Cold weather Everyday gloves - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Cold weather Everyday gloves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
December 9th, 2009, Coral Springs FL (FT. Lauderdale);

High Temp (or current temp @ 16:10 hrs) 87.1ºF [eat your hearts out rust belt!]

That ain't nice Cane,, I just came in from plowing and shoveling snow!!! ya 8" today and its freakin cold..

As far as the gloves, I always keep a pair or mechanics wear gloves near by. thin enough to use yer digits but thick enough to keep em warm.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:51 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
December 9th, 2009, Coral Springs FL (FT. Lauderdale);

High Temp (or current temp @ 16:10 hrs) 87.1ºF [eat your hearts out rust belt!]

So what's the "Blue Hair Body Count" down there with all the heat.....:

I have a few pairs of gloves. I hate wearing gloves. If one pair gets wet, I switch to another. If I am shooting I take them off or leave them in the jeep.

OC

"magbum"

Old 12-10-2009, 02:55 AM   #23

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Depends on how cold it is around here and what i have to do. I like a lightweight snug fitting glove for dexterity reasons so i try to use the mechanics line of gloves that can be found at most any hardware/automotive store. If it's too cold or i don't need much finesse i wear a nice pair of Columbia ski gloves.

Although, I think you could pull off the mittens looks Tango. Don't forget the Uggs!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #24

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I keep a cheap pair of stretchy acrilic knit ladies' gloves in one pocket of each of my coats/jackets. That way I'm never without some kind of glove.

For best warmth, use mittens. They keep your fingers together to share heat and have less surface area to lose heat. I've seen fleece hunting mittens that can be peeled open to allow your trigger finger to be exposed when you need it.

Outdoor Research is a popular maker of gloves and mittens for mountaineers. Sierratradingpost.com is a good source for similar products. The best ones are probably the waterproof but breathable Gore-Tex ones.

In general, rugged cloth is more practical than leather ; synthetic fill and fleece are better than wool.

Gauntlet type gloves are best for motorcycling and snowmobiling because they keep the wind from going up your sleeves.

The military has some sort of Extended Cold Weather Clothing System ( ECWCS ) gloves and mittens but I don't know where to find them. I always assume that anything our military buys is good but a veteran of the Korean War once remarked to me, " I can't understand why you buy all that surplus stuff. When I was over there, the only things they issued that we liked were the M-1 Garand and that KaBar knife."

Old 12-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i got some cheap ones from walmart that have the little rubber grip on them. use them for work. they arent heavy but I think they work great. of course my cold weather here is like summer to a lot of people.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #26

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

There are hand warmer tubes worn by hunters. The hunter tucks his hands inside the tube to keep warm but is able to fire instantly with a bare hand.

Generally speaking, you want your gloves or mittens to be snug, so that your hands don't have to heat a lot of air and wind can't get in and out. Of couse they should not be tight enough to impede movement or circulation.

Some people cut off a finger or thumb tip from work gloves to be able to press buttons etc.

If your mittens are not warm enough, you can use chemical hand warmer packets, battery-heated mittens, or thin gloves as mitten liners.

The ideal glove should consist of a rugged, wind-resistant, breathable, water repellant ( or waterproof ) outer shell, down or synthetic fill to insulate and a durable non-absorbant lining such as Polartec fleece.

Your body loses a lot of heat through the hands and wrists, so wearing gloves actually makes your whole body stay warmer....and may prevent arthritis in your old age ( cold seems linked to arthritis ).

Last edited by Rentacop; 12-20-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: more info

Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I seen some decent under armour gloves at dicks but I wasn't about to pay $40 for them.
The thin Under Armor gloves are awesome. Unbelievably warm for how thin they are. No problem operating gps, mobile phone, loading rifle rounds, etc.
Ive had one pair for over 2years now. $40 is too much, I just bought another pair last week at Gander mt. for $25---Gate

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 12-21-2009, 12:05 AM   #28

Likes Given: 2

I have a pair of Marker gloves I got when I was a volunteer for the 2002 Olympics, They look like this, But black.

Google Image Result for http://mirror.altrec.com/images/shop/photos/MKR/27196_m.jpg

They have a thin liner of some sort that helps wick away sweat.
Mine have held up great over the last 7 years.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I buy the full grain cowhide driver gloves,size med, at AIH. (Alaska Industrial Hardware) They're pretty snug so dexterity is pretty good. Can handle long guns just fine in them, they're a little slick for good control on a handgun. I'm in and out of the truck all day so they keep me nicely to about -20. Then i shift to their pile lined version, sz lg. not tight cause i'm looking for warmth. The Lovely Mrs Freefall likes the neoprene gloves they sell, warm, waterproof, little bulk and NOT slippery.