Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Compass - Map - Map & Compass (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/compass-map-map-compass-40410/)

bgeddes 03-28-2011 02:15 AM

Compass - Map - Map & Compass

Compass - Map - Map & Compass do you know how to use them?

When I refer to a map, I mean a topo map, not a Rand-McNally. Figuring out where I-80 and I-81 meet is not map skill.

Just seems that with the availability of GPS units, folks no longer see a need for compass skills and the ability to utilize a topographic map. I think this is a mistake. Being able to move on without electronic devices could be a life saver.

Certainly lots of folks, especially on this site, were in the Scouts or the military, but how many of us continue to practice the very basics of getting from point A to point B?

JonM 03-28-2011 02:30 AM

i keep em in my boat topo maps are handy for boating. i like em for hunting too. gps devices are da poop for outdoor sports. makes the mind weak and complacent.

i got a gps for getting around cities and driving. but map and compass for boating hunting etc. i use a cammenga tritium compass they are my favorite.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

was introduced to land nav and orienteering in the army and i loved it. its stayed with me as a hobby.

c3shooter 03-28-2011 02:41 AM

Our oldest son had finished his Basic and Advanced tng in the USMC, and was home on leave. We were sitting out on the deck, sharing a beer. He said "Ya know, I feel a bit stupid. I thought EVERYONE'S dad taught them to use a compass and read a map!" I started him at 12 when we were hiking or hunting. When he hit Land Nav, he assumed that was a basic life skill, and maxed the course.

Yes, I use a GPS when driving. It failed me last Tuesday- announced I had arrived at destination. At top of small mountain, when the town I was looking for was still 18 miles North, and in a valley by a river. Still keep a compass attached to my pack, and a smaller one in my pocket.

Navigation truism- "If you should find that the map and the terrain disagree with each other, assume the terrain is correct."

doctherock 03-28-2011 03:37 AM

Compass and map skills are much needed by myself.

Troy Michalik 03-28-2011 06:01 PM

Hell yeah, I love orienteering! Take someone hiking that has no idea about it and they look at you like you've got two heads. And then are totally freakin amazed that you got them where you said you were going to get them.

And don't even bring up declination.
"What do you mean magnetic North isn't true North?" :eek:

ScottA 03-28-2011 06:58 PM

Since the advent of GPS, I've become fairly rusty on my dead reckoning and pilotage skills. But we are still checked regularly on whether or not we can find our way with a plotter, compass, and sectional map (think of topo for the air). But hey... that's why they print the names of towns on water towers in great big letters. And God forbid you are caught without your sectional maps if you lucky enough to get an FAA ramp check.

Hand me a topo map and a compass, and I'm pretty confident I could find my way out of the wilderness. I'd like to have the GPS as well however. :o

c3shooter 03-28-2011 08:19 PM

Scott- Just remember- IFR- I Follow Roads! Knew one gent getting ready for his first (low tech) night cross country flight. Marked the flight legs on his map (fly 185 magnetic until you get to drive-in theater, turn to 089, etc) He used a RED nylon tip pen.

NGIB 03-28-2011 09:37 PM

Us Air Force guys never had to trifle with this low tech crap. Unless you were a pilot, you stayed at the NCO Club while they were flying the mission. If you didn't drink, then the PX or Bowling Alley were acceptable hangouts. The streets were well lit with good signs which aided in basic navigation...:D

notdku 03-28-2011 09:44 PM

It's been sometime, but I think I remember.

Gatekeeper 03-28-2011 09:49 PM

Have basic compass and map skills.
Bought a gps a couple years back and use the units topo map features a lot to get a compass bearing for where I want to get to on the display.
Then I'll use a compass to maintain my bearing until I get to the peak, ridge, saddle or creek I'm heading to.
Need to get a few waterproof maps for my hunting area in case the GPS and extra batteries go TU.