Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Clearing up Bushcraft (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/clearing-up-bushcraft-30335/)

Benning Boy 08-12-2010 03:41 PM

Clearing up Bushcraft
 
I go to work in the middle of the day, and check in here when I get home. I see the other thread continues to explode, but I noted a few misconceptions.

Let me give the brief overview, and hopefully clear this up.

1) No purchase required- Some, mainly newer guys, seem to think we're selling something. We are in negotiations with a couple of companies to get the absolute best and most inexpensive knives available. We were aware that our overseas guys might have some problems, and we're looking into that.

I've contacted some of our overseas guys by PM, and you guys best know the laws and regs of your country.

2) Not a bit- Some, mainly seasoned guys, think this is a bit, and some of you are bordering on nasty with it.

This idea was spawned in an unrelated thread, where guys didn't like their chances of survival if dropped in the woods. Francisco drops into the woods for fun. Perfect match.

Participation is voluntary. No tricks, no gimmicks. Nobody is twisting your arm if you don't want to play.

3) "It's so big!"- Let me share the scope of this. We initially thought that we would maybe get 10 guys aboard on this. We were leery of dumping alot of money into procuring knives that would sit there and do nothing.

This blew up so fast, we've had to re-evaluate everything. New stuff is getting added daily, comments and suggestions are coming in.

It's no exaggeration to say that this is the largest group effort ever done here.

Ask questions...

Benning Boy 08-12-2010 03:45 PM

And no, purchase of a knife is not required. If you have an old faithful friend, take her out and use her to do what she was made for.

Alot of questions about sign up.

I'm going to suggest that we have a thread just for that, and here's why: there is a special benefit in the works for those who complete this. We'll be explaining that in more detail soon.

skullcrusher 08-12-2010 03:50 PM

Are any of these tests going to be abusive to my old friend? I understand this is about one style of knife that can perform in a wide range of uses. If I participate, can I use more than one knife, or is that not following the premise? Is Tannerite involved?:eek:

Benning Boy 08-12-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 330472)
Are any of these tests going to be abusive to my old friend? I understand this is about one style of knife that can perform in a wide range of uses. If I participate, can I use more than one knife, or is that not following the premise? Is Tannerite involved?:eek:

I haven't seen a solitary test. I'm starting out just like everybody else, in the dark as far as what M.C.I. Francisco has hatched.

Knowing him, I can't see him doing ANYTHING that would abuse the knife. If he needed to baton a log, and he thought the knife would be damaged, he'd probably sharpen a baby and use that instead.

Hard use, probably. Abuse? Not him.

NitroxAZ 08-12-2010 04:16 PM

I am shocked that anyone would think it was a bit with you involved:D

On a serious note - Any idea of how much stuff in addition to a knife will be needed for the challenges/tests?

CA357 08-12-2010 04:17 PM

Well, this sounds like the E Ticket ride and I'm still in.

Jo da Plumbr 08-12-2010 04:42 PM

Is this going to be possible for a guy in the middle of Los Angeles?

They were talking about needing hardwood trees. I think it will be frowned upon for me to chop up the trees in the garden department of Home Depot.

And around here we built our temporary shelters under freeway overpasses out of wood pallets and cardboard boxes.

Fires need to be lit in fifty gallon drums, and you better have a bottle of Thunderbird to pass around.:eek:

Benning Boy 08-12-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NitroxAZ (Post 330487)
I am shocked that anyone would think it was a bit with you involved:D

On a serious note - Any idea of how much stuff in addition to a knife will be needed for the challenges/tests?

I have no answer here. I know the tests are supposed to start very simple, and end with some difficulty. C.M.I. Francisco jokingly calls this "playing caveman", so beyond the knife, I'm assuming that anything else will be readily available in wooded areas.

Adaptability will be important here. If you aren't surrounded by appropriate trees, I'm sure allowances will be made.

Benning Boy 08-12-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr (Post 330505)
Is this going to be possible for a guy in the middle of Los Angeles?

They were talking about needing hardwood trees. I think it will be frowned upon for me to chop up the trees in the garden department of Home Depot.

And around here we built our temporary shelters under freeway overpasses out of wood pallets and cardboard boxes.

Fires need to be lit in fifty gallon drums, and you better have a bottle of Thunderbird to pass around.:eek:

This may be harder for you, then. If difficulties arise, say so, and maybe the classmates can help out.

I personally want to see everyone who participates succeed.

Benning Boy 08-12-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 330488)
Well, this sounds like the E Ticket ride and I'm still in.

I think it will be.

A degree of competition is involved here. If he has us make a spoon, I want mine to be a beautiful, manly spoon.:cool:


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:41 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.