A Christmas tail !
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

A Christmas tail !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6282 Times on 3291 Posts
Likes Given: 28642

Default A Christmas tail !

I was on the road and working around Alabama . I'd bought this 1963 Chey Impala of a mechanic . The car ran great .

We had two weeks off for Christmas and decided to go home , it had been three years since I last visited home .

Get my things together , and spent that night in my motel room . It went down to 18 degrees that night . No anti-freeze , Eeeeeek ! Everything froze solid a friend had a heated garage and let me thaw it out everything seemed ok , no noticeable damage . Being me , I had a collection of odds -n- ends with me .
Sleeping bag , warm cloths , some basic tools and a roll of 500 ft. Roll of 12 gage wire I found in a dumpsters in those days , I smoked a little weed so I'd bought a bag of alligator clips , you know , roach clips .

I hit the inter state north to home . About 15 miles up the road , (poof) smoke pouring out from under the dash . No power , nothing , no lights , ignition , nothing . My heater burst , water every where , again , Eeeek..! Everything under the dash fried !
Got out the wire , wired everything I needed , lights , ignition , everything needed to get my butt home . Back in those days , cars were very easy to wire , nothing more than what needed to make it go + I used to make custom harnesses for Harley's in those days so it was easy to wire . Wires and clips hanging every where , LOL.....
I had to cut the hose to the heater to keep from losing water . NO HEAT , NO DEFROST . EeeeeeK !
I bought spay can de-icer , wrapped in my sleeping bag and drove 1300 miles ! It was about 15 degrees all the way home !!!

I made it , dressed in my cold weather cloths , gloves and many a spray can later , HOME .......!

Ho Ho Hom, I made it !

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2015, 01:19 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1630 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 2478

Now that's an adventure!

I hope you fixed up the Impala, those were sharp cars.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.
dango Likes This 
Old 12-19-2015, 03:06 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1944 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

Dango, Reminded me of a trip many years ago in my youth. I hired out during X-Mas Break to ferry a road tractor from Tenseness to Southern Indiana.
We flew into some dirt strip S.E. of Knoxville. The Old Freight Liner was Cummins powered and sounded OK. I was caught in winter storm on the Ky. Border. The heater shut down and the damn thing iced up. I was promised the old rig was road worthy. I called a friend up in Louisville, Ky to fly his old Cardinal down and pick me up. The company paid me extra for the problem so all ended OK.
dango Likes This 
Old 12-19-2015, 03:13 AM   #4

Liked 594 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ears!

I'd be helpless in that predicament - NO mechanical knowledge.
dango Likes This 
Old 12-19-2015, 04:29 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1662 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 1661

Great story, Dango! What a trip. Amazing the block didn't crack.

I love 1963 Chevys, one of the best looking Chevrolets of all time. Junior Johnson's "mystery engine" was the strongest in NASCAR 1963, too bad GM dried up the racing parts.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
dango Likes This 
Old 12-19-2015, 05:56 AM   #6
Forum Chaplain

Liked 1525 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 1395

That was when you could open the hood and look in and SEE every wire and hose by just moving your head and body, 12 volt DC the regulator on the firewall, NO COMPUTER,
OH YEAH you also had to remove the breather to see the carb and fuel pump.
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17
dango Likes This 
Old 12-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #7

Liked 594 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Dango, BTW, the way you spelled "Tale," I was expecting a post about you getting some Christmas tail.

dango Likes This 
Old 12-19-2015, 04:51 PM   #8

Liked 188 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota1 View Post
Dango, BTW, the way you spelled "Tale," I was expecting a post about you getting some Christmas tail.

Yea, me too; Lobster tail and beer, 3 of my favorite things.
dango Likes This 
Old 12-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #9

Liked 460 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota1 View Post

I got some Christmas tail a few years ago. I was a early Christmas morning, her name was Rhonda and....
Old 12-19-2015, 05:56 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 6282 Times on 3291 Posts
Likes Given: 28642

Ack.....! Grammatical purists , but hey , not bad for my third grade educatin !