You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Considering a Micro Truck. Thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2017, 06:24 AM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 870 Times on 500 Posts

The EPA, requires them to be limited to 25-mph max speed. Because they aren't certified for the US. The regs are less stringent on ones that are 25-years old.

The Japanese actually increase the ownership taxes as vehicles get older, or get more kilometers on them. So the older ones are worth very little in the Japanese home market, and are either scrapped or exported.

Since they are worth quite a bit more as exports, than scrap, the exporters expend quite a bit of effort to be sure they export only the best ones, so they don't get a reputation as junk, that isn't worth buying. Since they scrap more than they export, they have a lot of spare used parts to rehab the ones they do export.

The left hand conversions are heavily modified to be certified for import. One of the methods is to not install the high range in the transfer case, and install a smooth shaft/spacer instead of the gears, leaving just low range. Then the transmission is limited to three speeds. The engine is rev limited, so you can't go over 25-mph. This makes the left hand drive units dogs.
People Like This 
Old 08-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #22

Liked 8165 Times on 4464 Posts
Likes Given: 13914

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post
The EPA, requires them to be limited to 25-mph max speed. Because they aren't certified for the US. The regs are less stringent on ones that are 25-years old.

The Japanese actually increase the ownership taxes as vehicles get older, or get more kilometers on them. So the older ones are worth very little in the Japanese home market, and are either scrapped or exported.

Since they are worth quite a bit more as exports, than scrap, the exporters expend quite a bit of effort to be sure they export only the best ones, so they don't get a reputation as junk, that isn't worth buying. Since they scrap more than they export, they have a lot of spare used parts to rehab the ones they do export.

The left hand conversions are heavily modified to be certified for import. One of the methods is to not install the high range in the transfer case, and install a smooth shaft/spacer instead of the gears, leaving just low range. Then the transmission is limited to three speeds. The engine is rev limited, so you can't go over 25-mph. This makes the left hand drive units dogs.
been doing some research on this, and it seems rather confusing a to whether i can or can't legally operate one on public roads in Texas. according to this website, there doesn't seem to be any laws saying they can't be. unless i'm overlooking something.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/minitrucks?topicName=low--and-medium-speed-vehicles

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/minitrucks/mapminitrucksonroads?topicName=low--and-medium-speed-vehicles#map

now it's not really big deal or game changer, since the main purpose is more for off road usage around the farm anyways. but, if it could be registered, inspected and insured to legally run around into town and such, i might do away with my full size truck!
Old 08-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #23
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8326 Times on 4487 Posts
Likes Given: 6365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Another division at my workplace have these; I am not sure of the make. All of the comments I have heard about them were negative. They despise them....
Any specific comments?
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Generalizations are (almost) always bad.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/10th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-13-14-15-2017-a-123120/#post1850960
People Like This 
Old 08-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #24

Liked 8165 Times on 4464 Posts
Likes Given: 13914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Any specific comments?
i agree. if there are negatives to the micro trucks i want to know about them. the more i know, good or bad helps me make a better buying decision.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #25

Liked 1658 Times on 970 Posts
Likes Given: 254

I know in my part of Alaska they can be run on the city streets the same as snowmobiles, UTV's and ATV's.
They all use the same AK State vehicle registration sticker due to its gross vehicle weight, imagine a 18 wheeler passing one of these babys on a rainy day?
I passed one up not long ago, it was a nice clean rig, but I settled for an ATV which has a little more flexability for my needs and takes up less space.
The thing I considerd was I can always find some limited free space to stash my atv indoors for the winter, not so much for the Truck.
Dallas53 Likes This