Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   computers aaaarrrrgggghhh (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/computers-aaaarrrrgggghhh-93933/)

shadecorp 07-15-2013 06:01 AM

computers aaaarrrrgggghhh

My old laptop died awhile back. :(
Had to buy a new one.
bought this Samsung.
Came with windows "8" :eek:
Don't care much for the computer.
No real problems, just not too happy.
But Really HATE windows "8" :mad:

Any of you folks know if I can dump "8"
and load "7" ??
Without losing everything??"

I hope.

azcowboy94 07-15-2013 06:03 AM

There's a way to make 8 look like 7. Not sure how though.

sputnik1988 07-15-2013 06:14 AM

I am not a fan of windows 8 either. In fact, I hate it so much, I'm buying a Mac

DrFootball 07-15-2013 06:21 AM

That's just why 26 years ago I went to Apple and never left!

(Correction-27 years ago)

winds-of-change 07-15-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azcowboy94 (Post 1304767)
There's a way to make 8 look like 7. Not sure how though.

Yes, there is a way to make 8 look like 7. I don't know how to do it but my son does.

I bought a used laptop that has 8 on it. I don't really have a problem with it. The guy who sold me the computer gave me a 'mini lesson' and the computer does what I want it to do. I love my laptop!

DrumJunkie 07-15-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFootball (Post 1304776)
That's just why 26 years ago I went to Apple and never left!

I see no reason to ever use anything made by apple. But I when I look away from Windoze I look to Linux. The new Os distros are much ore user friendly for the not so tech savvy crowd and I don't have to use Internet Explorer or horrid Safari. Anyone using either I hope you use good security.

You can boot Linux Ubuntu off a flash drive or DVD and not even install the operating system to check it out.

And it will load on a PC or Mac. ;)

Win 8 is made so the tablets, windows cells and desktops/laptops all look and feel the same. It has a desktop but it is a little funky getting to it. I wouldn't want near it after messing with it for a while. I'd buy an unbranded copy of Windows 7 or install Linux and never look back. It's nice not needing to restart so often. My desktop has run non stop for over 2 months and it's just fine:) It's...doing stuff :cool:

stratrider 07-15-2013 08:32 AM

I turned my back on Windows when I bought a new laptop with Vista on it. The thing crashed after a few days. I knew there had to be a better way. I got to doing a little research online ( with someone else's computer of course). I stumbled on to this free Linux operating system that was given away by a man named Mark Shuttlesworth. It's called Ubuntu and man did it rock! Super fast even on older computers and it did not require any anti-virus software. I stayed with Ubuntu for several years. Later I tried Linux Mint, also a very good O.S. Sadly, Ubuntu morphed into something that I didn't quite care for. I don't like the looks of their latest creation. I now use Macs exclusively. A lot more expensive but inherently safer and easy to use than Windows in my opinion. Good luck with that new Windows machine. Who knows, it might turn into a descent machine after Service Pack XX

Doc3402 07-15-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadecorp (Post 1304766)
My old laptop died awhile back. :(
Had to buy a new one.
bought this Samsung.
Came with windows "8" :eek:
Don't care much for the computer.
No real problems, just not too happy.
But Really HATE windows "8" :mad:

Any of you folks know if I can dump "8"
and load "7" ??
Without losing everything??"

I hope.

You set some pretty high requirements, so in a word the answer is no. You could probably migrate backwards to Win 7 if you have an OS disk, but you will lose everything unless you make a manual back-up first. Do not rely on system back-up found in Win 8, It won't do what you need to do. By manual back-up I mean copying everything you want to save to a thumb drive and reinstall it after you have Win 7 in.

There is a way to get what you want while still using Win 8. THIS PROGRAM works fairly well, but it's not the ultimate resolution. If I were you I would just wait for Win 8.1 to be released later this year. Many of your (and everybody else's) complaints should be resolved in that release, and it will be free.

EDIT: For clarity's sake, the "this program" link leads you to an article and a series of tools that can change things to what you want. I didn't know any other way to put it into a link name, so I got lazy. Sorry about that if it caused any confusion.

shadecorp 07-15-2013 07:24 PM

Thanks for the response.
I complained yesterday,
today this computer is fighting back.
Little things.
Cant load some sites
really slow on some things.
Oh well.
Reminds me of the episode on "Twilight Zone"
where the machines revolted against the owner.
And everybody,
Stay Safe Be careful where you go.

Doc3402 07-15-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadecorp (Post 1305196)
Thanks for the response.
I complained yesterday,
today this computer is fighting back.
Little things.
Cant load some sites
really slow on some things.
Oh well.
Reminds me of the episode on "Twilight Zone"
where the machines revolted against the owner.
And everybody,
Stay Safe Be careful where you go.

You didn't nickname your computer HAL 9000, did you?