Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Comments made in the year 1955!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 04:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Comments made in the year 1955!

Comments made in the year 1955!
That's only 53 years ago!

"I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20.00."

"Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2, 000.00 will only buy a used one."

"If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous.

"Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter?"

"If they raise the minimum wage to $1.00, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store."

"When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage."

"Kids today are impossible. Those duck tail hair cuts make it impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know, boys will be wearing their hair as long as the girls."

"I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying DAMN in GONE WITH THE WIND, it seems every new movie has either HELL of DAMN in it."

"I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas ."

"Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the President."

"I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now."

"It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet."

"It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work."

"Marriage doesn't mean a thing any more, those Hollywood stars seem to be getting divorced at the drop of a hat."

"I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business."

"Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to congress."

"The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on."

"There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a weekend, it costs nearly $15.00 a night to stay in a hotel."

"No one can afford to be sick anymore, at $35.00 a day in the hospital it's too rich for my blood."

"If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it."

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Wow, things weren't to bad in the year of my birth...

Old 03-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

My Father found a bill in his Mother's records for his birth. Total hospital cost for his birth in the 40's was $37. We just had a baby and it was $2700.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If they only knew.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used to have the paper work where my geandfather trade in a 1949 Ford pick-up for a new 1955 Chev, pick-up for $ 600 difference, I rember both trucks. I rember cigaretts be 25 cent in vending machines in the early 60`s yet, they were $2 a carton at the filling station, unless you could find them on sale. I graduated for high school in 1964 and then a new Olds. convertable with the big motor and all deck out listed at $ 1,800. In 1955 I was buying spinner baits for bluegill and croppie for 3 cents apiece, and you could buy a chocolate bar for 3 cents.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 03-09-2008, 03:10 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
"If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous.
Yup, that's what they were when I started. Glad I quit, sure couldn't afford them now.