You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

The Chili Recipe Thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #21
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2482 Times on 1330 Posts
Likes Given: 879

You have recipes for making chili????

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #22
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10560 Times on 6296 Posts
Likes Given: 15590

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Chili here in the U.S. Is a deviation from the Mex.............The Red sauce comes not from the tomato but a combination of red chili peppers cooked and smoked in various ways, then run thru the mill. Youse ever heard of a green chili.............I think it was the Americans that added the tomato sauce..................The last big batch of chili I made with deer meat at a X mas party went before all the other food that was brought..........When you see someone with french bread wiping the pot clean, you know it's good.........No grape jelly or sugar..................
You would love my chili. I guarantee it.

And String.........mushrooms and a packaged chili seasoning? Blasphemy!!
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 700 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 223

My chili is a little different every time I make it,,, sometimes I make chili and beans,, pintos preferred, the wife likes kidney beans and black beans. I use ground meat for chili and beans, but when I make chili,, as I was instructed when I lived in Odessa Texas,, I cut beef and pork into short strips about 1 inch by 1/2 inch,,, at least 3 or 4 pounds,, more like 5lbs, brown it up, place in a big pot, add about 1/2 pound of chorizo sausage, jalapenos, red and green chili peppers, onion, salt, chili powder, some water,, varies with the meat used depending on how lean it may be,, and start cooking it down for several hours slowly, I'm sure it's not a real authentic recipe, but it's not bad with tortillas or thick sliced bread or placed over Spanish rice.
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #24

Liked 1858 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
You have recipes for making chili????
That is why I stated, you won`t get the recipe, but if somebody wants it I write down the there abouts !................

Old 03-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1464 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
And String.........mushrooms and a packaged chili seasoning? Blasphemy!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
from someone that puts cocoa powder in her chili. What do you put on top of the chili? Grated cheese or whipped cream?

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Oh String, say it ain't so.......

As soon as you added 'shrooms you wandered into the realm of .......spaghetti sauce......surely you ain't gonna try an tell me that a chuckwagon cook worth his salt would even consider dirtyin' his pot with mushrooms! Don't get me wrong, I'm a shroom loving fool, BUT NOT IN CHILI.

A chile/chili scholar will tell you that there are 2 separate and distinct types of chile/chili.
A. Chile con carne = a meat sauce (gravy if you will) that is poured over various dishes like enchiladas or tamales. While I am a fan of said dishes with the accompanying garnishes, that is not what we Americans have come to know as "chili".
B. Chili is a main course dish that undoubtably derived from the terribly bad boiled beef concoctions of our European ancestors who just boiled everything they had into mush and then slopped it on a plate. In the spirit of freedom loving men and women who settled America (apologies to the Native Americans) we began to use the various spices, roots, herbs and such as we could find in the New World. What evolved is a dish with infinite variations of ingredients, cooking methods, and ONLY ONE RULE: There ain't NO BEANS IN CHILI.............

She let 4 brave Men die in Benghazi....and now she wants to be President. Are you that freakin stupid America???
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1464 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44-40pro View Post
As soon as you added 'shrooms you wandered into the realm of .......spaghetti sauce......surely you ain't gonna try an tell me that a chuckwagon cook worth his salt would even consider dirtyin' his pot with mushrooms! Don't get me wrong, I'm a shroom loving fool, BUT NOT IN CHILI.
That may be so. If that chuckwagon cook had gone out and inspected some of those cow patties left behind the herd he would have more than likely found mushrooms that would have spiced up his pot of mush. He would just have to be careful cause some of those mushrooms found on the range would have made his cowhands see in plaid. Some people even say their magic mushrooms. My chuckwagon uses Baby Bella's thank you very much.

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2338 Times on 1303 Posts
Likes Given: 6781

I'll be open and vulnerable. . . . I love Wendy's Chili.
It might not be authentic and may not pass the Discovery TV test, but I still love it.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1933 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Yankees, cowboyze and rednecks................

Iffn they had a good cook on that chuck wagon, he would have won those cattle rustlers over by adding mushrooms to that beat it with a stick till its tender beef. You ever et a frog, lol..............When all the meat is gone I want you all to say I don't mushrooms..........It's all in the preperation...........

Old 03-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #30
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10560 Times on 6296 Posts
Likes Given: 15590

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
from someone that puts cocoa powder in her chili. What do you put on top of the chili? Grated cheese or whipped cream?
My chili is so good you don't put ANYTHING on top of it.

As for the unsweetened cocoa powder, only about a tablespoon per two pounds of meat.

Mexican Mole sauce is a spicy sauce made with chocolate. It's not something new!!

http://www.ehow.com/about_5459570_add-cocoa-powder-chili.html