choosing a smart phone - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

choosing a smart phone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #71
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8244 Times on 4247 Posts
Likes Given: 9491

I like my 5s alright even though Im generally a PC guy. The line is drawn for me because its a phone not a computer. Also, be careful adding apps, if your not sure you need it, dont add it! The least problems are battery draining quicker and slower response, the worst is your phone/ tablet can die an early death. Unless you pay insurance and a service agreement, your phone will be out of warranty quick enough and if your still locked into a plan, you will pay big buck to replace it.

Also, try to cycle your phone charge wise dont just keep it charging all the time, thats a battery killer. A phone that doesnt go low on battery power before recharge or doesnt get fully recharged before you pull the charger wont last nearly as long and you cant just change a battery like a flip phone, they are internal and require a technician to even open the case up. Power cycling your phone and computers occasionally will also help keep them alive longer and run apps/ programs quicker.

Phone finder is another app one might add/ activate, without it you need a network weenie and your MAC address to find it and that may not happen if its on a secure network! I used it last year to find my IPAD when I left it in a classroom I was working on, one click and there it was!

One last trick, lock your screen dont just have it open for anyone to access! They are small and we tend to lose small things, if its not locked the new owner will have access to everything on that phone and more. Your bank accounts, your email, your identity as a whole can be easily grabbed from just a few clicks. Some lockdown apps even give you the option to erase the data and or kill the phone if anyone tries to gain unauthorized access (four wrong entries in a set time period.

I have an I-pad as well but it really doesnt get the use my phone or laptop get, it does most things like a computer or phone but not so well as either (does save my eyesight). Once youve got a "smart phone", you prolly wont ever be without one.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #72

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Why do you need a FTF app for the I phone? I just opened Safari on mine, and it came right up....small, but you can make it bigger.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #73
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8930 Times on 5343 Posts
Likes Given: 11931

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
I like my 5s alright even though Im generally a PC guy. The line is drawn for me because its a phone not a computer. Also, be careful adding apps, if your not sure you need it, dont add it! The least problems are battery draining quicker and slower response, the worst is your phone/ tablet can die an early death. Unless you pay insurance and a service agreement, your phone will be out of warranty quick enough and if your still locked into a plan, you will pay big buck to replace it.

Also, try to cycle your phone charge wise dont just keep it charging all the time, thats a battery killer. A phone that doesnt go low on battery power before recharge or doesnt get fully recharged before you pull the charger wont last nearly as long and you cant just change a battery like a flip phone, they are internal and require a technician to even open the case up. Power cycling your phone and computers occasionally will also help keep them alive longer and run apps/ programs quicker.

Phone finder is another app one might add/ activate, without it you need a network weenie and your MAC address to find it and that may not happen if its on a secure network! I used it last year to find my IPAD when I left it in a classroom I was working on, one click and there it was!

One last trick, lock your screen dont just have it open for anyone to access! They are small and we tend to lose small things, if its not locked the new owner will have access to everything on that phone and more. Your bank accounts, your email, your identity as a whole can be easily grabbed from just a few clicks. Some lockdown apps even give you the option to erase the data and or kill the phone if anyone tries to gain unauthorized access (four wrong entries in a set time period.

I have an I-pad as well but it really doesnt get the use my phone or laptop get, it does most things like a computer or phone but not so well as either (does save my eyesight). Once youve got a "smart phone", you prolly wont ever be without one.
I did set it up that the screen has a password before you can use the phone. I know all that you mentioned about the battery. I do the same for my laptops. I did see the 'find the phone' app but didn't load it. I will, though. But I wouldn't know how to use it anyway. I also saw the app (I think it was an app) that the phone erases everything after so man wrong attempts to enter the phone.

The size of items on the screen is a big problem for me. I can't figure out how to enlarge the print. In some cases I've noticed I can enlarge what is on the screen by spreading it open with my fingers but that doesn't work in all cases. I also can't figure out how to delete my texts.

I hate learning a new electronic. I like the comfort of knowing what I'm doing. I'll get there. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Why do you need a FTF app for the I phone? I just opened Safari on mine, and it came right up....small, but you can make it bigger.
Good point. I might delete the FTF app, then. Thanks for the tip.
dango Likes This 
Old 05-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #74

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

We have gotten rid of the house phone but still have the line for dsl internet only which is a PITA because it reminds me of slow dial up service from when I was a kid, but we don't have cable, we do have a wifi box with our dsl which is nice. I have a droid max just got it for xmas, I like the big screen, that is why I stay clear of Iphones I can't stand that little screen.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #75
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default choosing a smart phone

Any Apple App is Cleared for use when it's posted in the App Store. Third party Apps,..not so much. The Find Phone App is An Apple Product. Very easy to use, but you need a second device or a computer to make it work 100%. If I forget where i left the phone in the house I just use the Wife's Phone to call mine and listen for my ringtone. I usually leave it in a pocket somewhere.....
I use the notepad to make extensive lists, but there are Apps that do that was well. You can tie notepad lists to your calendar app. one App that I can't live without is AppBoxPro! It comes with several "mini"apps, and google compatibility. I'm not that much into Games on my phone, they are a distraction from getting things done. but I do have some. One I like is "10 pin Shuffle" a mix of Shuffleboard, bowling, and Poker...Mostly I read Books, Magazines(half the $ of buying them on the newsstand). if you want to learn more about your device, Mac Life Magazine & their sister mag App Life are both online, as is British Publication Mac Format. The Giant in the industry is MAC World/Pc World. A few other Apps I find useful: Bento is a Data Base App Based on Apple's Bento Mac SW. It's a "File Maker Pro" lite Version. If you do a lot with data, it's worth finding, even though it's no longer being sold as new....Franklin Covey(if you believe in the GTD process) makes two apps that bakes the place of their paper planner products, and even prints out pages from your Apple Calendar app., or it's own pages to place in your own binder. they also have an App version of "7" Habits. This Book got me through many stressful situations in the past. You can also Get a Free Dictionary and "freesaurus" as well..
There are also many resources for Pet Owners,. like Pets First Aid, pet diary, and my fave, All about Bulldogs...

If your a Triple A member, they have some apps as well. Also Trip Advisor has a few, including their "city guides"...
Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 05-20-2014 at 07:42 PM.
dango Likes This 
Old 05-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #76
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4555 Times on 2519 Posts
Likes Given: 23089

Not much help on smart phones . Fingers to clumsy , eyes not the greatest , but I'm pretty good with a stupid phone !

Old 05-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1614 Times on 1093 Posts
Likes Given: 1750

Yes this is SARCASM, but I love you all anyway !...................
cellphonesarcasm.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #78

Liked 1322 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 576

Get a Samsung Rugby or stick with two cans and string.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #79
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Very cute. Wife Says I'm On FTF too much. I told her for every minute that she does not watch ridiculous reality TV talent Competitions, or read a book on her iPad I will stay off here the same amt. Of time . We agreed not to touch our phones or Tablets during meals anymore .

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...