Chicken coop.... - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Chicken coop....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #81
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8590 Times on 4962 Posts
Likes Given: 11152

If I were to do it again today I would build a "Chicken Tractor" so I could move it all over and keep them protected from predators. My only problem is I don't have much in the way of flat pasture to move it around on!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

One of our chickens was my pet when I was a kid. Great big RI Red rooster named Rojo. He was as big as I was, would eat out of my hand and let me pet him. He was the guard dog. we never had a fox or coyote problem until he died from old age. He even killed the neighbors beagle, and roosted on top of our catahoula's doghouse.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 748 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1753

Yesterday I acquired 8 more chickens, all Silkies, 7 hens and a gorgeous white rooster. Within 3 hours of placing them in the pen with the 6 laying hens, the rooster was busy trying to mount every hen in the pen, chasing the reluctant ones all over the enclosure. At one point he was even chasing the male guinea. It was hilarious! He was bloodied around his comb where some of the bigger hens had pecked him when they took exception to his amorous behavior, but that did not deter him a bit.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
Yesterday I acquired 8 more chickens, all Silkies, 7 hens and a gorgeous white rooster. Within 3 hours of placing them in the pen with the 6 laying hens, the rooster was busy trying to mount every hen in the pen, chasing the reluctant ones all over the enclosure. At one point he was even chasing the male guinea. It was hilarious! He was bloodied around his comb where some of the bigger hens had pecked him when they took exception to his amorous behavior, but that did not deter him a bit.
Ever think perhaps they really picked an appropriate name in "cock"?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #85
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 748 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1753

Oh, most definitely!

Old 10-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 717 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 422

Some great information in these comments. I agree a good solid layer is the Rhode Island Red. Gives you brown eggs. Good temperament. Generally hens lay best their first year, then gradually drop off in production for the next two years or so, at which time they are about ready for the pot. The cholesterol in the yolks of free-range chickens is not a concern. In fact, from everything I've read, it's good for you. Cholesterol in the yolk is directly related to what the chicken eats. Chickens raised in egg factories are fed the most gross animal by-product feed imaginable. That's the problem. Roosters are important if the chickens free-range. A good one will keep the hens together and supervise the egg-laying process.
Important things about a rooster: Don't have a 'pet chicken' in the flock if you have a rooster. They are extremely territorial and will punish that chicken beyond reason. And when, not if, they make that first 'rooster move' on you , have your foot ready to administer the body blow that teaches them respect. My wife failed to do that to the first rooster we had and she couldn't leave the house without a stick to beat him off. I finally had to butcher him. At the present time I have six hens and a rooster that I started last spring. I've been getting six eggs, sometimes five, all summer. Of course when winter sets in production will drop. Like I said, they're generally good for a couple of years, then I start over. IMO, they're well worth the trouble. But they are the stupidest bird
on God's green earth. One of mine, when she's frightened, figuratively puts her wings over her eyes and
runs out across the field in wild circles. (Like a chicken with her head cut off?) :>)

Old 10-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #87

Liked 1564 Times on 940 Posts
Likes Given: 358

I have given up on the chickens where I live, between the hawks, the owls and the damn coyoties, I can't do anything except provide gourmet banquets for the animal kingdom.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #88

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

YEA...I lost one to the owls.....

Old 10-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
It's easy. We have 19 chickens right now.

They drink a lot more water than you can believe.

Make sure predators can't get to them. Don't know what you have where you are, but we have to be aware of chicken hawks during the day and foxes and raccoons at night. Make sure they're inside at night and no one can get to them.

You have to clean the shavings on the floor of the coop out once a week at least.

They're about the stupidest animal on the planet, but they're actually kinda fun.

Good luck!
Ohhh ... that is pushing it. Congress, maybe?
But I find the idea of raising chicken interesting. Lots of luck indeed!

Old 10-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #90

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Love this thread! Wish i seen it sooner. Lot of good information.

I just started my backyard chickens Ameraucanas. They are suppoed to poop green and blue-green eggs. Haven't seen any yet. Expecting some in December. Just started them on crushed oyster shells.

Right now they are in a rabbit hutch. I thought it was for chickens but they can't
stand up all the way in it. So i'm looking for a new one. I have only 2 hens in my
small backyard. The wife loves them and I get great compost. There are a lot
fewer bugs and weeds in the yard now.

I'll have to get more recent pictures of them.

More pics: Reader Request: Chick Update! |

Where i live in Commi-fornia, the local city ordinance tells me that I need to get
an animal fancier's permit to keep them and I'm not allowed to have a rooster (i'm
fine without the rooster).

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101