Coolest, Grossest, Scariesty, and Skeeziest hotel/motel/campground you ever stayed at - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Coolest, Grossest, Scariesty, and Skeeziest hotel/motel/campground you ever stayed at

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 02:09 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Spent a weekend at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis 'bout 10 years ago. The ducks are kinda cute.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #32

Liked 333 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 6

best was in Shakopee MN, i think it was a best western. rooms weren't fancy but they had free video games, a full-on buffet for breakfast, fresh cookies every nite in the lobby, & super friendly staff.

worst was in Green River UT. motel hadn't been updated since the 60's, dead bugs under the covers, ice machine didn't work, alarm clock didn't work the next morning, and the town was just kinda creepy in general. lots of closed motels & truck stops, very twilight zone-ish. i'm sure it's a nice place overall but we didn't get that "welcome" vibe from anyone there.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 02-20-2013, 02:12 AM   #33

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Spent a weekend at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis 'bout 10 years ago. The ducks are kinda cute.
They have individual lamps in the lobby bathroom stalls. Marble and granite...on every surface. Anytime I'm nearby, I stop in to use the can. Then I daydream about cleaning up with $1,000 bills. But they even kill that fantasy. They have angel soft.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #34
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Coolest - Thornbury Castle in England

Worst - this doesn't really qualify under the forum title, but it was an accommodation - one night in a 'male dorm' at a Convent in Dehli, India. Turned on the lights and giant cockroachs scurried everywhere. Exhausted from a trek, we crashed and slept with sheets tight around our necks and backpacks hung from the rafters. Long night hearing clicking on the concrete floor until we passed out. Considering a friend and I were making our way around India, Pakistan and Bangladesh back in the late 80's and this was the worst place we slept, we felt pretty fortunate. No hotels at all until the last night. Slept in locals homes, one night in the Dacca Airport floor, and an overnight 'sleeper' railcar through Pakistan with four other smelly local travelers - OK, that was bad too.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #35

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Best would have to be the Hyatt Regency in the Dearborn/Detroit area. It was right across the interstate from ford world headquarters. I competed in the ford/AAA challenge when I was in high school. I loved being on the trip and all the things we got to do but I utterly hated the area. The hotel was amazing though. This country boy was wayyyy out of the comfort zone with all the fancy stuff and four course meals for breakfast lunch and dinner.
the worst I've ever been in would have to be a condo in panama city beach Florida. We got kicked out of the one we was staying in and this was the only place we could find that would let under 21 rent the condo. I can't recall the name of it because I was highly intoxicated for that entire week. That was back in my wilder days. It was filthy, infested, and had an Indian family next door that ate in every night. The smell from their cooking would come full strength through the ac vents. Luckily we only stayed a few nights there before coming home.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:14 AM   #36
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8111 Times on 4684 Posts
Likes Given: 10477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556 View Post
The hotel was amazing though. This country boy was wayyyy out of the comfort zone with all the fancy stuff and four course meals for breakfast lunch and dinner.
One of the more memorable bad dining experiences I have had was a high end fancy hotel in Fond du Lac Wisconsin. It was the last race of the season so it was a big deal (we had won yet another national championship) where we had the highest ranking people from American Honda there and had a small, private banquet room- probably only 30 people give or take. We started early, I think around 6:00, and the whole meal took over 4 hours start to finish. We were so bored waiting for the next course to be served that we all started playing the water glasses, pouring water from one glass to get different tones, and playing songs collectively on the water glasses with enough practice time to get quite good. Naturally there was a lot of alcohol consumed. But it was an excruciatingly long meal. Funny part is that after 4 hours, and a lot of waiting between courses, the wait staff asked if we wanted dessert! We all laughed and said we might but wanted to get to bed before midnight.

We weren't quite as good as this guy, but you get the idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvkELEBMLV0

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:34 AM   #37

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
One of the more memorable bad dining experiences I have had was a high end fancy hotel in Fond du Lac Wisconsin. It was the last race of the season so it was a big deal (we had won yet another national championship) where we had the highest ranking people from American Honda there and had a small, private banquet room- probably only 30 people give or take. We started early, I think around 6:00, and the whole meal took over 4 hours start to finish. We were so bored waiting for the next course to be served that we all started playing the water glasses, pouring water from one glass to get different tones, and playing songs collectively on the water glasses with enough practice time to get quite good. Naturally there was a lot of alcohol consumed. But it was an excruciatingly long meal. Funny part is that after 4 hours, and a lot of waiting between courses, the wait staff asked if we wanted dessert! We all laughed and said we might but wanted to get to bed before midnight.

We weren't quite as good as this guy, but you get the idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvkELEBMLV0
yeah it was a little rich for my blood but a nice experience. I was pretty pissed when after I asked for a class of sweet tea they brought out some sort of piss colored water that tasted what I would imagine piss water taste like. After 4 days I was more than ready to get back to bama.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #38
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Forgot - can't remember the name of the hotel, but the 8th grade trip to Springfield, IL as part of the Constitution lessons. Tradition was knowing to check the hotel room bathrooms, lifting the ceiling tiles, and finding the girly magazine and booze bottles from the previous year's class trip. There was always someone with an older brother or dad that you could snag some new stuff to hide for next year's class. Of course some goody-two-shoes girl narced on us that year. We got yelled at. That was all. The 70's were great. Today they probably would call the cops and suspend you for at least a week.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #39

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

I enjoy riding my motorcycle touring cross country,I always try and stay at campgrounds and have been fortunate to find some very nice campgrounds.In 07' I stayed in the Grand Tetons in the primitive sites five dollars a night and had the most spectacular views of the sky filled full of stars along with the full moon.

The creepiest place I nearly stayed was some where in Kansas?
I was riding west crossing the KS. plains at night trying to make it to New Mexico for the night,when a huge super thunderstorm was ahead in my path,I could see it miles away on the plains. After miles and miles in the middle of nowhere I came across this little town with a campground/cabins,by this time the weather's terrible lightening and raining in sheets of rain.I pull into this place it starts giving me that???????
"Psycho Bates Motel feeling"
So I go to the old creepy house and this old creepy guy comes out,gives me the prices for a tent site,I ask about the little cabins,we go and look at one,I just can't get the Psycho movie out of my head at this place?? So I ask him if he has wireless internet?? I needed it for work (good excuse to get the He11 out of there!!)
He gave me directions and distance(30 more miles) to a larger town on the KS/NM border,I don't know if it was the severe thunderstorm,the creepy looking old house,or cabins?? I just couldn't get Psycho and Bates motel out of my head that night! So I rode in some of the worst weather another 30 miles LOL

Is that Skeeziest or sleaziest?
I stayed at a Hotel in Needles CA.,the price was cheaper than a campsite I found in that area,33.00 a night for the hotel/motel whatever it was?
So I check in and there's a little old lady there and few other women in the lobby,one of the women start talking to me,I don't think much about it? Until she starts telling me I should come up and see her later?? Then here comes another talkative woman looking really rough in her early 30s and NO teeth!! talking about a bunch crazy stuff?? and wants to know if I would like to maybe get together later for a drink?? SWIFTLY I inform her i'm waaaay married!!

I'm pretty sure that hotel/motel was a front for a brothel Next morning when I was leaving there were two squad cars in the parking lot hahaha and that was the sleaziest place I ever stayed LOL

Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 AM   #40
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8111 Times on 4684 Posts
Likes Given: 10477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556 View Post
yeah it was a little rich for my blood but a nice experience. I was pretty pissed when after I asked for a class of sweet tea they brought out some sort of piss colored water that tasted what I would imagine piss water taste like. After 4 days I was more than ready to get back to bama.
Yeah, I don't really care for those ultra-fancy joints. I have been in a few though. Just a couple of weeks ago I had drinks with a friend at the Top of the Mark bar in San Francisco. Nice view and all if you like the city (I don't) but $20 for a martini? Too much. I don't knowe what they charged for my non-alcoholic beer but it wasn't cheap I'm sure.

Back in the late 80's a few friends and I went into the lobby of the Park Avenue in NYC. Tried to crash a wedding there but got busted for being under-dressed after only one drink (that's all we were after was free drinks). The hotel was ho-hum in the lobby though.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.