Clean Energy vs. Golden Eagle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Clean Energy vs. Golden Eagle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 6 Posts

Default Clean Energy vs. Golden Eagle

And we can't drill because it may harm wildlife?

Clean energy: Clean energy clashes with safety of protected bird species - latimes.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5498 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Just more proof they arent interested in anything other than destroying america and our way of life

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I'm conflicted on this one to be honest.

On the one hand the use of wind power is very effective, clean, and is renewable FOR-EVAH. I happen to work in the power industry currently, so that is a concern.

On the other hand, you are talking about making a species EXTINCT if you don't do something. I'm not for extinct in the terms of something as beautiful, and useful, as an eagle. Now cats, that is a different story altogether.

The blades on a wind turbine in Eastern Washington can spin as fast as 51 miles per hour at the very tip before the limiting controls kick in to keep it from doing damage to itself. The blades are also something like 100-150 feet in length, so we are talking about a serious piece of moving surface that could easily cut a semi truck in half in one swipe.

The downside of wind turbines is that their ideal location are long, flat, grassy areas with little to no obstructions. Great places for birds to hunt as well.

Not only do the blades spin in a clock like rotation, but they rotate on 3 axis as well, so just because it is facing one way today, doesn't mean it will be there again tomorrow. The drafts, upcurrents, downcurrents, etc. are never the same, so the fowls in question really have no way of "learning" to avoid them.

No good solution on this one. Glad I am not involved in any way because I don't know how to vote here.

JD

Old 06-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 6 Posts

I dont think this is an eagle, but an example nontheless....

Old 06-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I dont think this is an eagle, but an example nontheless....

YouTube - ‪Bird vs Wind Turbine‬‏
Thats kind of sad actually......I feel horrible for that bird!

Old 06-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Thats an easy fix. Ti Cages around them painted FLO ORANGE so the birds can see it. Good lord how stupid are these people.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Thats an easy fix. Ti Cages around them painted FLO ORANGE so the birds can see it. Good lord how stupid are these people.
Or put chicken wire type netting between the blades. I would rather, personally, run into a tight knit chicken wire than hit with the jolly green giants war club.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5498 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Good lord how stupid are these people.
they are putting up windmills instead of working on ways to re-use nuke rods and oil exploration... i would say pretty damn dumb.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I couldn't give a warm runny fart for the poor birdies, personally; take one for the team, as the rest of us have so many times, and get us off some fossil fuels to promote continued group breathing.

When i was at the University of Southern Mississippi, home of the "golden eagle" football team of Brett Favre ("now i'm retiring, now i'm a douche") infamy, the student intern whose job it was to feed the actual golden eagle mascot left school and was not replaced. The eagle freakin died in a giant net bird cage on campus, of starvation. Everyone suspected the frat rats had popped it with one BB too many until the autopsy revealed starvation. IIRC, only after this autopsy was it uncovered that the "Lil bunny FooFoo" supply had been cut off for a while.

I LOL'd. I'm sure the LSU fans LOL'd. I'm sure some bunnies did more than LOL. The federal wildlife peeps did NOT LOL.

edit* I wonder, could we teach bears to hanglide?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 06-07-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2719 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 267

This isn't exactly news. They've been calling those things "Condor Cuisinarts" for years. No form of energy is going to be without some form of downside. Clean energy that purees birds. It looked good on paper.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman