Cigarettes - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Cigarettes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 04:51 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmelEduardo View Post
If less people is somking less people will need treatment, but what about the cost of the treatments increasing?.... everyday new drugs for cancer that cost a lot of money because the pharmaceuticals expend a lot of money in research to find those drugs, doctors cost more (because is law of supply and demand. I don't know why the goverment don't subsidize the education to you have more professionals.... studying in a university is too expensive in the U.S as far as I know) and the government don't will (or don't should at least) put their hands in other pockets to cover those expenses but the pocket of the smokers... I think.
I always thought private pharmaceutical companies made drugs. Does the government pay them for research and development as well as for the manufacturing of these treatments?

Old 07-11-2009, 04:51 AM   #22

I smoked for about 13 years. Then one day I strolled into a store and that pack of cigs was a buck! A BUCK? I said to the cashier. I reached over and grabbed a hand full of chewing gum and never purchased another pack. That might have been a little while ago!

The whole tax issue makes me wanna puke! If they are going to tax us for something and then just add it to the general fund for other things unrelated then screw them. That brings up the whole cap and tax issue, do we really want to open this can of worms?

Old 07-11-2009, 04:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKimber View Post
I smoked for about 13 years. Then one day I strolled into a store and that pack of cigs was a buck! A BUCK? I said to the cashier. I reached over and grabbed a hand full of chewing gum and never purchased another pack. That might have been a little while ago!

The whole tax issue makes me wanna puke! If they are going to tax us for something and then just add it to the general fund for other things unrelated then screw them. That brings up the whole cap and tax issue, do we really want to open this can of worms?
That's what I am thinking that they are doing.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:06 AM   #24

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey-you-guys View Post
I always thought private pharmaceutical companies made drugs. Does the government pay them for research and development as well as for the manufacturing of these treatments?
No they just buy the drugs, my point was that every new drug that those pharmaceuticals put in the market are more and more expensive because every day they spend more and more on R&D... so when a new drug comes to the market, the government is the main buyer thru the healthcare system.... I was talking about even if fewer people smoke the cost continues increasing, the cost per patient I meant. So maybe that's why the tax continues increasing to the tobacco.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 07-11-2009, 05:27 AM   #25

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Cigarettes are glamorous, and cool people smoke. It's made from a plant, so it's a "green" habit. It's like a salad for your lungs.

If you look at the old Fear Factor episodes, whenever there was a water challenge, it was always the smoker that won.

Be cool. Buy cigarettes. It's the American thing to do. The Army used to put them in C-Rats, so you know it's okay.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:30 AM   #26

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't call myself a social smoker, but I don't think I'm an addict. I might smoke if I'm stressed and if someone around has a cig handy but I won't track one down, and I do love an occasional cigar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
It's made from a plant, so it's a "green" habit. It's like a salad for your lungs.
I love you for this. I might tell that to someone at work if anyone ever complains about an occasional smoke break.
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 07-11-2009, 06:07 AM   #27

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 767

yes its anyones right to do what ever they want to theyre bodies as long as the gov. says its ok...ha! i have been smoking sense i was 17..not proud or happy about it.(but it does let me hold my breath longer under water..i guess cause i'm use to the lack of oxygen)not 2 guud..i just picked up the bad habbit as i got older...and i do regret it but owell.i dont blame no1 but beer..lol.i have never been to a doctor.and prob want if i can help it...if i need to and have the money at the time..i might..but i dont want to put more debt into our broke system.who cares?...wait our goverment does...b.s. of course they see it as a easy way to make them richer by taxing the little poor men & women..why not? theyre going to do what they want anyways,then say it can go to healthcare reform n crap...okay!so goahead obama and lie some more,hey,your the president,that is in your job description...the tax increase will never stop.i just got one question...will ron paul please stand up with us in the next revolution?

Old 07-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey-you-guys View Post
Actually yes the government, therefore you and I do pay for research and manufacturing of drugs. You probably could have deduced this. If a disease is extremely rare and to costly to produce drugs for without producing profit what incentive for production would a pharmaceutical company have to produce these drugs. These drugs called orphan drugs are therefore give heavy tax incentives to produce. Sometimes when there is no profit to be made we make up the financial risks the companies put into the research and development because they would have never been explored without the government stepping in.

P.S. I missed the point of the thread

But I did notice some guys with some valuable experiences giving you good advice. There is a huge difference between the quality and quantity of life you experience. I hate to preach but you have to be a complete idiot to smoke. You starting a thread should have anticipated the reactions you would have received.

I know it is addicting. Hell I have colleagues that smoke and have published papers on the exact chemical pathways of the pro-carcinogens being bioactived by p450 enzymes and then having there carcinogenic effects and they still smoke.

I would encourage you to look into something called the epi-genome. Your cigarette smoking will cause epigentic switches to turn on and off having effects in your grandchildren. So you think well who cares I am only effecting myself when in truth you are screwing up your entire future gene pool. Good Luck

Old 07-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag
Spoken like a real addict...do you have parents? How about a wife? Kids yet? You may have your own insurance now, but you'll more than likely be using Medicare or whatever program replaces it by the time you're retired, if you live that long...
[quote=Hey-you-guys;127525]What the f--k does that have to do with the government raising taxes on tobacco? You also miss the point of this thread. Everyone knows the health risks, moron. I'm ranting about the eventual job losses this will cause due to unfair taxation of cigarettes.

Nothing - read it again - maybe it will sink in the SECOND time! it was in response to YOUR statement that YOUR smoking doesn't affect anyone else. They obviously didn't teach reading comprehension where you went to school. As far as the "point" of your thread, I don't see any. People who know the risks and continue to smoke are obviously either severely addicted, don't care, or just plain stupid. The same goes for the employee's of big tobacco. If you're in an industry that has no future, if you are smart, you find employment elsewhere! I made that comparison between the oil industry and the tobacco industry, which obviously went over your head.

[QUOTE=Hey-you-guys;127525]So you're saying that people who don't smoke live forever?

Yeah that's what I'm saying... that's a brilliant deduction. Did you make it past the 6th grade their chief? More proof of the dangers of smoking - oxygen deprivation to the brain.

Man you must have been valedictorian in your special ed class. As far as I can remember, you can eat right, exercise, never smoke or drink, and still end up dying anyway.

Good point and GREAT logic. Maybe you can use that logic to convince the insurance companies to lower their rates for smokers...

So in what way has people smoking hurt you?

My tax dollars go to paying for oxygen, inhalers, and doctor visits so geniuses like you can continue to breath, and in most cases, smoke. You obviously have no understanding of how the health care system works in this country.

PS - I already stated that I don't believe in sin taxes or the government telling people how to live. Smoking is a personal choice and should remain as such. Don't confuse my pro-rights stance, however, with condoning stupidity.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-11-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It sucks & get over it; they figured out that straight-up prohibition didn't work so well with liquor & got sneaky for tobacco. This is simply another way to reduce the number of smokers without having as much of a black market as when alcohol was banned by prohibition (18th amendment).

I wish weed was only heavily taxed & restricted from restaurants and such; it would make things much simpler for me.

I did smoke tobacco habitually from the early 1990's until about two years ago when i quit for new years. I had quit for periods as long as a year and a half and started back for one reason or another. Nicotein is a very addictive drug; i have tried many different drugs and have never had trouble putting anything down other than tobacco cigarettes and alcohol (briefly and during a difficult period). I honestly don't think my weed could be any more damaging than cigarettes on the physical side, due to probable smokable amounts differing.

I do not like the restrictions placed on where smokers can smoke, but this infringement on personal choice/freedom for the "greater good" won't be going away.

Last edited by orangello; 07-11-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Newest Threads