The Chili Recipe Thread!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Chili Recipe Thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21504 Times on 12208 Posts
Likes Given: 53546

Default The Chili Recipe Thread!

a few of us were discussing chili in the "What's Up For Dinner" thread and figured it deserved it's own dedicated thread.

making chili is one of my cooking passions right up there with smoking and grilling. i get very involved with my chili making! i will spend about 4-6 hours in the kitchen making a batch of my homemade chili.

this thread is for recipes, ideas, suggestions and tips. along with trivia and neat facts that you may have about chili.

so let's talk about making chili!

Quentin Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #2

Liked 307 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 64

It takes me two days to make a batch of chili.

:fake Texas drawl:
This here is my Two Meat Atomic One Second Slum Clearance Chili:

I make BIG batches of food since I am usually feeding 10+ people at a time.

I start with two big Bottom Roasts and toss them in a crock pot with chopped onions and fresh minced garlic.

Next I take a big package of boneless skinless chicken breast and give them the same treatment as the beef.

I put the meat in the evening before I want to serve the chili.

Once the meat is nearly done (next day) to start with I put in 2 cans of each of black beans, dark red kidney beans, light red kidney beans, pinto beans and chili beans.

Then I drop in 3 big cans to tomato sauce 2 small cans of tomato paste and 5 fresh tomatoes that I prep by smashing them with a meat tenderizer, mixing the smashed tomatoes diced peppers (red, yellow and green) and then sauteing with fresh garlic, onions and a TINY SLIVER of a ghost pepper.

After that I start it all cooking in my big ol' prison pot for about 5 hours while mixing about 15 different spices and herbs in.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #3

WM, you cook chili very similiar to the way i do. in huge batches!

my personal preference for meat in my chili is a blend of venison, beef and pork sausage.

i have been thinking about making a poultry based chili, using more green vegatables rather than red ones. maybe chicken or turkey meat based. still thinking that one over.

one of my methods of cooking the meat is that i seperate the onions, bell peppers and hot peppers into two batches. one batch is chopped up an cooked with the meat to add some it's flavor to the meat while it cooks. and i use an iron skillet for cooking the meat. the other batch is chopped up and put into the main cooking pot along with the fresh tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and Rotel tomatoes with chili peppers an all the beans. for beans, i use four different types, including, red kidney beans, Ranch Style beans, chili beans and pinto beans.

for the hot peppers i use what i can find many time locally. usually jalopenos, poblanos and cerrano peppers. this is where i would like to try out some different peppers to see about changing the flavor profile, but i just have to rely on what i can get most of the time.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #4

Liked 956 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Mmmm, chilli; one of the best foods known to man. Also, it makes me fart something HORRIBLE. Here's mine;

1 Lb 85% burger, browned

spanish or sweet onion

1 can fire roasted tomatoes

1 small can tomato paste

1 packet McCormick Chilli mix

1 bell pepper

1 TBS brown sugar

1/2 TSP dried habanero pepper flakes

Dump in the crock pot, and cook for at LEAST 4 hours, the 1st 2 hours or so on high. WILL be even better the following day.

This is the recipe I've developed over a few years. It's nearly where I want it, except that I'd like to calm down the acidy taste a little, and add a little more tomatoey taste somehow.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

44-40pro Likes This 
Old 03-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Mmmm, chilli; one of the best foods known to man. Also, it makes me fart something HORRIBLE. Here's mine;

1 Lb 85% burger, browned

spanish or sweet onion

1 can fire roasted tomatoes

1 small can tomato paste

1 packet McCormick Chilli mix

1 bell pepper

1 TBS brown sugar

1/2 TSP dried habanero pepper flakes

Dump in the crock pot, and cook for at LEAST 4 hours, the 1st 2 hours or so on high. WILL be even better the following day.

This is the recipe I've developed over a few years. It's nearly where I want it, except that I'd like to calm down the acidy taste a little, and add a little more tomatoey taste somehow.
try increasing the amount of brown sugar or adding in some molasses, and try some adding in some fresh diced tomatoes.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #6

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 985

I don't really have a pat recipe, chili just sorta happens here depending on the ingredients at hand. Definitely interested in what others here do.

I like to do the roast and other meat in a cast iron skillet in the oven, they just don't turn out as tasty in a crock pot. And I like to soak/cook dry beans instead of using canned, except you can get away with canned red kidney beans. Fresh tomatoes around here just don't work out so I used canned diced tomatoes and Rotel with chili peppers. Fresh onions, garlic, red and green peppers, jalapenos, you name it. Lots of meat, lots of cooked pintos, lots of peppers, lots of MEAN!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-21-2014, 12:46 AM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7036 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 8481

I put beer in my chili. Along with brown sugar and cocoa powder. Black beans, cannolini beans, red,yellow,orange sweet peppers, Srirachi sauce, beef, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder. Onions. I start it in a pot on the stove top but I put it in the Crock Pot to simmer all day. I make enough to feed me for a week.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:57 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5520 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

If its got beans its not chili.

You can put anything in there including rusty lugnuts, but if its got beans its not chili.

If you go to the great texas chili cookoff you get automatic disqualified for beans and likely arrested for crimes against humanity.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-21-2014, 01:43 AM   #9

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
If its got beans its not chili.

You can put anything in there including rusty lugnuts, but if its got beans its not chili.

If you go to the great texas chili cookoff you get automatic disqualified for beans and likely arrested for crimes against humanity.
What does someone from Wisconsin know about chili! That's as bad as NYC.

Beans, yes!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

WonderingMind Likes This 
Old 03-21-2014, 01:57 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 801 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

This is my 3 meat Chili with beans.........Beef, Pork, & Venison...........You won`t get the recipe...

003.jpg  

When all else fails.

44-40pro Likes This