computer help, anyone?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > computer help, anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7198 Times on 4330 Posts
Likes Given: 8774

Default computer help, anyone?

My son is having a problem trying to set up a router for his laptop. The problem is when his computer tries to identify itself, it connects to the router but goes unidentified. Do you know what he could do to fix this problem? He has the router hooked up to my computer so I guess my computer controls the router.

All this I know only because he is dictating this while I type.

The router is a Cisco Linksys E-1550, son's computer is running Windows Vista SP2. It is a HP Pavilion.

If you need any more information, please ask.

My son has moved back home temporarily and he's trying to get his laptop to work so he could use his computer up in his room rather than using the desktop down in the living room.

Thank you for any replies.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 AM   #2

Liked 1130 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 350

To access the router settings from your computer (the wired connection I am guessing) go to 192.168.1.1 in a browser. If you don't know the UN PW, try admin admin. If that works you should be able to adjust any router settings from there. If he is able to connect but gets a yellowish icon on top of the 5 bars, the first thing I would do is unplug the router for 30 seconds and then plug it back in, beyond that take a look at the settings and see if there is anything that restricts wireless without restricting wired connections, with one exception. For security reasons leave the adminstration options to wired only.

Again this assumes that you have a wired connection to the router and the laptop is wireless. Another thing to try is to connect the laptop with an Ethernet cable to determine the source of the problem(wired or wireless).

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

WOC sorry for not getting back to your PM. I have been busy....

Old 07-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

If wireless, then there may be a WEP, WPA, WPA2 stopping him.

I presume yours is hardwired and he is trying to get wirelessly.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-15-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
WOC sorry for not getting back to your PM. I have been busy....
That's okay, Tango. I was worried I was being a pest and you were hoping I would go away. If the above suggestions don't work, I may be back with more questions for you. Youngest son has temporarily moved back home and he's hoping to get his laptop going so he can hide out in his room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
If wireless, then there may be a WEP, WPA, WPA2 stopping him.

I presume yours is hardwired and he is trying to get wirelessly.
Yes, mine is a desk top hard wired computer. He has the router hooked up to it somehow. I will show him this thread and hope he gets it running. He's frustrated and disappointed he can't get it to work.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Hey, this is WOC's son.

I used the browser application (192.168.1.1) to change settings. The problem seems to be that the computer cannot identify itself to the network. Heck, I even disabled any and all security features (WEP, WPA, MAC Filtering, Firewall, Port Blocking, etc.) in the router and it still won't identify.

The Cisco software has a feature to use a flash drive to connect that contains the SSID, Passkey, etc, and even that doesn't work. (Connects but the laptop remains unidentified and only connects locally.)

Hope this provides more information to help y'all help me.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I'm bumping this. No one has any other ideas?

Old 07-16-2011, 06:51 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I hook up routers all the time with no problem. Does your computer have a name? i.e.mine is deesnuts.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Try going to www.routerlogin.net with your sons computer hooked up via firewire to the router. Also make sure the router is set to broadcast BGN.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #10

Liked 1130 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Have you tried unplugging the router and cablemodem/DSL modem from the wall for 30 seconds. Then plug in the cable/DSL modem first then after about a minute plug in the router.

If you have disabled all security (open wireless network) then try to connect to that with another wireless device. Smartphone or another laptop if you have one available. If other devices also can't connect properly you may have a bad router, it's not to uncommon. If other devices can connect then it's in your laptop. Try to connect to another wireless network, if that works you have verified that your wifi is working and installed correctly. If that does not work you might need to update drivers or check other settings. Where you last lived was it a college? I ask because it's common for colleges to have a "domain" and if your computer is setup to be on a specific domain that might be the issue.
Click Start -control panel - network and internet - network and sharing center - change adapter settings. (I'm using win 7 so it might be slightly different for you) I'm trying to get you to a window that looks something like this only its for wireless not LAN.

Once there highlight the TCPIP V4 option and click properties. Does it say obtain and IP address automatically and obtain DNS automatically? If those options are preset, this is likely your issue. Write down the numbers before changing them so you remember.

Last suggestion of things to try to help with troubleshooting. On your computer click start - accessories - command prompt. At the command prompt type the following without quotes "ipconfig /all" compare these IP addresses listed (for the Wireless adapter) with the ones on your mom's computer. The only one that should be different is the IP, not the gateway or DNS. Also DHCP should most likely say Yes on both computers but it may not. If it's set to NO then you have to give your computer an IP address manually.

These are all just suggestions on things to try to lead you in the right direction, not a guide of step by step ways to fix the problem. If you have any specific questions I'm more than happy to offer help.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson