Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Cost of Thanksgiving Dinner (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/cost-thanksgiving-dinner-100876/)

MisterMcCool 11-27-2013 06:21 PM

The American Farm Bureau Federation has determined that the average Thanksgiving feast will cost just $49.04!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2013/11/16/thanksgiving-cost/3594637/
"The group estimates the cost by averaging non-sale food prices around the country based on feeding 10 people a meal of turkey, bread stuffing, sweet potatoes, rolls with butter, peas, cranberries, carrots and celery, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, and coffee and milk."


Seems impossible to me. I easily spend twice that. How about you?

kytowboater 11-27-2013 06:26 PM

23lb yard bird was $18, plus everything else, I'm going to spend over that.

winds-of-change 11-27-2013 06:35 PM

My son bought two turkeys to cook. The rest of us all bring side dishes. I, myself, am bring the stuffing, corn souffle and cranberries. Also Chex mix. It helps defray the cost and the work on the host and hostess. And we all like bringing our "specialty" dishes. But I agree, feeding 10 people a full Thanksgiving dinner is well over $50, I'm sure.


Hmmm......I'm wondering if they are considering "serving size". I mean, if a serving of stuffing is, say half a cup and a serving of cranberries is 1/4 cup and each person takes only one roll and a pumpkin pie serves twelve people, well, then maybe. But if everyone's family is like my family, we eat BIG on Thanksgiving.

seancslaughter 11-27-2013 06:54 PM

At HEB they had a deal if you bought a ham then 12lbs of your turkey was free so I actually saved a lil money getting my christmas ham early and a 19 lbs bird.

TLuker 11-27-2013 07:09 PM

I think what they meant to say is that thanks to the state of the economy the average family only has $50.00 to spend on Thanksgiving and therefore the cost of the average meal will be $49.04! :(

Jagermeister 11-27-2013 07:15 PM

I live in Germany, married to a German. So, no Thanksgiving dinner for me. We did compromise though. This year we are having ham.

vincent 11-27-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLuker (Post 1442658)
I think what they meant to say is that thanks to the state of the economy the average family only has $50.00 to spend on Thanksgiving and therefore the cost of the average meal will be $49.04! :(

Exactly what I was thinking...

A can of Beenie Weenies and a pack of Nabs comes pretty cheap...:mad:

danf_fl 11-27-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1442621)
The American Farm Bureau Federation has determined that the average Thanksgiving feast will cost just $49.04!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2013/11/16/thanksgiving-cost/3594637/
"The group estimates the cost by averaging non-sale food prices around the country based on feeding 10 people a meal of turkey, bread stuffing, sweet potatoes, rolls with butter, peas, cranberries, carrots and celery, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, and coffee and milk."


Seems impossible to me. I easily spend twice that. How about you?

We are expecting 10 people (about 9 too many) for Thanksgiving.
The group quoted did not take into consideration 1 important item:













My wife!

Anna_Purna 11-27-2013 08:51 PM

I am guessing maybe 12.75 to 13 dollars and some change. (Papa Johns Pizza and left overs all day tomorrow)

MisterMcCool 11-27-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna
I am guessing maybe 12.75 to 13 dollars and some change. (Papa Johns Pizza and left overs all day tomorrow)

That is just sad. :(


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:11 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.