That cop SHOULDN'T shoot the dog :( - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > That cop SHOULDN'T shoot the dog :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
The dog owner bears at least some of the credit for the dead dog. He went there knowing/hoping to have a confrontation with the police. He should have left his dog home. Not sticking up for the police but the guy was stupid(also). Then the police said they shot the dog to protect the dog's owner, what a stupid statement.
How do you know he went there hoping for a confrontation? It looked like he was just videoing the police to me. He was cooperative, and even put the dog in his car when the police were coming.

This was 100% avoidable by the police. The officers involved should lose their jobs.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3017 Times on 1572 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I will not watch the video. If the guy was not interfering and just video recording an incident, THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION IN ARRESTING HIM!!!!!!

We get a few knuckleheads that think recording is going to somehow show we did something wrong. Stupid person. OUR video is running, it will catch the behavior, good or bad.

In 29 years of LE, I have shot exactly ONE dog. I will go out of my way to NOT shoot a dog. I have seen some LEO's who were (perhaps) too eager to shoot dogs.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 07-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Apparently the man had a prior lawsuit with the department,and had also harassed officers before. Didnt have volume up loud but It looks to me like he was taunting the officers,bystanders seemed to confirm this according to several sources.

Also,this was a armed home invasion/robbery call that had resulted in some type of standoff. The police apparently tried to wave him around the roadblock and told him to stop blaring his music while he was passing,he did neither... Instead he parked and got out of his vehicle to videotape the crime scene and shout at officers.

This man (from what it seems) got his own dog killed,I have no sympathy for him. I do feel bad the dog had to die,but if it had been me the dog probably wouldn't have gotten close to me the first time around. I do wish they would have put it down quicker than that and saved it some misery though.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #14
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7972 Times on 4785 Posts
Likes Given: 10233

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I will not watch the video. If the guy was not interfering and just video recording an incident, THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION IN ARRESTING HIM!!!!!!

We get a few knuckleheads that think recording is going to somehow show we did something wrong. Stupid person. OUR video is running, it will catch the behavior, good or bad.

In 29 years of LE, I have shot exactly ONE dog. I will go out of my way to NOT shoot a dog. I have seen some LEO's who were (perhaps) too eager to shoot dogs.
Robo, this dog jumped out an open car window when it's owner was getting handcuffed. The dog then lunged at one of the officers in a very aggressive manner. Everyone here knows how I really like my dogs but I feel the shooting of that dog might just have been justified. Now, I had no sound on that video. I'm not sure the handcuffing of the owner was justified. I don't think the man was videoing to show the officers were doing something wrong. It just looked like something big was going on and the guy was just trying to catch some action on video.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #15

Liked 3187 Times on 1902 Posts
Likes Given: 2251

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

i think more people are upset about the dog than the arrest. idk why the guy was arrested?

again, i think it's borderline wrong/right. the dog was acting aggressively and could have injured someone seriously. that is enough justification to shoot a dog imo. BUT i do think it could have been handled in a better way though (like using the owner to calm the dog). i also wish the officer would have gone in for an immediate (and more humane) kill shot, but as an LEO, does he have the authority to do that? in most instances, it seems they only have the authority to stop, not make kill shots (even related to animals i would assume). of course, it would ahve been the humane thing to do. in the video, I want to rush up and provide the mercy kill.

personally, i love animals and treat them kindly all the time. but i have ZERO TOLERANCE for domesticated animals harming humans! especially if they have the potential to seriously harm or even kill.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #16

Liked 3187 Times on 1902 Posts
Likes Given: 2251

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qv-D7hyWKs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just watched this video and it broke my heart.
The owner didn't do anything wrong and acted NO resistance at all.
Suddenly his dog tried to protect the owner but unfortunately that stupid cop shot it .
RIP to that dog, it did it's job.
and this a bit off topic, but every since i watched a news report on two rottweilers that stalked stalked, then attacked and killed two elementary kids, i tend to favor the side of caution when it comes to large, aggressive dogs.

i would rather see a million dogs shot than see one kid get ripped apart by a dog. and i'd rather see 100 dogs shot than see one tear up a police officer.

again, i love animals and pets. but i simply don't believe in tolerating a danger or threat from them.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #17

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Holy crap! The dog owner owns some responsibility?!?!?!! Rah! Rah!! Cheer the men in blue that cuffed as man that was a half a block away with a cell phone recording the cops. The man put his dog in the car because the two officers where coming toward him. Did he know he was going to be cuffed? I sure as hell would not. I'm a half a block away recording some cops doing...Whatever they where doing but the man had to reason to know he would even be detained, let alone cuffed. The dog did his job. His owner was being assaulted. Sorry kids but a badge does not allow you to assault someone for vid taping from more than a safe distance. There was no way he was even close enough to get audio unless they where screaming. THere was not even a reason to come talk to the dogs owner unless you wanted to get the guys laughing and recording from across the street form where the dog and his owner was as well.

I'm sorry there was no one to blame but law enforcement that went to enforce no law by cuffing a man that was at that distance. The dog did what a protective dog does. I wonder if the owner would have got a couple of rounds too if he went to reach in his car to roll the window up.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #18

Liked 154 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

and this a bit off topic, but every since i watched a news report on two rottweilers that stalked stalked, then attacked and killed two elementary kids, i tend to favor the side of caution when it comes to large, aggressive dogs.

i would rather see a million dogs shot than see one kid get ripped apart by a dog. and i'd rather see 100 dogs shot than see one tear up a police officer.

again, i love animals and pets. but i simply don't believe in tolerating a danger or threat from them.
It sounds like your stereotyping rotties as aggressive killing machines and I hope your are not I have two rotts and neither are mean if you were to come after me or my wife in an aggressive manner it would be the last thing you did cause they would F you up but that is any dog. Any dog will defend there owner to the death if they truly love them and that is all this dog in that video was doing was protecting his owner so don't call this dog mean or aggressive cause that is no nessacarly the case the dog was not at fault that dog was being a dog it is 100% the owners fault for putting himself and his dog in a compromising situation

Old 07-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #19
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7972 Times on 4785 Posts
Likes Given: 10233

I fostered a Rott for a year. It was a very sweet dog and very good with my children.

People Like This 
Old 07-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #20

Liked 5009 Times on 2429 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

I'm with DJ on this one...

I don't know what this guy did to draw LEO attention other that perhaps annoy them with his videotaping and some comments.

The notion that Cops have the authority to "detain" anyone they see fit without RAS is the root of the problem.

I've been paid to carry a gun and was taught to ignore ass hats looking to get a rise out me... and I expect Officers to have the same level of professionalism and respect for the BOR.

IMHO... Cops instigated the situation "without cause", that drew out the dog... and I hope the owner pulls a fat settlement.

It seems that fear of lawsuits is about the only thing these guys have to fear.

Tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Holy crap! The dog owner owns some responsibility?!?!?!! Rah! Rah!! Cheer the men in blue that cuffed as man that was a half a block away with a cell phone recording the cops. The man put his dog in the car because the two officers where coming toward him. Did he know he was going to be cuffed? I sure as hell would not. I'm a half a block away recording some cops doing...Whatever they where doing but the man had to reason to know he would even be detained, let alone cuffed. The dog did his job. His owner was being assaulted. Sorry kids but a badge does not allow you to assault someone for vid taping from more than a safe distance. There was no way he was even close enough to get audio unless they where screaming. THere was not even a reason to come talk to the dogs owner unless you wanted to get the guys laughing and recording from across the street form where the dog and his owner was as well.

I'm sorry there was no one to blame but law enforcement that went to enforce no law by cuffing a man that was at that distance. The dog did what a protective dog does. I wonder if the owner would have got a couple of rounds too if he went to reach in his car to roll the window up.