Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Classic Country Thread. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/classic-country-thread-92516/)

texaswoodworker 06-19-2013 09:17 AM

Classic Country Thread.

This is my favorite type of music, and about 90% of what I listen too. What's some of your favorite songs from years ago?

Here's a few of mine.

Gatoragn 06-19-2013 10:17 AM

I like both kinds of classic music...

Country & Western. :D

dango 06-19-2013 11:09 AM

Anything by Jonny Cash and some by Hank Jr. ( Long Haired Country Boy and Mamas Don't let yur boys Grow Up to Be Cowboys) ..!

Rock on..! :D

NC1760 06-19-2013 11:21 AM

Mountain music !!!!!

Well... since Patsy & Johnny Cash have already been named...
Being a Southerner, I cut my musical teeth on Bluegrass... and I love this song & while not the original version... It gives a good overview of how influential it has been.... and yes, that IS Steve Martin playing along!!;
...another of my favorites, I never miss a chance to see them live when they come around either!! The BEST bar band of all time!!;
...and of course, Willie;
This song makes me want to move West.... waaaayyyy West.

c3shooter 06-19-2013 12:06 PM

When the Anarchist-in-Training (youngest g'daughter) was a newborn, I would waltz her to sleep with Willie Nelson's Can I Sleep In Your Arms Tonight, Lady.

She told me the other day she loves the song, but has no idea why. :D

NC1760 06-19-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1280636)
When the Anarchist-in-Training (youngest g'daughter) was a newborn, I would waltz her to sleep with Willie Nelson's Can I Sleep In Your Arms Tonight, Lady.

My earliest memory is sitting in my booster chair at the kitchen table and watching my parents slow dance to Patsy Cline's "Crazy" on the radio. BTW... That song was written by Willie, so there's you tie in!!

NC1760 06-19-2013 04:27 PM

Oh man!!... Bummer!!

...Just found out Slim Whitman has died!
Family: Country singer Slim Whitman dies at age 90

June 19, 2013, 10:27 AM EST By TERRY SPENCER , Associated Press

MIAMI (AP) -- Country singer Slim Whitman has died at the age of 90 in Florida.
His son-in-law, Roy Beagle, says Whitman died Wednesday of heart failure.

Whitman's career began in the late 1940s, and his tenor falsetto and ebony mustache and sideburns became global trademarks. They were also an inspiration for countless jokes thanks to the ubiquitous 1980s and 1990s TV commercials that pitched his records.
He was a serious musical influence on early rock. In the British Isles, he was known as a pioneer of country music for popularizing the style there. Whitman also encouraged a teen Elvis Presley when the young singer made his professional debut.

R.I.P. Slim.... This one's for you;

stratrider 06-19-2013 08:12 PM

My parents listened to both kinds of music; country and western :rolleyes: They used to force feed Hee Haw to me. This made me resent and turn my back on country for years. As I got older country started hittin' home pretty hard. The lyrics started making a lot of sense and I learned to appreciate it more and more. This one gets me every time. Miss ya Mr. Jones, R.I.P.
http://youtu.be/BQMI7TksYo0

PanBaccha 06-19-2013 08:44 PM

Kris Kristofferson, Merle Haggard, Tanya Tucker, Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings are what did it for me in the mid-seventies.

trip286 06-19-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1280636)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC1760 (Post 1280642)
My earliest memory is sitting in my booster chair at the kitchen table and watching my parents slow dance to Patsy Cline's "Crazy" on the radio. BTW... That song was written by Willie, so there's you tie in!!

Some of my earliest memories of music, Dwight Yoakam's "little ways", "please please baby", and "I sang Dixie". I remembered these years later, and didn't know who sang them until I was a teen. But I do vividly remember where we were, and the occasion: a redneck party in an open field. I remember that I wasn't yet able to walk well.

My mom used to sing me to sleep with Patsy's "Crazy". IMHO, mama sang it better.