The Chili Recipe Thread! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

The Chili Recipe Thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 02:00 AM   #11
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8913 Times on 5331 Posts
Likes Given: 11917

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
If its got beans its not chili.

You can put anything in there including rusty lugnuts, but if its got beans its not chili.

The Chili Recipe Thread! - The Club House

If you go to the great texas chili cookoff you get automatic disqualified for beans and likely arrested for crimes against humanity.
I believe that is true. But I'm not entering a chili cook off in Texas. I'm just making a delicious batch of 'chili' for me to eat for a few days. And I put two kinds of beans in mine. White and black beans for taste, fiber and color contrast. I guarantee you would like my chili. Come over for dinner some night, Jon? If you feel so inclined, you can pick the beans out and throw them in my bowl of chili. LOL
303tom Likes This 
Old 03-21-2014, 03:10 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Over the boarder................

Texas chili, no tomato sauce or paste, and NO BEANS..................Mey I like kidney and black beans, also a whole hand full of black olives..........I use masa as a thickener. Don't for get the cummin...........

Old 03-21-2014, 03:37 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:

You can put anything in there including rusty lugnuts, but if its got beans its not chili.

If you go to the great texas chili cookoff you get automatic disqualified for beans and likely arrested for crimes against humanity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
What does someone from Wisconsin know about chili! That's as bad as NYC.

Beans, yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I believe that is true. But I'm not entering a chili cook off in Texas. I'm just making a delicious batch of 'chili' for me to eat for a few days. And I put two kinds of beans in mine. White and black beans for taste, fiber and color contrast. I guarantee you would like my chili. Come over for dinner some night, Jon? If you feel so inclined, you can pick the beans out and throw them in my bowl of chili. LOL
JonM is right. i looked and none of the recognized chili judging associations allowed beans or any type of pasta in competition chili. it's not a Texas chili cook-off thing.

Quenton, in defence of JonM, he has learned to recognize the Wolf brand chili on the shelf with no beans!

JonM, we Texans have gotten a little lax about the chili with beans rule. we have learned to be more efficient by combining the two!
Quentin Likes This 
Old 03-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #14

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Quote:
try increasing the amount of brown sugar or adding in some molasses, and try some adding in some fresh diced tomatoes.
Ahh, yes, I bet molasses would be good. Have to be careful, though, I don't want it ending up too sweet.

Quote:
I put beer in my chili.
Right, I have had beer chili, it is most excellent, even though I don't like to drink beer. But I haven't figured out how to get it in there and make it taste good. What kind of beer do you use?

I did forget to put the beans in my recipe. I use 1 can of red kidney, and 1 can of pinto. I'm not sure what the big thing is against beans, but, IMHO, it's not chilli unless it has beans, red(isn) meat, and tomatoes.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #15

Liked 3487 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 5398

Quote:

If there are no beans....its NOT chili...its called coney sauce.
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default To much acid................

A true chili has no tomato, If you use tomato you get all the acid from the tomato, My little buddy uses grape jelly to counter this, why grape jelly, hell I don't know but thats what he uses. Meat wise I like half ground of deer, pork, beef. Then cube the other half............I'll use a heck of a lot of black olives.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #17

Liked 3487 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 5398

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
A true chili has no tomato, If you use tomato you get all the acid from the tomato, My little buddy uses grape jelly to counter this, why grape jelly, hell I don't know but thats what he uses. Meat wise I like half ground of deer, pork, beef. Then cube the other half............I'll use a heck of a lot of black olives.
That sounds good..I'm going to try the black olives next time..

Old 03-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #18
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8913 Times on 5331 Posts
Likes Given: 11917

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Ahh, yes, I bet molasses would be good. Have to be careful, though, I don't want it ending up too sweet.
Start with just a little then add to taste. You can always add a little more but once you put too much in, you can't fix that. I use brown sugar. That sweetens it a little bit and gives a nice spicy sweet flavour. The chocolate takes some of the sting out of the heat but leaves in all the flavour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Right, I have had beer chili, it is most excellent, even though I don't like to drink beer. But I haven't figured out how to get it in there and make it taste good. What kind of beer do you use?
I put in diced tomatoes then I add a can of tomato paste. At that point it's too thick and I use beer instead of water to get some liquid in it. I use any beer I have on hand but the darker the beer, the better the flavour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
How can you make chili with no tomato? I have made bbq meatballs with grape jelly. It does the same thing as the brown sugar I add. Sweetens it up a little for a spciy sweet flavour.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Ok some of you are going to make fun of my Chili and thats fine (jelly and chocolate. GOOD GRIEF ). This is my piece of dirt, my house, my kitchen and my crockpot and my CHILI.

3 lbs. of ground beef browned and drained
8 oz. fresh mushrooms sliced
2 cans red kidney beans drained
1 16 oz. can tomato sauce
1 16 oz. can peeled tomatos crushed (fresh in season)
6 Jalapeno peppers seeded and chopped (use latex gloves)
1 envelope of chili mix
2 large onions chopped
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. crushed red pepper
2-3 tsp. salt
2-3 tsp.garlic powder
2-3 tsp. cumin

Dump everything in a crockpot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours and serve with fresh buttered bread. The frozen loafs in the store are fine. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Not Mexican........................

Chili here in the U.S. Is a deviation from the Mex.............The Red sauce comes not from the tomato but a combination of red chili peppers cooked and smoked in various ways, then run thru the mill. Youse ever heard of a green chili.............I think it was the Americans that added the tomato sauce..................The last big batch of chili I made with deer meat at a X mas party went before all the other food that was brought..........When you see someone with french bread wiping the pot clean, you know it's good.........No grape jelly or sugar..................