Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Civil war relics shut down university

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default Civil war relics shut down university

Civil War relics shut down university building - CNN.com

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

A bomb squad was called to remove...cannon balls??? The stupid does indeed burn...

Old 08-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Is it Friday yet?

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Umm guys, not all cannonballs are solid. Civil War era cannonballs also had fuses and were filled with black powder. So the bomb squad might not have been such a bad idea after all?

Old 08-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

I think troy is on to something here. But would black powder that is 150+ years old still viable? If it was TNT I could see a reason to freak the hell out.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:38 PM   #5

Liked 886 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 288

If it stays dry I don't think black powder decays or loses potency so I wouldn't mess with it.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #6

Liked 2251 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Explosive/frangible cannon balls were fairly common place by the 1860's. "Could" they be viable? Yes. Not very likely though.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can see why they were concerned, but they called in the bomb squad? "Move every one, we have antiques!" lol
So, are those balls going to get destroyed or what?

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 08-31-2010, 09:48 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

There was an experienced Civil War ordnance collector who blew himself up a year or two ago messing with an "inert" CW cannon ball. Turned out to be not so "inert". He was killed.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-31-2010, 10:27 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The man in the post above was an expert restorer and died when a Confederate ball exploded in his lap as he wire brushed it to clean it. It was a naval round so you can imagine. He was a friend of a treasure hunting site I post on and was pretty well known in that particular circle. The War Between The States had many different types of artillery being used including high explosive and incendiary. If sealed in a 2 inch thick iron casing sealed with a 2 inch brass fuse screwed in place you would be surprised how long the contents will remain dry and exactly as deadly as when they were new. Just depends on the condition of the shell when dug or discovered. Rusted doesnt mean ruined.

Still, if it was on display at a University from a relic hunters collection, chances are it has papers saying it was demilled. If not then it needs to be.

I want to be a ball turret gunner.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #10

Liked 7547 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

In the late 1960s, a civil war ironclad was located in Mobile Bay. Divers brought up the cannon ammo, set it on the dock, and left it. Our EOD unit was sent down. The rounds were placed in revettments, a minature shaped charge placed on each one, and fired. A significant percentage of them had secondary detonations, indicating the powder was still good. That was after soaking in water for over 100 years. Like old men, old ordnance can still be dangerous.

The muzzleloaders used several different rounds, Most commonly shot, shell, and cannister. Cannister is God's own shotgun- lead balls in a thin container. Shot is a solid ball. Shell is a hollow munition, with a bursting charge. Some were quite large- friend found a 13" mortar shell on his property near Petersburg VA (left there by the damnyankees ) That is an explosive round the size of a basketball.

The White House of the Confederacy had used a 4 inch Parrot gun shell (rifled cannon) as a doorstop for years- until someone noted the black dust on the floor behind it. Yep- live shell.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.