Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Could you actually do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 314 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Default Could you actually do it?

I got a question from a friend a while back. He asked if I could actually take a life in pure home defense. At first it made me think and then I realized, better his than mine (please note I am not pre meditating anything). Could you guys do it? Why? I am simply curious to see what your thoughts on a bad guy in the house and how you guys mentally handle this sort of thing

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #2

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Uhhh---Yes

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 02-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Uhhh---Yes
I know it is somewhat of an obvious question but I have heard of people that used to be worried that they would freeze up. Something to give thought into. That is why training Is key.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

People Like This 
Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

I have s 2 yr old and a wife if someone breaks into our home i would not hesitate or ask questions i will just do it

Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

Liked 4430 Times on 2148 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Those of us who have served... be it Military or LEO... understand that taking human life is NOT a natural act for a sane person.

All of us went through months or years of training to able to do this without hesitation, should a threat warrent it.

Those who have done it are loath to discuss it... those who have not, hope they never need to.

...and despite training, there still those who, at the moment of truth, hesitate

All I can tell you is that if you had no training, get some, and if you've had some training, get more.

We would all like to think we've got what it takes to do this in order to protect ourselves and our loved ones but until the choice is forced upon you, you just don't know... and the only peperation for it is found in training.

Did I say, get some training?

Tack

Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by urquidez View Post
I have s 2 yr old and a wife if someone breaks into our home i would not hesitate or ask questions i will just do it
Glad you feel this way. Using a God given right in a screwed up world. Glad to see people taking an approach to protect.

dango Likes This 
Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Those of us who have served... be it Military or LEO... understand that taking human life is NOT a natural act for a sane person.

All of us went through months or years of training to able to do this without hesitation, should a threat warrent it.

Those who have done it are loath to discuss it... those who have not, hope they never need to.

...and despite training, there still those who, at the moment of truth, hesitate

All I can tell you is that if you had no training, get some, and if you've had some training, get more.

We would all like to think we've got what it takes to do this in order to protect ourselves and our loved ones but until the choice is forced upon you, you just don't know... and the only peperation for it is found in training.

Did I say, get some training?

Tack
I have a friend in the military who says the similar. Training and repetition are key here. Thanks for the tips.

dango Likes This 
Old 02-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Too many people seem to answer this quickly. It is really easy to say "yeah, f*ck em" conversation over. The truth is, there is not a whole lot that can be done to prepare for such a thing mentally unless youre trained for it. I like to think that I would without hesitation but I've never had to do it. I have feared for my life before, felt the heart race and the muscles get quick and jittery. So, I know dealing with adrenaline is a bitch.

I'll say I'd be most worried about hitting my dog, but I have come to terms that if it comes down to it she's gonna die. Cause if the bad guys willing to hurt me they won't think twice about hurting a dog trying to bite their face off.

The dog gets their first cause shes faster. The bad guys possibly kill or injure her. After that no, I got no fing problem shooting someone who hurt my dog in my own home. That's how I see my situation playing out at least.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Cattledog; 02-21-2013 at 06:16 PM.
dango Likes This 
Old 02-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #9

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

You never want to and if you do it you will be emotionally messed up but if it means protecting my family and myself I can do it. I have talked to officer's before hand (taking classes) and they all cried when talking about being in a shooting, they were getting shot at and luckily the guy missed and then they shot back killed the guy so they were protecting themselves but still a hard thing to deal with.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #10

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
I know it is somewhat of an obvious question but I have heard of people that used to be worried that they would freeze up. Something to give thought into. That is why training Is key.
Seriously someone who has "never fired a shot in anger" might hesitate or just flat out fail to--I think MANY would at best hesitate tho who knows till they're tested? I promise nobody is going to say they might

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This