Chicken coop.... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Chicken coop....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you can, make sure you have one rooster. A rooster will act as your guard dog and will 'try' to protect his flock. And make sure you can lock them in at night so raccoons can't get them. We lost one chicken to a fox before we got a rooster and lost one to a raccoon before we locked them in. Predators are your biggest concern. Hawks are the other one that can get them if you let the free range. Even if you lose some the eggs you'll get are worth every penny. They are just not the same garbage you get at the store. Plus it's fun the watch them. Good luck.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 04-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #12

Liked 130 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 246

A Rooster at 6:00am...every morning ...now your scaring me...That sounds like H3ll on earth...just kidding...Hawks..You guys got everything covered...I guess you can't stop a Rooster from crowing till later in the day,like tricking him or something??....

Old 04-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #13

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
A Rooster at 6:00am...every morning ...now your scaring me...That sounds like H3ll on earth...just kidding...Hawks..You guys got everything covered...I guess you can't stop a Rooster from crowing till later in the day,like tricking him or something??....
He's right, you MUST have a rooster.

And just as many roosters crow at different times of the day as those that crow at dawn, so it's kind of a crapshoot in that respect.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #14

Liked 130 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 246

I thought all Roosters crowed only in the morning.....

Old 04-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #15

Quote:
negatory....

Old 04-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Nope, they crow when ever they want through out the day. I used to think they crowed when ever a hen laid an egg but that's not true either. Just when they want. They are a necessary evil. Needed to guard the flock if free ranging. Not needed if you have an enclosed yard but that gets expensive fast.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 04-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #17

Inside our coop. Rooster in the middle. $hit everywhere.

Ours are only two months old. For the first several weeks, they were kept strictly inside. We starting letting them out three weeks ago. They are still very timid about going outside, but they tiptoe out a little further every day.
inside.jpg   venturing.jpg   coop.jpg  

Old 04-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #18

Do you have a Naked Neck or is she just molting? The are the strangest looking chickens, sometimes called Turkens but have nothing to do with a turkey at all. To put this on a gun related note....what are you going to shoot them with? Just kidding of course.
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #19

Yeah, we have three or four Naked-Necks.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #20

That's a good looking and functional coop you have there. Looks a lot like mine except mine is metal. We only have six with one rooster. Figure that's all the eggs we need even considering the fact that free range eggs are more healthy than the commercial ones.
Patriot Guard Rider