Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Chronic wasting disease in deers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Chronic wasting disease in deers?

I was just reading some hunting stories, and this one guy shot a deer in illinois with CWD. Basically it's a mad cow disease of the deer family. Have you encountered a deer yourself with CWD?

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #2

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94browninghunt
I was just reading some hunting stories, and this one guy shot a deer in illinois with CWD. Basically it's a mad cow disease of the deer family. Have you encountered a deer yourself with CWD?

Not sure if it was this. Friend shot one, we went to skin it out.....the meat was greenish and really soft. From the hind quarters where it was at its worst, to the shoulders where it was minor. No idea.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

from wikipedia: "...decreased interactions with other animals, listlessness, lowering of the head, blank facial expression, repetitive walking in set patterns, and a smell like meat starting to rot. In elk, behavioral changes may also include hyperexcitability and nervousness. Affected animals continue to eat grain but may show decreased interest in hay. Excessive salivation and grinding of the teeth also are observed. Most deer show increased drinking and urination."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #4

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The meat did smell rotten.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I hate to see something get shot and wasted but sounds like you did this one a favor and ended long term suffering. Let the coyotes eat it and hopefully catch it.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #6

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Chronic wasting disease is real and will most likely eventually cause a large drop in ungulate populations in the US. It is spreading rapidly and no one really has much understanding of this disease. A friend shot a diseased mule deer in northwest Wyoming last fall.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hence i'm worried especially this season, since i hunt a lot in IL, and eat all my meat! I'll have to find a place that i can get the meat tested.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #8

Liked 1090 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94browninghunt View Post
from wikipedia: "...decreased interactions with other animals, listlessness, lowering of the head, blank facial expression, repetitive walking in set patterns, and a smell like meat starting to rot. In elk, behavioral changes may also include hyperexcitability and nervousness. Affected animals continue to eat grain but may show decreased interest in hay. Excessive salivation and grinding of the teeth also are observed. Most deer show increased drinking and urination."

DAMN, from those symptoms, I think I may have it.

And, I just thought I was getting old.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan