Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Church Buy Backs (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/church-buy-backs-3077/)

Righteous 01-20-2008 06:23 PM

Church Buy Backs

do they do that anywhere else besides here? the churches here expect these kids with these AK's and such to turn them in for a lousy 40 or 50 bucks and even less for smaller guns? These kids can sell them on the street for couple hundred dollars if they wanted to get rid of them so all the churches end up buying are a few old single shots that are held together with duct tape.

bkt 01-20-2008 08:31 PM

Sure, we have gun buy-backs all the time, most often sponsored by churches in conjunction with local police departments. Bring in a firearm and you'll get a $50 gift card, no questions asked.

The last haul netted the well-intentioned-but-clueless pastors a couple hundred rusted BB guns and broken, non-firing rifles and shotguns, and maybe a few nearly-worthless, non-functioning old handguns. They got nothing that might be used in the commission of a crime.

(Come to think of it, I have a really old Sears 20ga bolt-action shotgun that's been sitting in my mom's basement for 40+ years that's rusty and pretty near worthless. I think I'll turn it in next time and use the $50 gift card I get to purchase more ammo.)

hillbilly68 01-20-2008 11:41 PM

It just lip service so they can say they are serving the community by doing so. No one in their right mind thinks that "buy backs" work. It is just the church jumping on the bandwagon. Will either have to give full market value or that is just what they will get; useless junk. I wouldn't give up a rusty POS to them for the money on principle alone. I remember seeing news coverage at one a few years ago when these gained popularity. They asked one man what he was going to do with the money. He said "put it towards a better gun". Cracked me up, I was surprised they aired it since it really painted the true picture.

MarkoPo 01-20-2008 11:54 PM

They definately are not taking any "dangerous" weapons off the street. There is no way gang thugs would pawn their Uzzi's for a couple of bucks. What's next, are they going to start buying cocaine, marijuana, crank, and meth to keep it off the street too?

jeepejeep 01-21-2008 04:26 PM

All buy backs are a load of crap. First of all, how do you buy "back" something you never sold in the first place? This makes the whole premise a lie. If any churches in my area decide to sponser this, I'll go to the pastor and ask why they are lying to the people, why are they being dishonest? Is this how a religion is supposed to be? Bunch of jerks!

Zappa 01-26-2008 02:53 AM

I agree, these "Buy Back" scams are useless "liberal feel good" programs that do nothing at all to prevent crime. Mayor Menino of Boston pulls this crap this out of his ass from time to time just to show he's "doing something" to curb violent crime. Yeah, right. So I figured, what the hell, if they want to give me 50 bucks for a worthless piece of junk, I'm game.
I had an old Savage pump shotgun, that was left in a wet case, and forgotten about inside a stored boat for over a year. It was basically a solid piece of rust, not even good for parts. I took it to a Boston area precinct station to turn it in for the money. First of all, it was advertised as "$50 cash for any gun, no questions asked". I stuck it in a duffel bag and went into the police station. I went up to the desk Sargent and unzipped the duffel bag just enough to show him the butt of the shotgun and I asked "can I unload this here?".
What I meant to say was "can I get rid of this here" , but the sargents eyes lit up as he reached for his Glock and he asked "is that loaded?"
I replied "uh, no, sorry, my mistake, bad choice of words. Can I turn this in here for the 50 bucks?" He said yes and sent another officer out into the lobby to get the duffel bag, then he told me to take a seat on the bench and wait.
About 10 minutes later, the second officer came back into the lobby and gave me back my empty duffle bag and an envelope with a VOUCHER for $50, redeemable at a large local area bank.
OK, the "no questions asked" part was right, but the "$50 Cash" part wasn't exactly as advertised. I then went directly to the closest branch of that bank with the voucher. When I went up to a teller to redeem it, she looked at me with a look of horror on her face like I had just handed her a holdup note! She then callled over her supervisor and the supervisor looked at me like I was friggin' Dillinger!
Then I was told to go over to one of the customer service desks and take a seat, someone would be with me shortly. I then observed the supervisor talking with two other bank employees and scrutnizing the voucher.
A few minutes later, one of the VP's came over and told me that I couldn't cash the voucher at that branch and I'd have to go to the main office in Downtown Boston. Great. Just where I wanted to go on a Friday afternoon. NOT!
Anyway, I waited until the following week when it was more convienient for me to go into downtown. I went to the bank as directed and this time I didn't even bother with a teller. I went to a customer service rep and explained what I was there for. She told me to take a seat and someone else would be out to see me in a few minutes. OK, I waited a few minutes and sure enough a lady came over to me with $50 in her hand, but before she handed it over, she asked me for my ID and wanted me to sign a receipt! I refused!
Not that I had done anything wrong, because the shotgun was my legal property to begin with, and I was fully licensed to possess it, but the program was supposed to be "$50 Cash, No Questions Asked". It wasn't already shady enough with the voucher crap, but they also had me on camera in the police station and in two banks. What a load of crap! I told her that I wouldn't comply with her request and I would like my voucher back instead, so I could show it to the local news media, and give them my story of what a crock of **** this "buyback" program is. She then changed her tune pretty quick and just handed over the cash. I said "thank you" and left the bank quietly.
"Gun Buybacks" what a friggin' joke.......................

Righteous 01-26-2008 01:52 PM

I would have gave up soon as cops said have a seat, I aint waiting on nothing

pioneer461 01-29-2008 10:59 PM

Salem Oregon (state capitol) has "buy backs" every year, in a public place. A couple of years ago a local gun rights group set up a table nearby, offering to pay more for the guns and thus keeping them in circulation and rescuing any valuable guns that may show up from granddad's collection. Everything was legal. The local police ordered them to move, or be arrested for trespassing. Trespassing in a public place? It got rather heated, and the good guys decided not to push it and spend a night in jail. :mad:

Portland has them often, sponsored by "Operation Ceasefire Oregon," staffed by the usual anti-freedom suspects, chief among them an emergency room physician who exagerates the number of gunshot wounds she sees. She doesn't tell anyone that some of the gunshot wound patients were shot by the police, nor does she "recall" the number of knife, or blunt trauma patients.

How can they buy something back they have never owned or sold?

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...74_1738066.jpg