Considering joining the military
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Considering joining the military

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Considering joining the military

Hello,

I have been considering joining the military for quite some time. Most likely the National Guard so I can keep my current job. I see alot of ppl here that currently serve or have served. If you are retired would you do it again? If you are currently serving is it what you were told it would be? How do you like it?

Thanks for any input,
Doug

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-29-2008, 11:06 PM   #2

It wasn't really how I was told it would be. Basic is nothing like the movies. I actually enjoyed myself there. My advice is to do it. It pays great and wearing the uniform gives me a great sense of pride along with a realization that I have to work hard to live up to the people who wore it before me. Don't want to put them to shame.
I would suggest not going into the Guard. When I got back from basic I was in a state of "what now?", I got all this training and now I have to be a civilian again. I wish that I had gone active from the get go.
Start working on PT and do your best.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNabb11b View Post
I would suggest not going into the Guard.
Thanks for your input. What do you recommend?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I too, would not go into the guard. Went into Army back in 1971, but didn't retire from there. Did 3 years active, 3 years inactive. Now, over 30 years later, I still have full medical coverage, went to college on full scholarship, and had never once looked back. I have to admit, I got lucky. Instead of Nam, the government sent me to Germany to work in a hospital since I was a medic. (Don't ask me why I didn't see combat, but I'll always thank the Lord I didn't.)

Old 04-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug1627 View Post
Hello,

I have been considering joining the military for quite some time. Most likely the National Guard so I can keep my current job. I see alot of ppl here that currently serve or have served. If you are retired would you do it again? If you are currently serving is it what you were told it would be? How do you like it?

Thanks for any input,
Doug

My son joined the Marines last year fresh out of High School - a bunch of his friends got together and decided to join. My ex-wife decided to sign his enlistment papers without telling me, so when I found out it was too late to discuss it with him. As it turns out, before he shipped out to Parris Is. his Recruiter requested that I come down and sign his papers or they would not let him go down until his 18th birthday. He really wanted to do it, and said my father's service in WWII was the impetus for him to join (he hit a soft spot with me with that one, but as I told him, a World War and the Middleast conflict are two very different things) so I signed. I'm proud of him, I support him and all our troops, but it scares the crap out of me and will continue to do so until his enlistment is up! There's some serious **** going on in the mideast and I think it will get worse before it gets better. Something to consider...it ain't like the movies, and it will change you for sure and forever if you see combat!

Last edited by RL357Mag; 04-30-2008 at 12:04 PM.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:37 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My son is currently in the Navy, He hates it. Good thing he'll be getting out in Dec.

The only times in this nations history that anything great happened it was because normal men put aside their petty differences and fight for a common cause.

Chester

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution.)

Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

First off, thank you for making the decision that so many are unwilling to make. The population of able bodied men that have served/ are serving grows smaller and smaller. Used to it was expected, especially in more rural areas. I like how the "older" folks say "he is in the service" instead of the more used "in the military". Service is on the mark; even if you don't agree with the politics, the administration, the rest of the population, IMO it is a great thing to give something back. You will be part of something much greater than you, and not necessarily the service to your Country. What you will give to your fellow soldiers cannot be understood by anyone that has not served.
Good luck to you.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for your input. What do you recommend?
Suggestion, pick what you love. Had a freind that was really into elecronics, so he signed up for the air force, with a job description in electonics. He acually worked on the radar systems behind the berlin wall, (dating us here), but when he got out, went to college on GI bill, and started a very succesful electronics company. You can serve your country and your country will train you with what you love. Thanks and good luck.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies everyone! Time to hook up with a recruiter.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

About like anything else, some folks hate it, some like it. I grew up as an Army Brat, my dad being career Army. Being in a very patriotic home, I thought of military service as paying my dues for the freedoms and rights we enjoy as citizens.

I enlisted in 1965 right after high school when Vietnam was heating up. It was either join with a choice, or get drafted. I chose Naval Aviation, in part on the advice of dad, an Infantryman. He advised that I would have much better career training that I could later apply to civilian life, than as an infantryman in the Army, or Marine Corps. I didn't like the Air Force uniforms, and at the time "bell-bottoms" were in fashion. (Groovy.)

I didn't get the career training I had hoped for, but what training I had later helped me in my surprise career, law enforcement.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved