Comments on Wilmington (MA) Gun Show
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Comments on Wilmington (MA) Gun Show

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Comments on Wilmington (MA) Gun Show

I just got back from the Wilmington show, overall it was a disappointment.
The crowd was very light, which is nice for browsing when you're not packed in like sardines, but discouraging for the vendors. I haven't been to a show in about 2 years, but not much has really changed, except the prices. Especially on ammo.
Wilmington at the Shriners is one of the medium size shows. Its been on and off the schedule several times, but with the poor turnout this time, I think it'll probably be off the schedule again next year. Also, I think the date kept a lot of people away because next weekend is Springfield, which is by far the biggest show in New England. I think a lot of people would rather wait a week and go to that one instead, which will have 3 times as much stuff to choose from.
I came back with 80% of the cash I left home with. There really wasn't any bargains to be found. I got a few ammo items, a copy of the new 2008 Gun Digest, some reloading stuff and the obligatory beef jerky
Ammo prices are getting ridiculous. A case of 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 that cost $85 last time was now $185 (+5% sales tax). A box of 500 lead bullets that cost $18 before was now $34. There was no lead shot to be found, but one of the dealers told me that the local price is now $58 for a 25 lb. bag of #8's. The average price of a brick of .22's was about $20. This is just getting silly when a box of .45LC 250 gr. LRN loads looks like a bargain at $21.
However, I did notice that the price of primers and powder didn't go up much, but they don't do you much good unless you have the bullets to with it.......

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2008, 11:52 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
and the obligatory beef jerky
I think the purchase of jerky is required to get into most shows these days!

9x18=Makarov

Old 03-03-2008, 12:32 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

the way show show prices are nowdays the vendors are only hurting thereseves , hell anybody would rather pay few bucks more and get same dam thing new elsewhere

Old 03-03-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
A case of 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 that cost $85 last time was now $185 (+5% sales tax).
That's what has me looking at a WASR10 or an SKS: relatively cheap ammo. $0.30/round for .223 is considered a pretty good price these days, even buying in bulk....

Get it while you can, folks. As expensive as it is today, it isn't going to get any cheaper in the near future.