college - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > college

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisko09
If it's not too late, i would recommend changing majors. Here's why: in order to be a police officer, you're not required to have that degree, or any degree for that matter.. in fact, all they do is give you preference points for having a degree. So you could get a business degree and still get preference points to be a cop. And if you dont get the job, u still have a business degree to fall back on. The CJ degree isn't good for anything else. I know a handful of guys who made the mistake of getting a cj degree, and i had an associates in engineering and i got a LEO job and none of them have. They all are either currently unemployed or work at restaraunts.

It may work out differently for you, but I would ask around. Most police dept's will tell you to get a different degree and get your money's worth.

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.
Krisko,
Maybe not where you live, but departments around me will not even LOOK at you without an associates. Unless you're military, and even then, you still need college credits.

OP,
Get a degree in something you can fall back in and use after your LE career is over (if that's what you're pursuing) or as backup in case no LE positions are open.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady00

OP,
Get a degree in something you can fall back in and use after your LE career is over (if that's what you're pursuing) or as backup in case no LE positions are open.
This is exactly what i was saying to do from the beginning. It's not like i said don't get a degree. I simply said that it is not REQUIRED. I'm sure there are some departments that are, but in the whole states of IL, IN and IA i've never heard of one that won't let you test without a degree.

Again, i'd suggest a more broad degree like business, general engineering or psych that applies to many jobs. If you get a more technical degree (cj, drafting, etc) there's only a limited number of applications.

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

im not sure what career choice im goin to make but im not leaning towards a police officer or sherrif, i was thinkin mayb something in us customs or in the wildlife scene like a park ranger or somethin like that. thanks for all the info tho everyone.

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you