Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > collections agency question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

Default collections agency question...

I called the power company (Maine Central Power) before I went to sea, in October. I had moved, and wanted to confirm that I owed them nothing, and that my utility bill was switched to the new tenants. They informed me that I was fine, owed them nothing, and that everything was taken care of on my end. No email, no phone calls...nothing.
I just get home tonight, and see a stack of letters from a collections agency, stating that I owed Central Maine Power $190. And that It has been reported and gone to collections.
Well **** them.
What can I do from here? I don't want this on my credit. I did what I was supposed to do.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 AM   #2

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Call them and see what they are willing to do. If they failed to switch to Tenant billing then they may be flexible. You may have to follow up with the collection agency to ensure that they get notified of the resolution.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Call them and see what they are willing to do. If they failed to switch to Tenant billing then they may be flexible. You may have to follow up with the collection agency to ensure that they get notified of the resolution.
My main concern is this being reported to my credit agencies... if this is resolved, can they remove it from my credit report, or what steps do I need to take to ensure that this does not negatively impact my credit?

I've been busting my ass to build up credit the past year, looking to buy a house, and come home to this ****...i am furious right now.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 02-17-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8044 Times on 4640 Posts
Likes Given: 10380

I am going through a similar thing with my mother's old phone service. I called and shut it off, got the confirmation number, person's name, wrote down the time and day that it all was done. Got a bill two months later saying that they owed her money, I called and read them the confirmation number etc and asked that they send mom a check for the amount, etc..

two months later we get another bill, this time saying she owed them $60-some etc.

This all started two tears ago. it has gone to collections and they are now calling my cell phone. I have sent them copies of all of the documentation, numbers, etc. but I don't think it is cleared up yet.

Basically I am just saying fuk em. Mom won't need her credit rating anyhow.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:58 AM   #5
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6563 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 12850

If it is a third party collector, tell them you did not borrow from them, you owe them nothing, and you do not wish to be contacted by them. If they persist, let me know.

https://www.daveramsey.com/recommends/fair-debt/
http://credit.about.com/od/debtcollection/a/collectionlaw.htm
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0149-debt-collection

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 02-17-2014, 02:30 AM   #6

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1388

The power company charged me for my dead beat renters electrical. They were supposed ot put it in thier name but never did.
And the power company never turned off their electrical despite them being many months behind ( where I live its switched off if i forget it over 60 days).

I had to pai $1800 dollar for my dead beat renters electrical to have the power on in my house when i needed the sump pumps running.
They were only about to turn it off after I had those jack asses finally evicted.
they did multi thousand dollar damage to my house floor too.

I should have evicted them much sooner but the dad got put in jail shortly after they move din and I felt sorry for them when the mom cried on the fone when i told her she was 6 months behind.
In the end when they left they were 11 months behind.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 02-17-2014, 02:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
If it is a third party collector, tell them you did not borrow from them, you owe them nothing, and you do not wish to be contacted by them. If they persist, let me know.

https://www.daveramsey.com/recommends/fair-debt/
http://credit.about.com/od/debtcollection/a/collectionlaw.htm
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0149-debt-collection
The letter i have says that it was reported to the credit agencies....
What recourse do I have with that?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
The letter i have says that it was reported to the credit agencies....
What recourse do I have with that?
That is McCool's point. Did you go to the links he provided?

First one says

"If you are getting threatening and abusive calls or you have collectors harassing you at work or at home, it's time to fight back! Debt collectors routinely violate federal law. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) protects your rights and punishes out-of-control collectors.
*A third-party debt collector is an agency that is NOT the original creditor, lender or company from which you have borrowed money or received a line of credit."

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 02-17-2014, 03:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
That is McCool's point. Did you go to the links he provided?

First one says

"If you are getting threatening and abusive calls or you have collectors harassing you at work or at home, it's time to fight back! Debt collectors routinely violate federal law. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) protects your rights and punishes out-of-control collectors.
*A third-party debt collector is an agency that is NOT the original creditor, lender or company from which you have borrowed money or received a line of credit."

Yeah, I went to the links provided. The agency never contacted me as far as I know. I don't have any messages or emails... I was at sea, and came home to a stack of letters from them.
So they're not violating any of those laws.
as far as I understand, yes, they can report it to a credit agency that I did not pay them...

Old 02-17-2014, 03:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Yeah, I went to the links provided. The agency never contacted me as far as I know. I don't have any messages or emails... I was at sea, and came home to a stack of letters from them.
So they're not violating any of those laws.
as far as I understand, yes, they can report it to a credit agency that I did not pay them...
OK. Sorry about that. I thought they were calling.

Quote: