Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   chenging shooting ranges (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/chenging-shooting-ranges-52946/)

lonewolf101 12-03-2011 01:17 PM

chenging shooting ranges

Do you think that this range I want to join should be able to tell me that I have to be a member of the NRA before I join?.The range I go to now is about 37 miles 1 way! the new 1 alot closer to me.

neilage66 12-03-2011 01:32 PM

Their range - their rules...it's as simple as that.
Aren't you a member of the NRA already as a gun owning American?
Join.
If nothing else, you'll have a nice magazine subscription.

eta: Cheng is a common name in China.

trip286 12-03-2011 02:00 PM

yeah the only reason I'm a member is because membership is a christmas gift from my step dad every year. I like the magazine.

lonewolf101 12-03-2011 02:13 PM

thats one thing to look foward to the magizine I gotta call today.

PanBaccha 12-03-2011 03:07 PM

Sounds more to me like extortion. Join up or else beat it. :(

Jeepergeo 12-03-2011 03:09 PM

Their sandbox, their rules.

Join the NRA and your mail box will rarely be empty. It does not matter how much you give...just a membership or an extra donation...you'll simply get more and more junk mail from NRA. How much of your membership fee goes to sending you mail asking for more money?

trip286 12-03-2011 03:44 PM

Guys, I would just buy an enjoyable magazine subscription (American Rifleman) and move on with my life. I must throw away 500 pounds of junk mail a year, and that's a conservative estimation, and it's a very small fraction, minuscule really, that comes from the NRA. the rest is from local chain stores and car dealerships.

And I only get about one or two emails a week from the NRA, that's nothing compared to the thread subscription notices from this site. I'll figure out how to stop that one day.

c3shooter 12-03-2011 09:49 PM

I belong to a range that has that requirement. We have it for a reason- politics aside.

Any of you ever been involved in serving on the board of an association? Figured out how much dues had to be to cover expenses? One of the big expenses is liability insurance. We get a major break on rates by being an NRA affiliated association.

We are a non-profit corporation, just had to raise membership to $150 per year. Would be double that except for the affiliation.

trip286 12-03-2011 09:52 PM

Wow, had no idea it could be like that.

coolsteve 12-03-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 642628)
We get a major break on rates by being an NRA affiliated association.

Same with my gun club. The NRA has all kinds of benefits for affiliated clubs/ranges. But club/range members have to be NRA members as well for their group to qualify for them.