That cop SHOULDN'T shoot the dog :( - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

That cop SHOULDN'T shoot the dog :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3255 Times on 1945 Posts
Likes Given: 2360

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m View Post
It sounds like your stereotyping rotties as aggressive killing machines and I hope your are not I have two rotts and neither are mean if you were to come after me or my wife in an aggressive manner it would be the last thing you did cause they would F you up but that is any dog. Any dog will defend there owner to the death if they truly love them and that is all this dog in that video was doing was protecting his owner so don't call this dog mean or aggressive cause that is no nessacarly the case the dog was not at fault that dog was being a dog it is 100% the owners fault for putting himself and his dog in a compromising situation
i think you are presuming something that i didn't say. i did name the dogs by breed, but i didn't say anything negative about "rotties." just told a story as fact. so no offense meant at all to a breed of dog you seem to like.

you seem to brag on your dogs "Fing" people up. my friendly advice would be to avoid such speech, in the instance that they ever do bite someone. this type of talk has a way of coming back...again, just a friendly bit of advice.

and what might happen if your "defensive" dogs misunderstand a wrestling match or playful behavior and tear a friend or some kid up? are you SURE that a DOG can make such distinctions? they are....dogs...y'know?

i don't care if its a dogs "fault" or not. they shouldn't bite people....period. if they they act in a threatening manner towards my family or myself i would shoot or injure any dog, if i thought the threat was real.

i value people over animals in ALL regards (with the exception of animal cruelty)

just my opinion. we may have to disagree.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I fostered a Rott for a year. It was a very sweet dog and very good with my children.
ok....SORRY if i offended anyone naming the specific dog! it wasn't my intention to upset any Rottweiler owners!

rott, pitt, lab, standard poodle...i don't care! if its big enough to actually REALLY hurt (or kill) a person...then it is a threat. if it becomes a real threat to a person...it needs to be stopped by ANY means. i can't believe anyone would disagree with this honestly.

how many of you have concealed permits? you think you're ready to shoot a human when the sight of a shot dog (who could have really hurt someone) is bothering you this much?

again, i have had dogs, cats, etc. i was hurt when any of them died. i love pets....BUT....pets are NOT supposed to attack people...if they do and get shot, well......it had to happen.

i'm not meaning to be rude here, i'm just not getting it?

Old 07-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #23
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 154 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

ok....SORRY if i offended anyone naming the specific dog! it wasn't my intention to upset any Rottweiler owners!

rott, pitt, lab, standard poodle...i don't care! if its big enough to actually REALLY hurt (or kill) a person...then it is a threat. if it becomes a real threat to a person...it needs to be stopped by ANY means. i can't believe anyone would disagree with this honestly.

how many of you have concealed permits? you think you're ready to shoot a human when the sight of a shot dog (who could have really hurt someone) is bothering you this much?

again, i have had dogs, cats, etc. i was hurt when any of them died. i love pets....BUT....pets are NOT supposed to attack people...if they do and get shot, well......it had to happen.

i'm not meaning to be rude here, i'm just not getting it?
My dogs are trained to be able to tell playing around and someone hurting me or my family that's what we trained them to do I don't think the cop was wrong like I said earlier its the owners fault for putting his dog and himself in a compromising situation the cop was not at fault I'm sorry I took what you said the wrong way I am glad you are not hateful towards the bully breeds but yes I do agree with you and I would have done the same thin as the cop if I was being attacked by a dog I just don't want people to think the dog attacked the cop because he was a rottie you know what I mean
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #24

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i think you are presuming something that i didn't say. i did name the dogs by breed, but i didn't say anything negative about "rotties." just told a story as fact. so no offense meant at all to a breed of dog you seem to like.

you seem to brag on your dogs "Fing" people up. my friendly advice would be to avoid such speech, in the instance that they ever do bite someone. this type of talk has a way of coming back...again, just a friendly bit of advice.

and what might happen if your "defensive" dogs misunderstand a wrestling match or playful behavior and tear a friend or some kid up? are you SURE that a DOG can make such distinctions? they are....dogs...y'know?

i don't care if its a dogs "fault" or not. they shouldn't bite people....period. if they they act in a threatening manner towards my family or myself i would shoot or injure any dog, if i thought the threat was real.

i value people over animals in ALL regards (with the exception of animal cruelty)

just my opinion. we may have to disagree.
I don't see it as bragging really. It's more a source of pride maybe. My dog would do pretty much the same if she seen me or mine in trouble. He wasn't really taught to do it. She just does it. She's an extremely loyal and protective animal. She's not a cool breed, just a German police/Norwegian Bull Dog mix. All of 70-75 lb. She's great with kids and has the penitence of a saint. Unless you are in a place she believes you have no business lie my property at night. Or acting on an aggressive manner to me or family. Dogs most of the time are a reflection of their humans. If they are treated well they will break their backs to please you. My girl rides with me and wont even bark of people get close to the car. Open the door and I"m not in the car though and there might be a problem. Is she out of line to bite? Is the human attempting to gain access to my vehicle more important? Now I do not leave my windows down where she can get out. I don't think she would, she never has acted like she wanted to but it's just more safe for everyone.

My dog is a member of my family. She is like a big hairy kid and I'd probably react like my child had been hurt if someone went to hurt her. And God help the person that would try to hurt any of my family.

I think the dog owner in the OP could have taken steps before hand to not allow his dog to be able to jump out of his car. If there is any fault it's there. But the bottom line is I can't see where police had any reason to treat the man in the manner they did and the dog reacted as I would imagine mine would. The only real difference is mine would not have barked so long. And she's much faster than that rottie was.Hell she kills copperheads pretty much daily out here. I think she finds them tasty

A good dog wont hurt a kid period.They do know the difference. Dogs are a lot smarter than many people I know. Mine does not like to see any fighting but she has seen kids fight and she has not intervened.She come to get me whining like the sky was falling. She knows enough to kill varmints but protects the outside cats we have. She watches over our cattle and even chickens and will not hurt them. she lets calves chase her. She has the ability to love something other than herself. She mourned the death of her favorite cat for over a month. She's brought wandering kittens back to their mothers.
..Not too bad for a dumb animal..She is just a dog after all.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #25

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong
Apparently the man had a prior lawsuit with the department,and had also harassed officers before. Didnt have volume up loud but It looks to me like he was taunting the officers,bystanders seemed to confirm this according to several sources.

Also,this was a armed home invasion/robbery call that had resulted in some type of standoff. The police apparently tried to wave him around the roadblock and told him to stop blaring his music while he was passing,he did neither... Instead he parked and got out of his vehicle to videotape the crime scene and shout at officers.

This man (from what it seems) got his own dog killed,I have no sympathy for him. I do feel bad the dog had to die,but if it had been me the dog probably wouldn't have gotten close to me the first time around. I do wish they would have put it down quicker than that and saved it some misery though.
I don't know the full story so I won't jump to an ill informed opinion like most, but from what I've heard jstrong is spot on. I have 3 dogs love them but I'm not getting injured for someone's poor handling I would have considered force sooner honestly

Old 07-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

i like dogs. but i think all pitbulls and rottweilers should be shoot on sight. they are dogs bred for one thing. war. they are genetically programmed with a extremely refined sense of protecting territory from all challenges. i wouldnt shed a single tear if the entire breeding pool of those things went extinct tomorrow

i dont believe in making things illegal like that but i firmly believe in holding the owner responsible for all damages done if they choose to harbor a dangerous animal like that.

the sweetest pitbull or rottweiler in the world will turn on you or its owner in a nanosecond if the right triggers are pushed in just the right way. there is no telling what that trigger is either. with those breeds a dog that has been a loving guardian and family memebr for years can turn easily in a instant to ripping the heart out of the next person it sees for no apparant reason.

happens all the time
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
buckhuntr Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m View Post
My dogs are trained to be able to tell playing around and someone hurting me or my family that's what we trained them to do I don't think the cop was wrong like I said earlier its the owners fault for putting his dog and himself in a compromising situation the cop was not at fault I'm sorry I took what you said the wrong way I am glad you are not hateful towards the bully breeds but yes I do agree with you and I would have done the same thin as the cop if I was being attacked by a dog I just don't want people to think the dog attacked the cop because he was a rottie you know what I mean
no worries friend! i have no anger toward any breed of dog. for me NURTURE always trumps NATURE. imo, its how the owners treat big dogs that have a tendency to be defensive. i've seen too many sweet pit bulls/rotts to think they're bad dogs. the problem is...so many people MAKE THEM bad dogs.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I don't see it as bragging really. It's more a source of pride maybe. My dog would do pretty much the same if she seen me or mine in trouble. He wasn't really taught to do it. She just does it. She's an extremely loyal and protective animal. She's not a cool breed, just a German police/Norwegian Bull Dog mix. All of 70-75 lb. She's great with kids and has the penitence of a saint. Unless you are in a place she believes you have no business lie my property at night. Or acting on an aggressive manner to me or family. Dogs most of the time are a reflection of their humans. If they are treated well they will break their backs to please you. My girl rides with me and wont even bark of people get close to the car. Open the door and I"m not in the car though and there might be a problem. Is she out of line to bite? Is the human attempting to gain access to my vehicle more important? Now I do not leave my windows down where she can get out. I don't think she would, she never has acted like she wanted to but it's just more safe for everyone.

My dog is a member of my family. She is like a big hairy kid and I'd probably react like my child had been hurt if someone went to hurt her. And God help the person that would try to hurt any of my family.

I think the dog owner in the OP could have taken steps before hand to not allow his dog to be able to jump out of his car. If there is any fault it's there. But the bottom line is I can't see where police had any reason to treat the man in the manner they did and the dog reacted as I would imagine mine would. The only real difference is mine would not have barked so long. And she's much faster than that rottie was.Hell she kills copperheads pretty much daily out here. I think she finds them tasty

A good dog wont hurt a kid period.They do know the difference. Dogs are a lot smarter than many people I know. Mine does not like to see any fighting but she has seen kids fight and she has not intervened.She come to get me whining like the sky was falling. She knows enough to kill varmints but protects the outside cats we have. She watches over our cattle and even chickens and will not hurt them. she lets calves chase her. She has the ability to love something other than herself. She mourned the death of her favorite cat for over a month. She's brought wandering kittens back to their mothers.
..Not too bad for a dumb animal..She is just a dog after all.
i respect your opinion, and i see where you are coming from.

however, i think my reason for owning a dog is very different form yours. i have no interest in a "defensive" dog...and my reasoning is that you can never truly predict when it might get defensive or who it might get defensive with. to me a good bark or snarl is enough, if any dog of mine EVER bit anyone...it would be gone (regardless of how much i loved it )! i want a safe pet that i know will never hurt anyone either offensively or defensively. because i think the chances of a defensive dog hurting someone good is about equal to the chances of hurting someone bad.

and you're comment about dogs and kids, i am sad to say...you are mistaken there. dogs hurt and kill kids on a regular basis. some breeds are even known for distaste for children. i personally knew a friend of some family whose child was savagely attacked by an old family dog. no one knew why the dog went off....

bottom line for me, we've got the guns...we don't need our dog to be anything other than cute and friendly.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 998 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 1876

I have been in the situation of having a dog I was not familiar with come running at me. Pistol was up and ready, but was not needed. If it had not stopped, I *would* have taken it out. whether arrest was justified or not, imho an attacking dog is forfeit. Just like a dog attacking my chickens (has happened), goats or sheep will be shot without delay, no different from any other four-footed predator.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #30

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i respect your opinion, and i see where you are coming from.

however, i think my reason for owning a dog is very different form yours. i have no interest in a "defensive" dog...and my reasoning is that you can never truly predict when it might get defensive or who it might get defensive with. to me a good bark or snarl is enough, if any dog of mine EVER bit anyone...it would be gone (regardless of how much i loved it )! i want a safe pet that i know will never hurt anyone either offensively or defensively. because i think the chances of a defensive dog hurting someone good is about equal to the chances of hurting someone bad.

and you're comment about dogs and kids, i am sad to say...you are mistaken there. dogs hurt and kill kids on a regular basis. some breeds are even known for distaste for children. i personally knew a friend of some family whose child was savagely attacked by an old family dog. no one knew why the dog went off....

bottom line for me, we've got the guns...we don't need our dog to be anything other than cute and friendly.

I'm not saying they wont. I'm saying a good dog wont hurt a child. I've killed dogs that have hurt kids. One was mine and I really loved that dog but a good dog will not hurt a child. This was apparently not a good dog and I wont have that kind of risk in my house.