Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > collections agency question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 04:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Mosin, contact a licensed Attorney or Legal Aid Society. The "Free" advise you a receiving is worth just that much.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8057 Times on 4651 Posts
Likes Given: 10400

Perhaps just call the agency, explain the situation and offer to pay the $190 if they will remove the bad rating they are creating because of it. That would be a whole lot cheaper than retaining an attorney. I doubt one would even consider it for less than a thousand dollars (and that would be cheap! Remember, you get what you pay for.).

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:44 AM   #13

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Mosin check out the Legal Aid Society chapter in your state.

http://www.legal-aid.org/en/probono/volunteerprobono.aspx

http://www.legal-aid.org/en/probono/volunteerprobono/probonoprojects/civilpractice/consumerlaw.aspx

The Consumer Laws regarding debit collection.

Last edited by nitestalker; 02-17-2014 at 04:47 AM.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:47 AM   #14

Liked 333 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 6

the wife had issues with collections not long after we started dating, I didn't know much about it but told her to keep all paperwork she got from any of them. of course after the debt was paid we learned we had more options than we knew we had

she paid one off she knew went into collections & a few months later those scum suckers LVNV Funding sent her a letter saying she owed them the same amount she had paid the other creditor a couple months earlier. she contacted the original debtor plus the collections leeches they sent to her & eventually LVNV gave up & moved on.

contact the original debtor first to see if there's anything that can be done & keep ALL paperwork. if it goes into collections once, you might have 2 or 3 different companies coming after you for the same debt, even after it's paid

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #15

Liked 203 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Clouds on your credit report can be like cockroaches. Squash one and another shows up. Once it goes on the report it can be like a nightmare. You think everything is fine and two years later go to buy a truck and boom, there it is.
Playing the credit score game is one of the reasons I became debt free. Godspeed man, you are going to have to spend some time to work this all out.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #16
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6634 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 13001

Default collections agency question...

The power company is the billing party. Only they could report the default to the credit agencies. Call the power company and negotiate a payoff and demand they remove any reference on your credit profile. They don't profit from harming your credit. They just want what's due.

Download the Credit Karma app. It's free and gives you access to your credit history and FICO score.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 02-17-2014 at 07:45 AM.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1489 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 515

Even threatening letters are a form of harassment. I would report the collections agency just the same. There is enough stress in life without someone dunning you for money you have already paid.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #18

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
The power company is the billing party. Only they could report the default to the credit agencies. Call the power company and negotiate a payoff and demand they remove any reference on your credit profile. They don't profit from harming your credit. They just want what's due.

Download the Credit Karma app. It's free and gives you access to your credit history and FICO score.
First of all, thank you all for the advise.

McCool, this is exactly what I did. I told them when they provide me a written document stating that they will remove credit reporting from my credit, i will make the payment just to be done with it.
I know that I have recourse under the soldiers and sailors act, but I'll start with this and see where it goes from there.

I'm a Dave Ramsey fan myself, but I was just wanting to get the good credit score for a home purchase I'm planning on making in the upcoming year.

Again, Thanks for the help and advise.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 02-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 743 Times on 498 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I would freak out on them because if you want to use your VA home loan you cannot have any delinquent payments for the past 12 months or any collections

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #20

Liked 703 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 1693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
The letter i have says that it was reported to the credit agencies....
What recourse do I have with that?
You are legally entitled to get a free credit report from the big three agencies each year. Get your credit reports, and then file a detailed dispute with the credit agencies. That way you're on record as disputing the issue. That's the starting point to getting it cleared up.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.