choosing a smart phone
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > choosing a smart phone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7100 Times on 4273 Posts
Likes Given: 8607

Default choosing a smart phone

I'm thinking of finally upgrading my "dumb phone" to a smart phone. Droid, Galaxy, iPhone? How do you choose? I don't want one that's too big or too thick. What does one do that the other can't? Give me your opinions on what you like and don't like on your smart phone and what your suggestions would be to me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

IPhones are easy to use but they limit what you can do. Androids are a much more open platform but not quite as easy to use.
Everything windows just sucks.
I'm 100% android.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Yunus Likes This 
Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #3

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

I've got a samsung galaxy s3. I like it. My wife has an iphone and i hate it. I would highly recommend an android phone.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1709 Times on 741 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I'm thinking of finally upgrading my "dumb phone" to a smart phone. Droid, Galaxy, iPhone? How do you choose? I don't want one that's too big or too thick. What does one do that the other can't? Give me your opinions on what you like and don't like on your smart phone and what your suggestions would be to me.
When I got my first smart phone you had a choice of Blackberry or nothing. I liked my Blackberry. Many choices now. I have an Iphone now but not much of an Iphone fanboy. I think they are a little more user friendly than the Droid but I will probably try a Droid next. I will say this about my Iphone. it's tough. Mine has been run over by a forklift and a Ford Ranger and other than a cracked screen from the forklift is still working.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1884 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 2123

Default Never knew.............

My smart phone, it tells me when I should never answer the phone. { caller ID}

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 10-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My smart phone tracks my location and watches and listens to me talk trash about Obama.

orangello Likes This 
Old 10-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #7

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
The choice is really Android vs Apple. Are you already vested in one or the other? Do you have a tablet or music player such as an Ipod, if so keep your ecosystem the same. Otherwise its personal preference, Apple is a little simpler and has more accesories available but you will pay a premium for them. Android is really just as simple but each device is slightly different and you won't find as many guides for each device.

If you choose an Iphone you MUST install Itunes on your computer in order to do many media related things with your phone, like copy music to it. I loath Itunes, on my android I just plug in my phone using the standard USB cable and copy the files over.

If you choose Android, go to the store and find a size phone that fits, make sure it's current generation and buy it. I recommend Samsung or HTC prodcuts, avoid Pantech.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 10-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'll second the avoid pantech.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Actually iPhones come free with a contract now with sprint verizon and AT&T And with cloud you don't need iTunes at all. You can back everything up to cloud automatically without having to worry about plugging it in to your computer every time you want to sync it. You set it up once, the phone does the rest automatically when you plug it in at night.

There's a reason 116,400,000 people chose the iPhone this year over its competition. And no that's not a typo, 116.4 MILLION people worldwide.

Get an iPhone. The guy in the apple store can show you everything you need to know about it in half an hour or less. You'll be fighting an android for at least a year. We told my mother in law the same thing 4 years ago. She listened to the sales guy at AT&T. And now she has to go see him at least once every 3 months and get him to wipe her android clean redo her contacts and redownload her apps because something screwed up. AGAIN. And she's been through 5 of them.

Dad's first iPhone though.... 5 years later Little sister now uses it for an iPod. And it still hasn't had a problem.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-24-2013 at 02:58 PM.
rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 10-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #10

Liked 45 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Don't!!

Some carriers up charge to have a smart phone. Unless you're on the web or texting all day every day keep your dumb phone.

There are a lot more reasons to but here isn't the place for that.