairs. Not ready yet.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
dango Likes This 
Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
well that just comes down to knowing your state and local laws. Beyond that, I'd rather face a jury than the man upstairs. Not ready yet.
I think cattle just put our thoughts down on paper here. Why are these dam# laws always supporting criminals? What happened to the good days where you shoot a bad guy, the end? I see our world changing. I believe in a new beginning.

dango Likes This