Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Chicken coop....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe they're just closing their eyes so you can't see them, all the while chuckling at you.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #72

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Yes something must of tipped them-off that I was looking for them....The last two nights,nothing has been sturring around the yard or the woods treeline....They are probably lol at me.....

Old 08-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #73

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I lived in Pahrump nevada for a few years 56 miles north west of Vegas.I had chickens on a acre and a quarter that bodered BLM land. They had hawks and owls but I never had trouble with them. It was the coyotes that drove me nuts.They would not give up trying to get my chickens.I shot three out of the back yard with my 10-22 and the nieghbor shot one out of my yard and two out of his with his old m-1 carbine.I finaly got a fence up and turned my old red bone hound out side. He didnt like that much having been spoiled to sleeping indoors. But the coyote problem ceased. A coyote even in packs are frightened of a aggresive red bone.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:11 AM   #74

Liked 668 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 1662

This thread ain't too old to resurrect. I finally joined the chicken club this week. After spending the last two weekends putting a wire (2"x4" mesh welded steel fencing wire) cover over the 20'x30' dog pen that came with the property, Wife and I went to see a man about some chickens he had advertised on Craigslist. We brought home a six-pack of young layers: 2 each of Rhode Island Reds, Barred Plymouth Rocks, and Buff Orpingtons. All good dual-purpose breeds that lay brown eggs. So far they've dropped 14 eggs in the first three days in the new digs.

Tomorrow I'm going to get nine Silkies - eight hens and a rooster. I'm thinking about adding a few more before I have enough. Funniest thing so far is our guinea's reaction to the new birds. He noticed them right away, and stayed near the pen most of the time.

Yesterday evening after work, I went in to give them some laying pellets I had just picked up, and tossed the remnants of scratch feed from the pan into the grass. While the girls were hitting the scratch like it was candy, I left the pen, and left the door open. Took about 2 minutes for Blue (the guinea) to stroll through the open door into the enclosure. Ha, gotcha, bud! We'd been trying to get him in the pen for days to no avail, after some critter got his mate a few weeks ago, we figured it was just a matter of time before it came back for the other bird. He's going to stay in the pen until we get some more guineas. For now he's stuck with the chickens.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #75

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I be having six Production Red hens, Latin name (Pecker heads) After four and a half months they started laying a few small eggs. They're now 7 months old and I get 5-6 grade A large brown eggs daily. With just the two of us, we can't give them away fast enough here in the country. So, I designate some of them, "multi-purpose" eggs. They make wonderful precision exploding targets along with my excess grown watermelons and cantaloupe. I built a 8'X8' chicken run they appreciate. I would prefer to let them free range to thin out the Tick population around here, but I have way to many predators eye balling them already. I use what's called the "deep litter method". Starting off with about 3-4 inches of wood shavings in the coop, and adding a bucket full of shavings every week. I replace the litter roughly at 3 month intervals. The chicken droppings mixed in the shavings will generate a little extra heat in the coop this winter. I need to purchase a heated waterer shortly to keep their water from freezing this winter. I have a 18" strip of chicken wire surrounding the base of the run to prevent a predator from digging into the run / house. The top is also covered in chicken wire to prevent the many hawks from ruining my chickens perfectly good day. With the exception of my wife, a chicken has to be the dumbest creature on the planet

Old 10-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #76
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6635 Times on 4014 Posts
Likes Given: 7875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
With the exception of my wife, a chicken has to be the dumbest creature on the planet

Old 10-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #77

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

What we did was built our chicken pen just like a dog pen with a coop in one end. Like a shed. It was tall enough to walk into, had shelves on 3 walls, and some roosts in the center for the roosters. All the chicken wire around it had the bottom edge buried about 1 foot in the ground, with old bricks laid around the bottom. We only had to worry about foxes and coyotes.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #78

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
With the exception of my wife, a chicken has to be the dumbest creature on the planet
Can she play the piano?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #79
fmj

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

i dont have chickens...but i was reading and thinking about the predator problems...

Large prime coon hides are getting from $20 and up....prime red fox pelts getting $50 and up. Not sure what mink are bringing in at this time but i am sure its a goodly amount.

My point? Those predators hides aint just chicken feed..or should i say worth a lot of chicken feed. Theys worth a good bit of scratch, chicken scratch that is!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #80
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Can she play the piano?
I loved the piano-playing chickens at Opryland when i was a kid. Pavlov did some good work.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.