college
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > college

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default college

im goin to be startin college in the fall and ill be taking criminal justice as my major. my ? is, is anyone here in the criminal justice feild?

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If it's not too late, i would recommend changing majors. Here's why: in order to be a police officer, you're not required to have that degree, or any degree for that matter.. in fact, all they do is give you preference points for having a degree. So you could get a business degree and still get preference points to be a cop. And if you dont get the job, u still have a business degree to fall back on. The CJ degree isn't good for anything else. I know a handful of guys who made the mistake of getting a cj degree, and i had an associates in engineering and i got a LEO job and none of them have. They all are either currently unemployed or work at restaraunts.

It may work out differently for you, but I would ask around. Most police dept's will tell you to get a different degree and get your money's worth.

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

It's the same at the fire department. You can get a fire science degree. However you still end up doing 5 months of academy. So you don't end up getting anywhere with the degree.

Both are hard to get on. Some people spend years trying out hoping for that lucky break. All the while they are flipping burgers since they have a useless degree.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:19 AM   #4

Exactly. And most police departments will send you to school to get licensed as an EMT after the academy anyways. So like i said.. i'd get something more broad. Business, psychology, sociology, etc.

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #5

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Wow, buzz kill.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-10-2012, 03:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
Wow, buzz kill.
Hahaha yeah i'm not trying to be a negative nancy or anything. I'm just trying to give the best advice i can.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I am a retired US Army Ranger with a masters degree in criminal justice and a doctorate in Homeland Security. I could not use either degree to get a simple, low budget job as an instructor with the Job Corps teaching society's misguided misfits to be security guards.

As a matter of fact, I was not even able to land a job as a minimum wage security guard with the Job Corps to ensure the safety of society's misguided misfits.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 844

Something I know a little bit about.

I have spoken to dozens of students who want to go into law enforcement, and I have them talk to people in the field. I can only remember one instance where the person was recommended to pursue the CJ degree. She wanted to be a parole officer.

In all other cases, they recommended getting a degree in something other than CJ. As one FBI agent put it, "We'll teach you everything you need to know about being an agent. Study something else in college."

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1294 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Switch to Engineering, you can use that degree to get just about any job!

Old 05-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

BS in LE/Police Science from Sam Houston State University. Not necessary to get a job, but getting edumacated is a good thing. I know few people who are "using" their degree. My wife just finished her BA in CJ from Texas State and started her own PI business. The degree can be used in Texas to "challenge" the Peace Officer licening exam (I did many years ago) or get a PI license. Some agencies require at least 60 hours of college. Texas has tried and probably will try again to require a degree to get a Peace Officer license. Nationwide, the move is to increase educational standards for PO's. Until pay goes up substantially, it will continue to fail. Texas no longer accepts GED only students for basic Peace Officer academies. You have to have a High School Diploma or a GED with some college to even enroll.

I say GO FOR IT! It will not hurt you.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball