Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Congressional Drug Testing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Congressional Drug Testing

In a conversation with co-workers, I proposed drug testing for Congress. Perhaps all of their aides and employees too. The military has been subject to this for a lot of years, and it seems fair to ask the rule makers to succumb to the same scrutiny.

While there is not a chance in Hades of this every being a possibility, the topic turned to the number of 'failures'.

In the event the whole gamut in DC were to pee in a cup, what percentage would fail?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2925 Times on 1680 Posts
Likes Given: 17348

65%--I'd guess, Do as I say,not as I do !!

Old 11-19-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

All other federal employees are subject to it, why shouldn't they be?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #4

A common exemption in every bill (unless it is a bill to benefit members of Congress) is to exclude Congress from the requirements of the law.

Congress does not have to comply with:

Child labor laws (neither do newspapers - paper routes)
Equal Employment laws
Sexual Harassment laws
Tax laws (there are zillions of exemptions just for Congress critters and Executive Branch employees)
Traffic Laws
Banking laws
and on and on and on.............

Remember "All citizens are equal. Some citizens are more equal than others"

with regards to George Orwell.

Last edited by Northwoods; 11-19-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar

Old 11-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

They wouldn't do badly. You don't have time to do drugs if you're chasing aides and interns.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
In a conversation with co-workers, I proposed drug testing for Congress. Perhaps all of their aides and employees too. The military has been subject to this for a lot of years, and it seems fair to ask the rule makers to succumb to the same scrutiny.

While there is not a chance in Hades of this every being a possibility, the topic turned to the number of 'failures'.

In the event the whole gamut in DC were to pee in a cup, what percentage would fail?
You know I will have to declare ignorance (again). I hadn't even considered this. Thanks for shaking me back to reality, seems the age of the statesman left us long ago.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
They wouldn't do badly. You don't have time to do drugs if you're chasing aides and interns.
Are you kidding me? Blow fuels the intern chasing.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:06 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Northwoods Posted:

Quote:
Congress does not have to comply with:

Child labor laws (neither do newspapers - paper routes)
Equal Employment laws
Sexual Harassment laws
Tax laws (there are zillions of exemptions just for Congress critters and Executive Branch employees)
Traffic Laws
Banking laws
and on and on and on.............
Can you provide additional reference to this statement? For example, how is Congress not complying with Child Labor Laws?

I do know that Congress members will get breaks on traffic tickets. That I don't agree with one bit. I believe they are not too good to get a traffic ticket if they violate a traffic regulation. They certainly have the money to pay the fines.

Congress members do pay taxes, and have been since 1984, so I'm wondering how they are exempt from tax law.

I just need some clarification to understand where you are coming from on this.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fact, you can check this yourself. Congress, the senate, their family, and entire staff can trade stock on any information learned from any hearings or other information gathered from their official or unoffical duties. This is a felony for the rest of us just ask martha stewart and soon to be mark cubin.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:02 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I had to be drug tested to drive a lawnmower (big one, top speed 15 mph) for the city of Anchorage, cops and firemen do not to drive cars and trucks in excess of 100 mph. The test "violates their privacy". I have advocated urinalysis for government officials for 18 years now. Who cares what I think.