Chicken coop.... - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Chicken coop....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #91
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
Where i live in Commi-fornia, the local city ordinance tells me that I need to get
an animal fancier's permit to keep them and I'm not allowed to have a rooster (i'm
fine without the rooster).
My current chicken sedan (its a four door) was built by my buddy who lives in San Jose. His son was in 4H and wanted to do some breeding but they couldn't have roosters so he was keeping the breeding pairs in the coops he built at my place. He still has a dozen or so hens at his house. The city of SJ says that you can only have a couple, and no roosters.

I also keep honey bees in Los Gatos where it is technically illegal to so. I call it guerrilla beekeeping.

I wouldn't bother with the permits. Screw them! Your neighbors can be bribed with fresh eggs to keep them from turning you in.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #92
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Viking Dad, Los Gatos is practically San Jose, and I think Fremont has similar
rules. I would love to keep bees, but there are 2 things stopping me. the City
(i have to have a full acre of land) and another ordinance from inside my house
(1 guess ).

QUESTION:
Are your neighbors more or less likely to notice/complain about Bees or a Rooster?
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 10-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #93

Quote:
Are your neighbors more or less likely to notice/complain about Bees or a Rooster?
A rooster. Bees are everywhere already so a few more will hardly be noticed unless somebody sees your hives and freaks out. But a rooster crowing at 4:30 AM is a high priority target.

Dave

Old 10-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #94
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Love this thread! Wish i seen it sooner. Lot of good information.

I just started my backyard chickens Ameraucanas. They are suppoed to poop green and blue-green eggs. Haven't seen any yet. Expecting some in December. Just started them on crushed oyster shells.

Right now they are in a rabbit hutch. I thought it was for chickens but they can't
stand up all the way in it. So i'm looking for a new one. I have only 2 hens in my
small backyard. The wife loves them and I get great compost. There are a lot
fewer bugs and weeds in the yard now.

I'll have to get more recent pictures of them.

More pics: Reader Request: Chick Update! |

Where i live in Commi-fornia, the local city ordinance tells me that I need to get
an animal fancier's permit to keep them and I'm not allowed to have a rooster (i'm
fine without the rooster).
No rooster? When I raised them as a kid I only got a couple naturally and they didn't last to long.

I miss you Beaky.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #95
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Viking Dad, Los Gatos is practically San Jose, and I think Fremont has similar
rules. I would love to keep bees, but there are 2 things stopping me. the City
(i have to have a full acre of land) and another ordinance from inside my house
(1 guess ).

QUESTION:
Yeah, a rooster is definitely more of a noticeable thing with the neighbors. My hives in LG (I have 6 at one location in town) and there is a guy right next door who has 4 or 5 as well. There is a church right next door and they know about my hives. Sometimes when I am working the hives people will come and just watch.

I know several people in Fremont who keep bees in town. Just don't say anything and nobody will know! Take a look at the Beekeeper's Guild if you have any interest. Santa Clara Valley Beekeepers Guild

You can come to the meetings and you don't have to have any bees yourself. Good info is available there. There are some people who keep bees in apartment buildings in the city, so it can be done in very little space.

Heck, the Obamas have beehives on the White House grounds yet from what I hear keeping bees in DC is illegal (or at least it used to be.)

Old 10-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #96
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1018 Times on 494 Posts
Likes Given: 618

Yesterday disaster struck my chicken flock. I had eight Rhode Island Reds, six hens and two roosters. This is from the eight 'all pullets' I
bought at the feed store this last spring. They free-range during the day and I shut them up in a spare horse stall at night. The stall is also where
I have the nests. About 4:00 PM yesterday our indoor Jack Russell alarmed and when I checked outside three dogs were in the middle of my
flock having the time of their life. I grabbed my 12 Gauge Mossy and 'commenced firing.' When the smoke cleared I had two dead dogs, one
crippled dog who managed to escape, one dead hen that they had already killed, one injured hen and one rooster minus his tail feathers. Today we're medicating the injured hen with Wound-Kote, but she's crippled so there isn't much hope. The dogs had no collars and, in fact may be 'wild.'
Such is life when you have free-range chickens. Only two eggs today.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #97

For little guys those Jack Russells sure do take things seriously. I'm glad he was able to alert you before more damage was done to your flock.

I don't see many around here, but in Ohio where I grew up there were a lot of feral dogs. They were the only animal I was likely to encounter in the woods that worried me. Well, and skunks.

Dave

Old 10-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #98

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This be them. Make sure the critters can't dig under the run.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #99
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1018 Times on 494 Posts
Likes Given: 618

Thanks, Hinermad! Yeah. They are serious little dogs. I caught a skunk in a Havahart trap under the bird feeder once. Bad scene! Today the wounded chicken is just sitting in a nest. Her leg is hurt and may be internal damage. I don't have much hope for her but we'll see. I turned the rest out just for an hour or so late this afternoon. They are acting OK. Tomorrow will be a normal day for them.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #100

Liked 1317 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 651

rotten eggs float , good eggs sink and 85lb german boxers love em too
chickens will also eat diazinon pesticide , they die real quick after that lol

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”